Taxis, Lima

Know about this? Rate It!

• Driver in Lima

by JoeBirder Written Oct 11, 2008

I know this is too late for your trip, but we found Renato of http://www.taxilimaperu.com/ here on Virtual Tourist before our trip in September. For $15/hour, he drove us to Pantanos de Ville (great birding!), along the beach for Pelicans, and showed us around Lima. He's not much into birding, but if you know where you want to go, he's your guy.

• Taxi Cab in Lima, Peru

by mariadelpilar23 Written Sep 23, 2008

Hi, when I was in Lima, all was a mess because lots of people around taking buses and taxis. Well, the thing is that my friends recommended me to take a new taxi cab company and I liked it, its not very expensive like in the US . The company is called www.radiotaxi.com.pe and I order them by MSN.

What I liked most is that I only paid like $10 for 1 taxi cab hour!!! good attention and fast service. highly recommended.

• risse73's Profile Photo

Convenient Taxi Cab Service

by risse73 Updated Jun 30, 2008

Abel Morante, who was my driver, drove me around and cautioned me about some dangers in Lima as well as ended up taking me to a local polloria en route to the airport, which I requested him to do. We broke bread at the "polloria" and had a fast dinner since I was trying to board a flight an hour after. His business card has this contact info:

Abel Morante
    Phone#: 998225136
    E-mail: abel_morante42@hotmail.com

He provides a professional and courteous service as well as works very hard. I asked him if he takes visitors outside of the city, and he said yes. I guess you can negotiate a pre-fixed price for full day tours. Do give Abel's services a try when you're in Lima. You will not regret it.

• Archeology

• hartti's Profile Photo

Much Taxis

by hartti Updated Mar 23, 2008

Lada or Datsun Taxi, Maybe...

Here people use frequently taxis, because the common transportation is poor, and the cost is cheap. For short routes 3 soles ($1) is usual and from the center to some suburb 7 - 12 soles. Always ask the price before!

• Seniors

• Robin922's Profile Photo

Sight Seeing by Taxi

by Robin922 Written Mar 16, 2008

If you don’t speak Spanish, it can be done. However, to make it easier and a bit less stressful. Print out a list of the places you think you will want to see using their Spanish names before you leave. If you discover something that wasn’t on your list, have the hotel write it down for you.

Also carry your hotel’s name, address & phone number with you.
    Having a piece of paper and pen with you will help when negotiating prices if you don’t know your numbers in Spanish. Always negotiate your price before getting in the cab. They don’t use meters and each driver has his own rate.

• Cruise
    • Women's Travel

• Robin922's Profile Photo

Sight Seeing on Your Own – cruise ship

by Robin922 Written Mar 16, 2008

If you are here on a cruise ship, and want to do your own thing. You need to keep an eye on your time. To be safe allow at least 30 minutes from the historical part of town and an hour from Miraflores. It’s better to be a few minutes early, then see your ship leave without you.

One day isn’t much time. My suggestion would be to hit the historical area first. Then head out to Pachacamac (ruins), from here stop off at the market in Miraflores for your shopping, then head back to the ship.

• Cruise

• For a reliable cab service book with these people.

by tomy1971 Written Jul 7, 2007

I found a place online and I booked it, turned out to be the best service in town in my opinion, ON TIME everytime and great communication, the driver contacted me here in the us via email and is very fluent in english, and really knows his way around town, had him pick me up form the airport, gave me a tour of the city (all the main areas) and when the sad time came, he took me back to the airport. VERY Relaxing and pleasant trip that was.

If any of you are interested, I found him thru Google, the website is www.TaxiLimaPeru.com and ask for Renato, he's the one I had.

• ThiagoRamos's Profile Photo

Long distances - cheap taxis

by ThiagoRamos Written Feb 6, 2007

Lima is a huge city!!! If you are staying at the old city center, maybe you will be able to go everywhere walking (unless you are planning to visit Miraflores, Barranco or Callao).

But if you are staying at Miraflores, like I´ve done, it is impossible to go to the city center walking. A cab shall cost you around 10 soles, so don´t hesitate and take it. Save your legs to walk in Cusco!!!

• Museum Visits

• MovingMere's Profile Photo

abundant and affordable

by MovingMere Written Feb 2, 2007

If you arrive in Lima via plane, be aware that there will be a slew of taxi drivers waiting for you at the door. Had Luis not been with me, I would have actually been a bit nervous because of how aggressive they are. They're also pretty assertive at the bus stations, but the airport was the worst I experienced. Just tell them that you have a ride or car waiting for you and walk away. Once you get out of the parking lot and across the street, things will be calmer and you can find a cab just as quickly and more pleasantly there.

You should have in mind what kind of price you want to pay for a taxi to your destination before you approach the car. Like lots of goods and services, taxi prices in Peru are negotiable. There aren't meters in the cabs because the price is agreed upon before you step foot in the car. Don't be afraid to wave the driver thank you and approach the next car for his price because there are plenty of taxis. Also, when you're getting out of the car, be sure to grab your bag at the same time because the driver might not wait for you to turn around and retrieve it before he drives away.

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo

Airport taxis

by easterntrekker Written Oct 16, 2006

We found the taxis to be very reliable . When we arrived we had our hotel send a cab to pick us up ...it was very early around 5AM . The charge for two was $25.00 to Lima.

WE paid about $20.00 by cab going back to the airport . It's best for security not to flag a cab down...better to call from the hotel or restaurant.

• jpizquierdo's Profile Photo

Taking taxis in lima

by jpizquierdo Written Jul 14, 2006

Be prepared to bargain any taxi in lima because they don´t use taximeter, and as soon as they hear you talk weird they´ll charge you more then usual.
    Normaly short trip rate should be about 4 to 6 Soles , normal long distance n o more then 10…. If they say 10 you say 8…they are not expensive.

• Business Travel

• VolsUT's Profile Photo

Taxis are expencive

by VolsUT Written Mar 13, 2006

Taxi drives will attempt to wait on you after you have visited a place and do this over and over again in the hope that you will pay them $100 for a day long shofer. Always send them on their way it is much cheaper to just get another driver at every stop.

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo

Taxis and Buses

by frankcanfly Written Oct 25, 2005

Lima has a large amount of Taxi's. Most are safe, but be sure to arrange the price before you get in.

In heavy traffic, if there is no lane for your taxi, the driver will conveniently create a new one, using new and modern horn techniques.

• SirRichard's Profile Photo

Getting to "La Rosa Nautica" restaurant

by SirRichard Updated Sep 22, 2005

La Rosa Nautica

La Rosa Nautica is a nice seafood restaurant located in Miraflores beach. Looking at a map I thought: well, I take a bus to Miraflores, go walking to the beach and that's all. But no, mistake!
    Miraflores is located ON TOP OF A CLIFF, so from the last houses of the seashore to the beach there is a labyrinth of stairs and passages, so it took me about 15 minutes to get to the beach.
    Do, to return to the civilization I took a taxi (extremely cheap BTW).

My advice: take a taxi to go there, specially at night.

• Wine Tasting

• XKuger's Profile Photo

Taxis are great

by XKuger Written Apr 12, 2005

I found that taxis were every where and very safe. Most of the time I was quoted a fair rates. At times they tried to hussle, I said sorry this is the fare and not once did the taxi driver refuse the fare I quoted.

Please do not uses this to your advantage and squeeze the cabs for their last penny's worth.

We can sometimes affort to pay a quarter more than is a lot for someone in Peru.

Instant Answers: Lima