Taxis, Lima

Know about this? Rate It!

• SirRichard's Profile Photo

Getting to "La Rosa Nautica" restaurant

by SirRichard Updated Sep 22, 2005

La Rosa Nautica

La Rosa Nautica is a nice seafood restaurant located in Miraflores beach. Looking at a map I thought: well, I take a bus to Miraflores, go walking to the beach and that's all. But no, mistake!
    Miraflores is located ON TOP OF A CLIFF, so from the last houses of the seashore to the beach there is a labyrinth of stairs and passages, so it took me about 15 minutes to get to the beach.
    Do, to return to the civilization I took a taxi (extremely cheap BTW).

My advice: take a taxi to go there, specially at night.

• Wine Tasting

• SirRichard's Profile Photo

Taxis from the airport

by SirRichard Updated Apr 4, 2011

There is no municipal public transport from the airport (only the Urbanito private bus service, see tip above).
    So if you wanna take a tax, here are the fares (in 2005):
    - Centre: 7.50 USD
    - Miraflores, Barranco...: 10 USD
    - Others: 14 USD

Ask always first to the driver if he is an official one and tell him to show you his license. Write down the plate number, just in case. I have no personal complaints about taxis in Lima but you can read scary stories about that in the forums...

• risse73's Profile Photo

Convenient Taxi Cab Service

by risse73 Updated Jun 30, 2008

Abel Morante, who was my driver, drove me around and cautioned me about some dangers in Lima as well as ended up taking me to a local polloria en route to the airport, which I requested him to do. We broke bread at the "polloria" and had a fast dinner since I was trying to board a flight an hour after. His business card has this contact info:

Abel Morante
    Phone#: 998225136
    E-mail: abel_morante42@hotmail.com

He provides a professional and courteous service as well as works very hard. I asked him if he takes visitors outside of the city, and he said yes. I guess you can negotiate a pre-fixed price for full day tours. Do give Abel's services a try when you're in Lima. You will not regret it.

• Archeology

• hartti's Profile Photo

Much Taxis

by hartti Updated Mar 23, 2008

Lada or Datsun Taxi, Maybe...

Here people use frequently taxis, because the common transportation is poor, and the cost is cheap. For short routes 3 soles ($1) is usual and from the center to some suburb 7 - 12 soles. Always ask the price before!

• Seniors

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo

Getting Around

by Jim_Eliason Updated Sep 23, 2004

Taxis are cheap enough in Lima that it is not worth the effort to try to navigate the bus system. Taxis do not have meters and you need to negotiate a price before getting in. Other than a little bargaining ahead of time I found all the cab drivers knew how to get places and did not try to gouge more money later.

• RELIABLE transport in Lima, Peru

by JohnTek Updated Apr 4, 2011

I found two websites that have good recommendations regarding getting around in Lima:

A. http://www.hopstudios.com/nep/column/taxis_in_lima_peru.html - It is funny and well written.

B. Better even is the following website: http://www.limalimo.net I discovered that this website belongs to a small but excellent and highly reliable "more-formal" owner/operator taxi company called “LimaLimo”. The website has EXCELLENT information about transport in Peru (see the page http://www.limalimo.net/engPage0002.htm ). After studying the LimaLimo website, I have used the services during two recent business trips to Peru and my colleagues in Peru are now using it again. This is not only a great service for foreign visitors, but Miguel is a very nice, reliable guy too.

Even if you decide to use other taxi services in Lima, at least the LimaLimo website tells them the truth and gives them an excellent overview how the taxi system “works” (and does not work) in Lima. In any event, LimaLimo describes the risks for foreigners very well without broadcasting much panic.

• Luxury Travel
    • Seniors

• Sininen's Profile Photo

Almost nuisance!

by Sininen Updated Jan 9, 2005

There are 'millions' of taxis in Lima! I didn't take any, but I couldn't help seeing and hearing them. Every time they saw a tourist they blew their horn, every time I tried to cross the street several taxis blocked my way! The photo was taken from Plaza San Martin and the hotel in the back was closed because the workers hadn't got their pay. There were placades against President Toledo hanging on it.

• Taxi Cab in Lima, Peru

by mariadelpilar23 Written Sep 23, 2008

Hi, when I was in Lima, all was a mess because lots of people around taking buses and taxis. Well, the thing is that my friends recommended me to take a new taxi cab company and I liked it, its not very expensive like in the US . The company is called www.radiotaxi.com.pe and I order them by MSN.

