Colonia del Sacramento Favorites

the main entrance
    some houses of Colonia

Most Recent Favorites in Colonia del Sacramento

• b1bob's Profile Photo

Getting there was half the battle

by b1bob Written Feb 9, 2003

I'm the one on the right in more ways than one

Fondest memory: Since Alex suggested the idea of taking a day trip to Uruguay, I was all for the idea. You never hear anything out of Uruguay- like you never hear from Andorra, Liechtenstein, and Luxembourg. I became more in favour of the idea when Alex said he thought he could get a price of under $50 A POP (each). The $36 deal included the ferry ride and lunch at a restaurant in Colonia, but on drinks, we were on our own steam.

27 December came up and I felt like I was dragged through a knot hole- twice. I didn't sleep worth shucks the previous night due to the cold. Summer colds are harder to SHAKE (get rid of) than Amway salesmen, revenuers, and I.R.S. agents. I felt about as much like going to Uruguay that morning as I felt like pushing a peanut all the way there with my (stopped up) nose. However, the tickets were non-refundable and non-transferrable, so I needed to be in hospital to get out of this trip although I thought that might be where I would end up if I pressed on. Before leaving, I had misplaced my watch and I would not have gone without it because it was an important tool to have on a day trip for obvious reasons. It turned up behind on Alex's computer desk.

We went to the harbour to check in early and pass through immigration. An Argentine and a Uruguayan agent sat side by side stamping for passengers ready to board the Eladia Isabel. The ferry was scheduled to leave at 9.15, but was delayed and didn't shove off until 9.48. The 3-hour cruise across the Río de la Plata was crowded. Finding a seat was like trying to find a flea in a grain silo. Alex wanted to catch some sun on the deck. With my cold and without my sun block, I didn't want any part of that, so Alex and I agreed on a place to meet if we didn't see each other before we made port. I met an American guy on board named Hernan who studied in New York. He was the first American I met since passing through customs at Rio de Janeiro more than a week earlier. We made port at 1.00 spot on.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo

walking around at night time

by mvtouring Written May 16, 2006

Favorite thing: We found it to be extremely safe to walk around at night time and never ever felt uneasy.

Fondest memory: The peace and quiet.

• Seniors
    • Singles
    • Women's Travel

Instant Answers: Colonia del Sacramento

Comments

Colonia del Sacramento Favorites

Reviews and photos of Colonia del Sacramento favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Colonia del Sacramento sightseeing.

View all Colonia del Sacramento hotels