Around Lima, Lima

Street Scene Old Town Lima
  • Lima Gastronomic Tour

by MafiCerdena Written Aug 9, 2012

Lunch at La Huaca Pucllana

I took this culinary and city tour in Lima 2 months ago and it was espectacular! I took the day tour, on which the guide picked me up from my hotel and then we went to a local coffee shop. After the coffee shop we visited a local market, where I was able to try these amazing peruvian fruits. Later we went to a restaurant called Embarcadero 41, where I prepared my own ceviche and pisco sour, it was both fun and delicious. Finally I ate lunch at an emblematic restaurant called La Huaca Pucllana, famous for its great food and local ruins inside. As expected, the peruvian dishes I ate were mouth-watering! In between stops we also visited and drove along the most beatiful and emblematic districs of Lima, such as San Isidro, Barranco and Miraflores. If you like museums or dance shows ( typical dances), there are extended tours and night tours. It's really a MUST DO experience you won't regret!

• Museum Visits

Parque de los Leyendes

by hawkhead Written Apr 13, 2012

So much more than a zoo, although the zoo is contained within the grounds and is very interesting. There are areas devoted to the archaeological, the zoological and botanical diversity of Peru, with several museum on site. The whole site is situated on part of the old area of Maranga and this is not forgotten and one is able to see some of the old walls and several huacas. There is also a large boating lake where one can rent boats. Also a train to take rides around the area. You can easily spend a whole day here, visiting the zoo and general enjoying the environment.

• Photography
    • Zoo

Circuito Magico del Agua/Migical Water Tour

Magic Water Circuit

The Magic Water Circuit, recently inaugurated in the Reserve Park, has become one of the newest and most visited attraction in Lima. Honored with a Guinness Record and unique in the Americas, this circuit offers thirteen impressive fountains that combine movement, lights, sounds and images. An amazing show to enjoy with all the family. The fountains are truly spectacular and it is enjoyable to walk through the park, mingling with locals having a wonderful time.

Reserve Park, Santa Beatriz - Wednesday through Sunday from 4:00PM - General Admission: S/.4.00 soles

• Seniors
    • Photography

Very good value

by hawkhead Written Apr 13, 2012

The 'borough' of Miraflores runs a whole lot of trips by coach to various places. The trips range from a half day to several days. We took the one to Pacacamac (1/2-3/4 day), to Carel and Lunahuana, both day trips. All trips were excellent value for money and are not expensive. The bi-lingual guide had a very good grasp of English, which is not often the case even when 'bi-lingual' is touted. All information can be obtained from the Miraflores tourist information booth situated in Parque Kennedy.

• Archeology
    • Seniors

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

Walking Around Colorful Old Town Lima

by TooTallFinn24 Written Nov 14, 2011

Colorful Homes Abound

Old Town Lima I found to be remarkably safe. There were many old buildings painstakingly restored. Vibrant colors abounded. Several interesting balconies of wrought iron protruded in the street. Every so often there was a small square. By all means walk Old Town Lima and then come up to the Plaza Mayor or as old timers call it the Plaza De Armas.

• sevynaturel's Profile Photo

Head up to the mountains

by sevynaturel Written Apr 11, 2011

About 2 hours northeast of Lima, is a small village called Canta. You can get there by taking a cab in Carabayllo and will take you about 2 hours. The drive to get up there is great once you get in the mountains. The town itself is home to about 800 people, very nice and friendly. It can get rather cold at night, but during the day, it's just plain amazing. You can talk a walk (about 4 kilometers) to Obrajillo, down in the valley, where you will be able to do some horseback riding or just some trekking in the mountains. There are some cozy little tourist rooms for about 20-25 soles a night, but many people just bring along a tent and sleep outside. That is a perfect haven for relaxing and getting in touch with nature when you get a headache from the Lima noise and traffic....

• sevynaturel's Profile Photo

Head up to the mountains

by sevynaturel Written Apr 11, 2011

• Monica Tours for a day in Lima

by deac83 Written Jun 5, 2010

I had heard about Monica Tours via Virtual Tourist and contacted her via e-mail to make arrangements. I was looking for a guide/driver that could take me around Lima for the day during my layover at the Lima airport. I had 8-10 hours available before my late night flight. Monica has an hourly rate with a minimum of 6 hours for her guide/driver services.

Monica’s service was perfect for what I wanted to do while in Lima. I wanted to see a few of the historical sites and sample the food at some of the famous restaurants in Lima. She was at the airport waiting with a sign with my name on it as planned.

Given that I knew what I wanted to do, Monica quickly began following my plan for the day. She got us downtown quickly (as quickly as you can in Lima) and we proceeded to go through my list. Monica pointed out other sites of interest as we were moving from one place to another. She was happy to follow my plan and did not try and change it.