What I liked most is that I only paid like $10 for 1 taxi cab hour!!! good attention and fast service. highly recommended.

• Robin922's Profile Photo

Sight Seeing by Taxi

by Robin922 Written Mar 16, 2008

If you don’t speak Spanish, it can be done. However, to make it easier and a bit less stressful. Print out a list of the places you think you will want to see using their Spanish names before you leave. If you discover something that wasn’t on your list, have the hotel write it down for you.

Also carry your hotel’s name, address & phone number with you.
    Having a piece of paper and pen with you will help when negotiating prices if you don’t know your numbers in Spanish. Always negotiate your price before getting in the cab. They don’t use meters and each driver has his own rate.

• Cruise
    • Women's Travel

• ThiagoRamos's Profile Photo

Long distances - cheap taxis

by ThiagoRamos Written Feb 6, 2007

Lima is a huge city!!! If you are staying at the old city center, maybe you will be able to go everywhere walking (unless you are planning to visit Miraflores, Barranco or Callao).

But if you are staying at Miraflores, like I´ve done, it is impossible to go to the city center walking. A cab shall cost you around 10 soles, so don´t hesitate and take it. Save your legs to walk in Cusco!!!

• Museum Visits

• flynboxes's Profile Photo

Taxis

by flynboxes Written Mar 10, 2009

Local price from the airport to Miraflores is 20 soles or around 6-7 USD max. The offical scammers at the airport will try and charge you 40-50..even the hostals will mark the fare up to pocket some cash. After arriving from Cuszo I was called an ass in Spanish by the cab manager at the airport after refusing to pay the "offical rate".

The hatchback cabs tend to be the ones that charge the most. Find one of the small 4 door Yugos that are numbered and negotiate a price prior to getting in.
    From Miraflores to the center should be around 10 soles.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Negotiate a price

by grandmaR Updated Jan 23, 2009

Looking down into a taxi

We did not have to take taxis in Callao or Lima because we were on bus tours. Actually we didn't take a taxi anywhere in Peru. But I understand that. like other countries in the Caribbean, Central and South America, you should to negotiate the fare in advance

Taxis in Lima are not a universal color and size. Some are little yellow ones, some are black some are red, some are white and some are red and white.

• Business Travel

• For a reliable cab service book with these people.

by tomy1971 Written Jul 7, 2007

I found a place online and I booked it, turned out to be the best service in town in my opinion, ON TIME everytime and great communication, the driver contacted me here in the us via email and is very fluent in english, and really knows his way around town, had him pick me up form the airport, gave me a tour of the city (all the main areas) and when the sad time came, he took me back to the airport. VERY Relaxing and pleasant trip that was.

If any of you are interested, I found him thru Google, the website is www.TaxiLimaPeru.com and ask for Renato, he's the one I had.

• MovingMere's Profile Photo

abundant and affordable

by MovingMere Written Feb 2, 2007

If you arrive in Lima via plane, be aware that there will be a slew of taxi drivers waiting for you at the door. Had Luis not been with me, I would have actually been a bit nervous because of how aggressive they are. They're also pretty assertive at the bus stations, but the airport was the worst I experienced. Just tell them that you have a ride or car waiting for you and walk away. Once you get out of the parking lot and across the street, things will be calmer and you can find a cab just as quickly and more pleasantly there.

You should have in mind what kind of price you want to pay for a taxi to your destination before you approach the car. Like lots of goods and services, taxi prices in Peru are negotiable. There aren't meters in the cabs because the price is agreed upon before you step foot in the car. Don't be afraid to wave the driver thank you and approach the next car for his price because there are plenty of taxis. Also, when you're getting out of the car, be sure to grab your bag at the same time because the driver might not wait for you to turn around and retrieve it before he drives away.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

Taxi to and from the airport

by MalenaN Written Jun 11, 2012

I had over 10 hours between flights in Lima and therefore took a taxi to see a part of the city, the Historic Centre. For the taxi from the airport to Plaza de Armas (Plaza Mayor) I paid S45 (August 2011). The taxi driver advised me to go back to the airport before rush hour, because then there would be traffic jams.

When it was time to go back to the airport I stopped several taxis on the street, but no one was willing to go all the way to the airport. I asked a police woman and she told me to go to a taxi stand (parada), one and a half block away. The taxi driver had a chart with prices for different zones and to the airport it was S40.

Instant Answers: Lima