Colonia del Sacramento Restaurants

Dining in Old Classic Style
    by DSwede
  • Fish and beer appetizers at Parrillada Santa Rita
    Fish and beer appetizers at Parrillada...
    by DSwede
  • Restaurants
    by easterntrekker

Most Recent Restaurants in Colonia del Sacramento

• xaver's Profile Photo

El Drugstore: a colourful experience

by xaver Written Jul 11, 2013

restaurant

It's full of restaurants all around the centre of the town. We chosed this one as it appeared as the most particular one.
    All the restaurant is very colorful and the staff looks enthusiastic. The menu has many dishes from sandwiches to pasta or pizza. We ate an hamburger with potatos and it was nothing special, but the place was really nice.

Favorite Dish: The coffe was nice actually.

• Beer Tasting

• DSwede's Profile Photo

El Drugstore Restaurant: Dining in an Old Model

by DSwede Written Jan 28, 2012
    Dining in Old Classic Style

There are many restaurants in Colonia. The Drugstore may not have the most unique menu, but it does have both a unique name and a particularly unique dining table option.

If you want, you can dine inside a converted old Model T which is still parked out on the street.

Favorite Dish: The menu has many options. There are sandwiches, steaks, Italian pastas, etc. Honestly they were not to-die-for, but they were all good.

• DSwede's Profile Photo

Parrillada Santa Rita: Nice ambiance and food too

by DSwede Written Jan 28, 2012
    Fish and beer appetizers at Parrillada Santa Rita

There are no shortage of restaurants in Colonia. There are a enough that you can sample just about all types of cuisines. However if your time is limited in the area and you have not had a chance to fill yourself on the local grilled foods, you should add a parrillada restaurant to your itinerary.

The Santa Rita restaurant has a dozen or so tables outside, but if weather is not to your liking, there are also many indoors too. The outdoor tables are much more casual, dining under an umbrella on a wood table. Those inside are more elegant, dressed with red and black linens with wine glasses.

The menu is fairly large and offers a little of everything. The menu does have Spanish and English even if the staff may not speak so much of it.

Favorite Dish: The fresh fish is quite good, as are the steaks. I'd opt for the sirloin instead of the over-fried milanesa (breaded steak).

• Luxury Travel

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo

Drugstore Bar and Restaurant: Live jazz

by easterntrekker Written Dec 6, 2010

We stopped here for a break before heading tothe bus.It'sacoolartsey kind of place near the Basilica.They have live jazz music here in the evenings.We enjoyed the most delicious chocolate cake of all time!!

• Seniors
    • Music

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo

Ave de Flores: Be Prepared for Huge Servings

by easterntrekker Written Dec 5, 2010

We stopped at one of the several outdoor restaurants on this Avenue and decided to order the Specialof the Day. This is an easy "Out" ,when you can't read the menu. Chevitos de pan is a localfavorite .It is a huge sandwich with steak,egg ,hamm,cheese and bacon and ahuge portion of fries. A dieters nightmare but tasty. At a cost of $9.00 it also came with a drink and a dessert!

• Seniors

• Parrilla del Barrio: Thiefs

by VanesaR Written Jun 30, 2010
    bill

Hoy nos cobraron un mate con dos canastas de tostadas, UR$ 590 (equivalente a USD 35). El lugar se llama "Parrilla del Barrio" queda en la calle Real 170, en la parte vieja de Colonia del Sacramento - Uruguay. NO VAYAN NUNCA A ESTA PARRILLA, SON UNOS LADRONES ABUSADORES DE TURISTAS. Ya hicimos la queja correspondiente en defensa al consumidor en la oficina de turismo de Colonia pero no quería dejar de comentarles la mala experiencia que tuvimos en nuestra primera visita a esa hermosa ciudad.

• Study Abroad
    • Work Abroad

• XKuger's Profile Photo

Vegetarian Food - Difficult/ Impossible

by XKuger Updated Feb 8, 2010

I took one of those day packages from Buenos Aires that provides you a round trip Catamaran trip with a city tour and buffet lunch thrown in.

