Artigas Travel Guide

• Favorites
  • Favorites

Artigas Things to Do

by Chiil Updated Feb 20, 2005

OK, so I´ve never been there during Carnval. But I´ve always managed to go when the the major schools of Samba are having their ensayos (spelling?).

It's basically about 1 month where they practice each night from about 11pm until 12, 1 or 2am, depending on the night.

It's all in preparation for Carnval, and there are many people from Uruguay who come to Artigas for this event (as I'm told). In fact, many Brazilians from the other side of the border come since they do not have their own Carnval anymore (immediately across the border that is).

Here I am with one of the dolls that my cousin Pato danced with. Supposedly he danced so much with the doll during one of the processions that the head fell off. Luckily my aunt was able to stitch it back on.

Artigas Hotels

Artigas Nightlife

by Chiil Written Jan 30, 2005

Tazmania was nicer in my opinion that Zodiaco. I met the owner, and complimented him on his place (considering I've been to man clubs in Chicago).

The atmosphere was fun, light, no dress code and a good mix of women (and guys for you ladies out there).

I had a blast with my cousins that night. They have an open area apart from the dance floor where you can see the sky above with its own bar.

Overall, fun, fun, fun. Be prepared to listen to a lot of Cumbia when you're down there.

Dress Code: None to my knowledge. Went in with Jeans, shoes and a shirt.

by Chiil Written Jan 30, 2005

The Zodiaco is a place where it can be either a dance club or music pub. I guess it all depends on the night, but when I went there, it was a dance club.

It had started pouring outside when we were tossing back some pints (or liters in this case). We had strolled by, and the place really doesn't pick up until about 1:30 or 2am.

Inside, the place had a few benches to sit at, a bar near the entrance and a dance floor in the back.

It had rained so hard outside that water seeped in through either the wall or an exposed area that led to an outdoor patio. Needless to say, the floor was completely covered in water, but this didn't stop people from enjoying themselves.

In fact, I was glad to have worn flip flops with my jeans because it was hot that night.

All in all, a good place to spend a weekend in a town where nothing seems to move faster than molasses on a tree.

Dress Code: No dress code to my knowledge, I was able to get in with a shirt, jeans and flip flops.

• Artigas Hotels

1 Hotels in Artigas

Artigas Favorites

by Chiil Written Jan 30, 2005

Favorite thing: It´s amazing in my viewpoint to see how the milk man still comes around in a horse and carriage to deliver fresh milk every morning.

I remember my first trip here when I was 10, I wouldn´t drink the milk because it had a distinctive taste. My aunt would boil the milk and chill it again before we consumed it (pasteurized I guess). haha...

Instant Answers: Artigas

Comments

Artigas Travel Guide
Map of Artigas