Lago Titicaca Favorites

One of the islands
    by SirRichard

Most Recent Favorites in Lago Titicaca

• Glorija's Profile Photo

General info about the lake

by Glorija Written Nov 20, 2005

Favorite thing: On the picture you can see general information that you might be interesting about the lake itself:
    it is on altitude 3809 meters
    it covers 8560 square meters
    and the temperature of the water is round 9 degress.
    So now you know why it is not god for swimming or any similar sport activities.

• Sailing and Boating

• epicult's Profile Photo

Some things to bring

by epicult Updated Jun 26, 2005

Nuestra Familia

Favorite thing: People, people, people.

Fondest memory: I always try to bring a couple things on my trips:

1. Notepads, pencils, and other materials (for libraries, schools, kids in need, etc.)

2. A small polaroid instant camera.

Prior to leaving Taquile, I had our family pose with my brother and Chris for two shots. 1 for me with my regular camera and one for the family with my pocket polaroid. Once finished, I gave the undeveloped picture to the head of the family and with the entire family looking puzzled, he began asking me "Que es esto? " and I kept repeating "espere un minuto, espere un minuto". It was then that I realized, this family had never before seen a polaroid.

Once developed, with the entire family now alight with smiles, he asked me "Senor, uno mas de mi familia, por favor (Mr., one more of my family please)?" I assured him I would take another only this time he would take them all inside to change into their best clothes. This was the cutest thing I'd ever seen in my life. All dressed up and posing with his entire family for a little polaroid shot. He later thanked me over and over again showing me a picture of his family from many years ago and letting me know that this was the last photo taken of his family, prior to the polaroids I had just taken. I emptied the roll before leaving by taking individuals of his kids.

How cool is that?

• Farm Stay

Totora trunks

Totora

Favorite thing: Putting together a few totora plants already dry you can build a kind of trunk that can be used to build houses, boats... it is really hard and lasts about 2-3 years, more if it doesn't get in touch with water...

Movable islands

One of the islands

Favorite thing: Being floating islands, the Uros islands have to be tied to the ground of the lake. Otherwise, they'd move with the water currents. Every certain days, the inhabitants untie them and move them to other locations using rowing boats to pull. This is a task in which all the community participates...

• epicult's Profile Photo

Some things to bring: Part II

by epicult Updated Aug 7, 2003

Mi amiga nueva

Favorite thing: It's a very nice gesture to bring rice and especially citrus fruits for the locals (especially for a family stay) as they are hard to come by for locals and contain many of the nutrients not found in their staple (potato) diet.

Having known now (what I didn't know then) I would have also brought with me some multi-vitamins, skin moisturizer and sunscreen for the kids poor, sun-seared skin.

The sun really burns at this altitude as Illustrated by the young girl pictured here, outside of our family stay home.

They'll love you for it!

Toys

Nice, uh?

Favorite thing: They even make toys out of totora here! I could see this little scenery of huts and boats made of that precious plant.

Entrance fee

The entrance sign

Favorite thing: If you come to the Uros islands on your own, with a private boat you will have to pay an entrance fee of 2 soles (less than 1 USD). If you come in a tour, they probably include the entrance fee.

• Sailing and Boating
    • Beaches

Instant Answers: Lago Titicaca

Comments

Lago Titicaca Favorites

Reviews and photos of Lago Titicaca favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Lago Titicaca sightseeing.

View all Lago Titicaca hotels