Around Lima, Lima

Old Town Covered Shopping Area
    Street Scene Old Town Lima
    Ornamental Balcoby Downtown Lima
  • pschles's Profile Photo

Lima is not as dangerous as many others suggest

by pschles Written Sep 9, 2014

I am a born and raised New Englander who has been living in and around Lima since 2007. Like many other cities in the world, in Lima there are people who will try to take advantage of you. However, the great majority of Peruvians are very warm, friendly people who are interested in talking to you and helping you get where you need to go and they don't want you to have any problems. Some of the warnings are valid, but not confined to Lima (don't go anywhere with a stranger, especially one who comes up unannounced; don't accept drinks from women or anyone who you do not really know; choose your own taxi and driver by flagging them down at the curb and negotiate the price; don't use taxi men who approach you at the airport to ask if you need a ride, as they are most often selling you a higher priced ticket and they pay a cheaper driver the real fare and keep the difference; always keep up your guard; don't fall asleep in a taxi, bus, bar, or restaurant; do be careful when approached by women, regardless of how beautiful they might seem; don't go anywhere with them that they suggest; do not flash dollars/euros or even show where you keep your wallet -- Take sufficient money out before entering a bar, taxi, moto, and put it somewhere in a pocket only you know outside your wallet; knapsacks are worn in the front in a crowd, and carried at your feet on a bus, never on your back because you can't defend it; do your homework, learn some key phrases/questions, and responses in local language Castellano Spanish; do not raise your voice unnecessarily; do not stare/look women in the eye as they will think you have a different interest, and a women who look in your eyes continually usually do; keep your distance from women, acceptable personal space is further than in other countries; don't be easily distracted; don't put things in easily accessible pockets when on a bus or in a collectivo; ask policemen/women, security guards, peace officers (serenazgo) for reliable directions). Many travellers stay in the Miraflores/San Isidro area and away from the mercado central, center of Lima, but those who avoid the downtown will miss most of Peru's history, beauty, and great people, Most Peruvians don't go to the tourist areas because they cannot afford the prices to get there or pay for goods and services. Going to Larco Mar is a given for a tourist, but a great luxury for the average Peruvian. There are great malls, museums, markets, buildings and abundant transportation to get to and from.

• Lima Gastronomic Tour

by MafiCerdena Written Aug 9, 2012

I took this culinary and city tour in Lima 2 months ago and it was espectacular! I took the day tour, on which the guide picked me up from my hotel and then we went to a local coffee shop. After the coffee shop we visited a local market, where I was able to try these amazing peruvian fruits. Later we went to a restaurant called Embarcadero 41, where I prepared my own ceviche and pisco sour, it was both fun and delicious. Finally I ate lunch at an emblematic restaurant called La Huaca Pucllana, famous for its great food and local ruins inside. As expected, the peruvian dishes I ate were mouth-watering! In between stops we also visited and drove along the most beatiful and emblematic districs of Lima, such as San Isidro, Barranco and Miraflores. If you like museums or dance shows ( typical dances), there are extended tours and night tours. It's really a MUST DO experience you won't regret!

Lunch at La Huaca Pucllana
    • Museum Visits

Parque de los Leyendes

by hawkhead Written Apr 13, 2012

So much more than a zoo, although the zoo is contained within the grounds and is very interesting. There are areas devoted to the archaeological, the zoological and botanical diversity of Peru, with several museum on site. The whole site is situated on part of the old area of Maranga and this is not forgotten and one is able to see some of the old walls and several huacas. There is also a large boating lake where one can rent boats. Also a train to take rides around the area. You can easily spend a whole day here, visiting the zoo and general enjoying the environment.

• Photography
    • Zoo

Circuito Magico del Agua/Migical Water Tour

Magic Water Circuit

The Magic Water Circuit, recently inaugurated in the Reserve Park, has become one of the newest and most visited attraction in Lima. Honored with a Guinness Record and unique in the Americas, this circuit offers thirteen impressive fountains that combine movement, lights, sounds and images. An amazing show to enjoy with all the family. The fountains are truly spectacular and it is enjoyable to walk through the park, mingling with locals having a wonderful time.

Reserve Park, Santa Beatriz - Wednesday through Sunday from 4:00PM - General Admission: S/.4.00 soles

• Seniors
    • Photography

Very good value

by hawkhead Written Apr 13, 2012

The 'borough' of Miraflores runs a whole lot of trips by coach to various places. The trips range from a half day to several days. We took the one to Pacacamac (1/2-3/4 day), to Carel and Lunahuana, both day trips. All trips were excellent value for money and are not expensive. The bi-lingual guide had a very good grasp of English, which is not often the case even when 'bi-lingual' is touted. All information can be obtained from the Miraflores tourist information booth situated in Parque Kennedy.

• Archeology
    • Seniors

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

Walking Around Colorful Old Town Lima

by TooTallFinn24 Written Nov 14, 2011

Old Town Lima I found to be remarkably safe. There were many old buildings painstakingly restored. Vibrant colors abounded. Several interesting balconies of wrought iron protruded in the street. Every so often there was a small square. By all means walk Old Town Lima and then come up to the Plaza Mayor or as old timers call it the Plaza De Armas.

