Lima What to Pack

Most Recent What to Pack in Lima

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

Comfortable Walking Shoes

by TooTallFinn24 Written Oct 9, 2011

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Peruvians dress casually. If walking around the City Center, Miraflores, and other areas be sure and have good walking shoes. Walking shoes in Peru are not always available in a great variety of sizes.

Cash

by MovingMere Updated Feb 2, 2007

Miscellaneous: This is probably a general tip for most cities you'll travel in, but be sure you bring cash. Traveler's checks are of course safer, but you don't want to rely on them because the lines at the bank are so long. You can easily spend an hour of your afternoon waiting in line and then waiting for you bank to approve. Cash can be exchanged at lots of booths, but check around to get the best exchange rate.

• MovingMere's Profile Photo

Sunscreen is expensive at the beach

by MovingMere Written Feb 2, 2007

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: If you are going to the beach, you will probably want to use sunscreen and it is much cheaper to buy inland than near the beach. They sell SPF up to 100, which we thought was kind of silly, but once we got on the beach and realized how hot it could get, it made a little more sense. I don't think it increases that much in effectiveness over 50, but it might make you feel better.

Luis didn't use any (he didn't burn but he peeled), and I used 15 and for the most part was fine, only getting burned where I missed a spot. Geraldine, a lighter-skinned Peruvian, uses 30-45.

Very dry

by MovingMere Written Feb 1, 2007

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: A raincoat

Just kidding, it never rains in Lima. :) But even in the summer, it does get a little chilly when the sun goes down, so bring at least a light jacket. During the day in the summer, it is very dry and warm.

• christian99's Profile Photo

travel light

by christian99 Written Nov 16, 2004

Luggage and bags: Pack your luggage yourself and keep it with you at all times. Do not carry anything through customs for anybody else. You are advised not to take coca leaves/coca tea out of the country. It is illegal to import these items into the UK.
    Drug trafficking is a serious crime in Peru and drug smugglers face severe penalties, usually receiving long terms of imprisonment. Conditions in Peruvian prisons are unpleasant.

• j2po's Profile Photo

by j2po Updated Feb 5, 2004

Luggage and bags: Bring Repellent, a good wind braker (this is not Chicago, but you may still need it!), and some extra money for bottled water.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: The weather is mostly warm, the lowest temperature in Lima is maybe 10'C so don't bring many winter clothing... unless you are planning to go to the Andes (that's cold). It doesn't rain in Lima, so don't worry so much about that.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: REPELLENT! And just the usual. Remember to be extremely careful with the water you drink, so you may want to bring some Purifying tablets.

Photo Equipment: If you are into photography, remember that Lima is usually a gray and cloudy city. Around Lima it will be hard to find film or batteries, but you can find virtualy anything you may need in Lima, even for medium or large formats.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Bring your Sleeping Bag, a tent and your bathing suit (if you are a girl, bring the smallest bikini you have please)... and if you go to one of the beaches around Lima during summer, be ready to party really hard! It would be a good Idea to bring your Surf Board or your Mountain Bike, there are pretty cool places for Xtreme sports near Lima. But forget about Snowboarding!!!

Miscellaneous: What else? I don't know... bring your dog, whatever you want; just enjoy the ride!

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

someone to stop and smell the flowers with...

by richiecdisc Written Mar 9, 2003

thanks Doreen

Miscellaneous: Lima's a great city to just stroll around, enjoy the sights and stop in where you fancy for something to eat or drink. It's nice to have someone to do that with like Doreen. She's willing to try new things and helps me to not rush about as I might normally do. Thanks for sharing our first amazing trip together. I'm sure there will be many more... :)

• mrsusher's Profile Photo

by mrsusher Updated Aug 26, 2002

Luggage and bags: I travel light to all my trips, that way I can stuff my luggage with my shopping finds. I always take a travel backpack(one that converts into a small packet when not in use) It helps me carry all of my finds and I can store them without looking too touristy.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Before I leave to any trip, I look at weather.com. That way I bring clothes accordingly. I bring clothes that are conservative, and that don't say 'look at me I am a tourist!!' I also bring confortable walking shoes.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: In my toiletry I always have the usual, q-tips, cotton rounds for my face, sun block for the face, toothbrush, toothpaste, toner, moisturizer, noxema for cleaning the face,razor, parfum, under eye cream, shampoo, conditioner, make up, tums, vitamins, etc. And everything is in tiny containers.

Photo Equipment: I usually bring my digital and 35mm.

• Luis_Alberto's Profile Photo

by Luis_Alberto Written Aug 24, 2002

Miscellaneous: I mentioned before that Lima does not have weather extremes, there's not a real winter season as in the Northern Hemisphere or very hot summers, having said that, you do need a light jacket or sweater in the evenings, especially between the months of April to November.

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo

Inca Trail

by frankcanfly Updated Sep 12, 2002

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Parts of the ancient 'Inca Trail' go through Lima. No, we didn't hike it, just stopping for a photo.

Instant Answers: Lima

Comments

Lima What to Pack

Reviews and photos of Lima what to pack posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Lima sightseeing.