Since I only had 8 hours in the city, I did not want or need a lot of details about the places we visited. She gave me the quick highlights and kept us moving. In fact at the catacombs of San Francisco she was able to get me out of the guided tour and we avoided having to be led around in a big group. We wound up being the only ones in the catacombs, which was certainly better than being there with a group of 20.

I found her English was quite good and we had no trouble communicating. Her driving is quite safe, especially when compared to the local taxi drivers.

If you are looking for someone that can quickly help you navigate Lima on a short stay, I high recommend Monica Tours.

• Business Travel

• staindesign's Profile Photo

San Cristobal

by staindesign Written Aug 12, 2009

the cross

For about 20 soles per person, take the bus up to San Cristobal. It is about a 20 minutes ride from the city up the mountain. On a clear day you can see all of Lima. Unfortunately, I went up in winter and the entire city was blocked by fog. It was still a great trip up, it is a very very high mountain. My ears even popped a bit going up. From the city you can see the cross that is on top. There is a few shops and a bathroom besides the cross on top, that is basically it!

• Bike Tours in Lima

by peroche Written Oct 4, 2008

I've been to Lima several times but have not spent too much time in the coast, so doing the bike tour around the bay was a great way to see the area. We went through 3 beautiful neighborhoods and had an excellent tour guide who knew the city well and was very accomodating to us taking pictures wherever we wanted and answering all our questions. I liked all the spots we hit which I felt were important to see at least once while in Lima. I was a little weary at first of doing any type of bike tour in Lima, considering all the traffic, etc...but once we started, I felt perfectly safe and happy. I would highly recommend this bike tour to anybody!, there are different routes (downtown, night, etc.) you can choose from. Moreover, you can also rent a bike to do your own trips.

• Cycling
    • Eco-Tourism

• Erotic Pottery at the MUSEO LARCO

by Denverite Updated Aug 18, 2008

When in Lima, you have to visit Museo Larco. It's gorgoues and the most unique place in Lima. It's been voted #1 on tripadvisor.com and has been featured in the NY times travel section. It really is a must see.

At the Museo Larco you will get a complete pre-colonial history of Peru. It helps prepare any traveler for the rest of their stay in PERU. I know someone who after visiting this museum changed his flight to stay longer.....

After wondering the amazing storage deposits, you'll want to stay for a bite at the Cafe del Museo, which was started by the famous Peruvian Chef Gaston Acurio.

• MUSEO LARCO and Ancient Erotica!

by Denverite Written Aug 15, 2008

Museo Larco, Lima

So I stumbled upon the Museo Larco during my stay in Peru. I honestly wasn't very interested in visitng the museum and then I heard about the Erotic gallery there. Of course I didn't believe it and had to check it out for myself...and it's TRUE!!!! There is an amazing collection of Erotic pottery, that's unlike anything else you'll see in Peru. There is also a storage collection that's filled with thousands of objects that you can walk into. Not to mention the great cafe that they have in the museum's garden.

This place was my favorite thing in Peru!

• Zoo

by welove2travel Written Feb 24, 2008

I think this is a good zoo. There is a waterfall, sloths, monkeys, wild squirrels, huge cacti that look like trees, and so on. It's a fairly large zoo but it doesn't get too crowded. The zoo food wasn;t so great being the only negative.

• risse73's Profile Photo

Pollo Peruano

by risse73 Written Dec 7, 2007

The "pollo a la brasa" in Lima cannot be missed! It sure is better than the ones I had in other parts of the country. It's definitely tender, delicious, and mouth-watering! Que rico and muy sabroso!!! Enjoy!

There are many "pollo a la brasa" eateries all over Lima, so pick wisely and always ask the locals for the most authentic eatery that caters more to their tastes and not the tourists. I actually did and enjoyed the grub quite immensely. I just happen to now forget the name of the place where we got our to-die-for "pollo a la brasa."

• risse73's Profile Photo

A Must-Do Lima Tour

by risse73 Updated Dec 7, 2007

A scene during the Lima city tour

When in Lima, you cannot miss a Lima city tour. I remember going through all these wonderful sites during the tour: the old pre-Inca shrine--Huaca Huallamarca in San Isidro, San Isidro and Miraflores residential quarters, downtown Lima, Grand Bolivar hotel, Lima’s Plaza Mayor main square, the Presidential and Municipal Palaces, the Cathedral, the Museum of Religious Art, San Francisco church, Parque del Amor or Love Park, and "Larcomar"--the ocean-side mall.

I booked my city tour through City Discovery:

...and the price was right at $25 per person for about a 3 hour Lima City Tour.

• Women's Travel