We were dropped of at a nice restaurant for lunch. There was a large buffet spread but very slim picking for the vegatarian palet.

The salad was alright besides that not much else for vegetarians, even the cold buffet section was all fish/meat based not a single vegetarian dish.

I did eat the hard bread and butter, My only choice with the hot food was was pasta with marinara its sad they call it marinara as it was so bland that is was a shame to call it so. It did not even have salt. I tried by best to eat it and failed... I complained and they said they would make me some mac and cheese, fearing that I would be equally bad..

I asked for some mashed potatoes, which was utterly uneatabally bland too. I even had some people who order Stake complain that they had such wonderful meat but did not know how to cook it.

I decided to grab few fruits and step out of the restaurent. I went down the road and got some coffee and sat out til everyone finished lunch.

Over all a bad experience with food.

Favorite Dish: None really

• Gibellini: Great Food Off the Beaten Track

by NVPeg Written Jun 9, 2009

After a day on the tourist circuit in Colonia, we were looking for a quiet, not-touristy place for dinner. Gibellini is on the corner of Ituzaingo and Rivadavia, across from the Posada de la Flor, our hotel. The outdoor seating was inviting, and the food was fresh and delicious. We had salad with mozzerella and pesto, and several pasta dishes but there was also seafood and meat on the menu. The prices were very reasonable (we had wine, too) and I think you would be happy if you had dinner at Gibellini.

Favorite Dish: We had these small ravioli with a wonderfully spiced fresh tomato sauce----piping hot, straight from the kitchen to us. I know this sounds sort of mundane, but this was a memorable dish.

• barryg23's Profile Photo

Candela

by barryg23 Updated Feb 1, 2009

Ruth outside Candela

Candela was our favourite restaurant in Colonia, mainly because the food was good and it was far cheaper than most of the other restaurants in town. We were still in the 1st month of our trip, with more than 11 months ahead of us, so we had to pick the cheaper places.

Candela had an excellent special offer of two pizzas and a litre of beer for 145 pesos, so we ate here two evenings in a row. I can't remember the exact location but I think it was on the main street, Av General Flores.

• barryg23's Profile Photo

Colonia Rock

by barryg23 Updated Feb 1, 2009

Ruth in Colonia Rock

There is a good selection of restaurants in Colonia del Sacramento, though many are overpriced, aimed at the high number of tourists who visit the town. On our first night we ate in Colonia Rock, which is certainly one of the tourist restaurants, with prices to match.

However, they had reasonably good prices for pizzas and Uruguayan specialities like chivito (a delicious beef sandwich). The food was good, the beer was excellent, and we had an enjoyable and relaxing evening here after a day's sightseeing in the town.

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo

Parrilla del Barrio: Retro

by mircaskirca Updated Jun 30, 2008

There are surprisingly nicely designed and good quality restaurants and cafes in Colonia. After wandering a couple of hours up and down the cobbled streets of Barrio Historico it came time for lunch. It was very difficult to choose one as all of them seemed equally interesting - each on its own way.

I finally decided for Parrilla del Barrio, a totally charming cafe restaurant, located on a quiet tiny street, slightly off of the main section of Barrio Historico. The place has some tables outside and an old red car by the entrance (for some reason there are lots of old cars still around in Colonia). Especially interesting was its retro interior with old record covers on the walls and a great collection of old cookers that served as kitchen cupboards and sideboards. I found it lovely!

Favorite Dish: They offer everything from daily menu to traditional parilla (grilled meat), fish, home made pasta and pizza. The place is also famous for its home made ice cream Il Piu. As I was not very hungry, a huge plate of fresh salad, a glass of Uruguayan red wine and a bowl of traditional dulce de leche ice cream did perfectly well. I was very satisfied with the food and with the service as well.

• Wine Tasting

• mcaffa's Profile Photo

Parrilla del Barrio: Looks can be deceiving....

by mcaffa Updated Jun 28, 2008
    Very quiant looking from the outside.