Colorful Homes Abound Old Town Covered Shopping Area Street Scene Old Town Lima Ornamental Balcoby Downtown Lima

• sevynaturel's Profile Photo

Head up to the mountains

by sevynaturel Written Apr 11, 2011

About 2 hours northeast of Lima, is a small village called Canta. You can get there by taking a cab in Carabayllo and will take you about 2 hours. The drive to get up there is great once you get in the mountains. The town itself is home to about 800 people, very nice and friendly. It can get rather cold at night, but during the day, it's just plain amazing. You can talk a walk (about 4 kilometers) to Obrajillo, down in the valley, where you will be able to do some horseback riding or just some trekking in the mountains. There are some cozy little tourist rooms for about 20-25 soles a night, but many people just bring along a tent and sleep outside. That is a perfect haven for relaxing and getting in touch with nature when you get a headache from the Lima noise and traffic....

In the evening it can get rather cold and foggy

• sevynaturel's Profile Photo

Head up to the mountains

by sevynaturel Written Apr 11, 2011

• Monica Tours for a day in Lima

by deac83 Written Jun 5, 2010

I had heard about Monica Tours via Virtual Tourist and contacted her via e-mail to make arrangements. I was looking for a guide/driver that could take me around Lima for the day during my layover at the Lima airport. I had 8-10 hours available before my late night flight. Monica has an hourly rate with a minimum of 6 hours for her guide/driver services.

Monica’s service was perfect for what I wanted to do while in Lima. I wanted to see a few of the historical sites and sample the food at some of the famous restaurants in Lima. She was at the airport waiting with a sign with my name on it as planned.

Given that I knew what I wanted to do, Monica quickly began following my plan for the day. She got us downtown quickly (as quickly as you can in Lima) and we proceeded to go through my list. Monica pointed out other sites of interest as we were moving from one place to another. She was happy to follow my plan and did not try and change it.

Since I only had 8 hours in the city, I did not want or need a lot of details about the places we visited. She gave me the quick highlights and kept us moving. In fact at the catacombs of San Francisco she was able to get me out of the guided tour and we avoided having to be led around in a big group. We wound up being the only ones in the catacombs, which was certainly better than being there with a group of 20.

I found her English was quite good and we had no trouble communicating. Her driving is quite safe, especially when compared to the local taxi drivers.

If you are looking for someone that can quickly help you navigate Lima on a short stay, I high recommend Monica Tours.

• Business Travel

• staindesign's Profile Photo

San Cristobal

by staindesign Written Aug 12, 2009

For about 20 soles per person, take the bus up to San Cristobal. It is about a 20 minutes ride from the city up the mountain. On a clear day you can see all of Lima. Unfortunately, I went up in winter and the entire city was blocked by fog. It was still a great trip up, it is a very very high mountain. My ears even popped a bit going up. From the city you can see the cross that is on top. There is a few shops and a bathroom besides the cross on top, that is basically it!

the cross the view going up the mountain can you believe there is trash on the mountain?! Kitties up on the mountain

• Bike Tours in Lima

by peroche Written Oct 4, 2008

I've been to Lima several times but have not spent too much time in the coast, so doing the bike tour around the bay was a great way to see the area. We went through 3 beautiful neighborhoods and had an excellent tour guide who knew the city well and was very accomodating to us taking pictures wherever we wanted and answering all our questions. I liked all the spots we hit which I felt were important to see at least once while in Lima. I was a little weary at first of doing any type of bike tour in Lima, considering all the traffic, etc...but once we started, I felt perfectly safe and happy. I would highly recommend this bike tour to anybody!, there are different routes (downtown, night, etc.) you can choose from. Moreover, you can also rent a bike to do your own trips.

• Cycling
    • Eco-Tourism

• Erotic Pottery at the MUSEO LARCO

by Denverite Updated Aug 18, 2008

When in Lima, you have to visit Museo Larco. It's gorgoues and the most unique place in Lima. It's been voted #1 on tripadvisor.com and has been featured in the NY times travel section. It really is a must see.

At the Museo Larco you will get a complete pre-colonial history of Peru. It helps prepare any traveler for the rest of their stay in PERU. I know someone who after visiting this museum changed his flight to stay longer.....

After wondering the amazing storage deposits, you'll want to stay for a bite at the Cafe del Museo, which was started by the famous Peruvian Chef Gaston Acurio.

• MUSEO LARCO and Ancient Erotica!

by Denverite Written Aug 15, 2008

So I stumbled upon the Museo Larco during my stay in Peru. I honestly wasn't very interested in visitng the museum and then I heard about the Erotic gallery there. Of course I didn't believe it and had to check it out for myself...and it's TRUE!!!! There is an amazing collection of Erotic pottery, that's unlike anything else you'll see in Peru. There is also a storage collection that's filled with thousands of objects that you can walk into. Not to mention the great cafe that they have in the museum's garden.

This place was my favorite thing in Peru!

Museo Larco, Lima Lima, Peru, Museo Larco Peru, Lima, Museo Larco Museo Larco Cafe del Museo, Lima, Peru, Museo Larco

• Zoo

by welove2travel Written Feb 24, 2008

I think this is a good zoo. There is a waterfall, sloths, monkeys, wild squirrels, huge cacti that look like trees, and so on. It's a fairly large zoo but it doesn't get too crowded. The zoo food wasn;t so great being the only negative.

• risse73's Profile Photo

Pollo Peruano

by risse73 Written Dec 7, 2007

The "pollo a la brasa" in Lima cannot be missed! It sure is better than the ones I had in other parts of the country. It's definitely tender, delicious, and mouth-watering! Que rico and muy sabroso!!! Enjoy!

There are many "pollo a la brasa" eateries all over Lima, so pick wisely and always ask the locals for the most authentic eatery that caters more to their tastes and not the tourists. I actually did and enjoyed the grub quite immensely. I just happen to now forget the name of the place where we got our to-die-for "pollo a la brasa."

Instant Answers: Lima