After scoping out virtually all of the restaurants in Colonia, we decided to try Parrilla del Barrio for its quaint charm, seemingly low prices and promising menu. From the street, the little restaurant is a dream - a small stone house covered in ivy and several small wooden tables set up in the street. We walked inside and the scene changed dramatically.

Upon entering, we were encouraged to sit outside (riverside on a 55F day - no thanks). We declined and opted to sit at one of the four (yes, FOUR) tables inside. The inside of the restaurant had a unique charm, so to speak. The walls were covered with LPs from the 1960s (ironically, absolutely no music was playing), an office desk with the owner behind it was set in the corner, and we could see straight into the owner's living room and bedroom - which made us feel as if we were invading someone's home. But we sucked it up and assumed we would be feasting on some great home style cooking.

I order breaded fish and my husband order a chivito (steak sandwich). While we waited, we were brought bread and a small plate of tasty cheese. Things were starting off pretty well. Then I was poured a glass of wine. The wine was apparently a home brew called Il Piu. 'The Pew' was quite a fitting name, indeed. They should really put their energies into their restaurant because the vinegary wine was the worst I had had in literally years.

A few minutes later, our food arrived and the look of shock spread over my face. The waitress plopped down a plate of six fish-shaped frozen nuggets, a leaf of lettuce and a wedge of lemon. Then, she gave my husband a chivito the size of his fist. We kept quiet and ate the sub-par food. A bit later, we saw the waitress bring the so-called grilled pizza to another patron. It was half of a personal-size frozen grocery store pizza. Obviously, the gentleman complained and said he was expecting something homemade, as were we.

Anyways....my husband and I finsihed eating and asked for dessert, which was included with our meal. We were each handed a plastic spoon and a tiny little cup of ice cream- compliments of Il Pui. The ice cream did not meet Uruguayan standards but we ate up, since we were still hungry. Our main objective at this point was to pay and get the heck out of the so-called restaurant.

When we paid with Argentine pesos, we were given a horrible exchange rate (5 instead of 6, which all the other local stores and restaurants were giving us). In addition, we were charged an extra 50 uruguayan pesos per person ('cubiertos', which usually cost 20-30 pesos pp) because we sat inside. We were extremely upset because in the end, we spent more money than we would have at a nice parrillada in the area. When we left, we were livid. We felt cheated, swindled and hungry. Do not make the same mistake we did - AVOID this place like the plague.

Favorite Dish: Between the mini-chivito, the frozen fish nuggets and the frozen pizza, it's hard to say. Perhaps a nice platter of lettuce would be a safe choice. :/

• Architecture

• fachd's Profile Photo

Casagrande (big house): Cofeehouse

by fachd Written May 8, 2008

After walking around in Barrio Historica old Colonia Town we needed some refreshment and rest our feet from the cobblestone. We stop at Casagrande (big house). Looking at the photo I think that was the name of the pleasant and relaxing coffeehouse. To be honest I did not take note the of the premise, we just ordered and enjoyed the atmosphere.

• Luxury Travel

• fachd's Profile Photo

Viejo Tunel: Smorgasbord - mix bag of food

by fachd Written May 8, 2008

We went to Viejo Tunel for smogasbord lunch. The restaurant was nearly full house. Catering for tourist is the name of the game. The food are mix bag, it is a bit of everything. If you are a vegetarian, seafood lover, red or white meat eater or love salad you can eat here. Prawns, fish, cold meat, pasta, chicken, turkey, ham, cut lamb, cakes, ice cream and lots more are on the menu. Beverages and alcohol also available. In general the food was ok.

I can't tell you the cost as it was part of the tour.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo

El Gorreau Restaurante: El Gorreau Restaurante

by mvtouring Written May 14, 2006

Our last evening we decided to go and eat here, purely because everything else was closed. The waitron’s could not speak or understand a word of English. The menu’s were all in Spanish, but we managed to getfood that was absolutely fantastic.

Favorite Dish: Meat done on the BBQ

Instant Answers: Colonia del Sacramento

Comments

Colonia del Sacramento Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Colonia del Sacramento restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Colonia del Sacramento sightseeing.

View all Colonia del Sacramento hotels