Colonia del Sacramento Warnings and Dangers

• Morro (left) before he called it a day...
    Morro (left) before he called it a...
    by ithoughtitwasjustme
  • Warnings and Dangers
    by VolsUT
    Waiting for Mark
    by andal13

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Colonia del Sacramento

• A horse you may not want to ride

by ithoughtitwasjustme Updated Nov 3, 2007
    Morro (left) before he called it a day...

In late Sept 2007 on a Buquebus day tour origninating in Buenos Aires, I traveled by boat (1hr) to Colonia. The tour first included a stop at Arenas Granja Colonia (Ruta No1 Km. 167 Riachuelo Colonia. www.granjacolonia.com), a roadside stop with a restaurant/"museum"(?) and outside picnic area. To the side there was what looked liked an orchard and a small field in which 4 of us were given the opportunity to help ourselves to ride a couple horses. The first horse was fine ("Gato"), though the second, a shorter black/gray horse named "Morro" struck me as easily agitated, not too people friendly when approached. I do not claim to be very experienced around horses, though have ridden several times in my life without incident. I ended up not seeing historic Colonia as I spent the rest of the day & evening in Hospital Colonia with a concussion, dislocated shoulder and broken arm after Morro bolted under a low tree branch, sending me to the ground. Further, the stable assistant, though friendly and well meaning, was lax in seeing that saddle/gear was fitted to each rider, as I was riding w/ stirrups set for the previous rider, a foot shorter than me, adding to my imbalance. Overall a beautiful place with very nice people, though please be careful if you meet Morro (and esp. if you're not an experienced rider). Im sure horses can suffer job burn-out as much as people. Silver lining: Entire hospital bill including morphine, ambulance, xrays and arm reset cost less than a steak dinner.

• Horse Riding

• Watch the Time

by Wade123 Written Jan 26, 2005

Nothing dangerous to report in Colonia. Seemed very laid back and friendly to me.
    This "Warning" may sound a bit stupid, but some of us old tourists aren't always too bright.
    The time in Colonia was one hour ahead of the time in Buenos Aires. This was in November. This detail caused us to miss our bus to Montevideo.
    After that little fiasco, I made a point of checking out a clock in every bus station and airport throughout the balance of our trip.
    Another TIP. Never expect the clocks in those bus station/airports to be correct! The best way to get the correct time was by watching the local news on TV. Quite often the time is somewhere on the screen.

• andal13's Profile Photo

Ask the name!

by andal13 Written Nov 4, 2003

Waiting for Mark

We decided with Mark to meet at the port; he had two options from Buenos Aires: the slower one (Buquebus) or the faster one (Ferrylineas); both ships arrived at the same time, but to different docks. I did not know whick one was taken by Mark, so I did not know where to wait for him... I asked at the check-in desk... but I did not know Mark's surname! (acemj?) So I chose one of the decks and began to wait for him; 500 passengeres landed, but no one looked like Mark's picture... Then, I realized Mark had arribed in the other deck... Finally we met, of course, but be sure you know the whole name of your VT friend!

Decidimos con Mark encontrarnos en el puerto; el tenía dos opciones desde Buenos Aires: la lenta (Buquebus) y la rápida (Ferrylineas); ambos barcos llegaban al mismo tiempo, pero a muelles diferentes. Yo no sabía cuál de los barcos había abordado Maro, así que no sabía dónde esperarlo... Pregunté en el mostrador de embarque... pero no sabía el apellido de Mark! (¿acemj?) Así que elegí uno de los muelles y comencé a esperar; 500 pasajeros desembarcaron, pero ninguno se parecía a la foto de Mark... Entonces asumí que Mark habría desembarcado en el otro muelle... Finalmente nos encontramos, por supuesto, pero asegúrense de conocer el nombre completo de sus amigos virtuales!

Instant Answers: Colonia del Sacramento

Comments

Colonia del Sacramento Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Colonia del Sacramento warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Colonia del Sacramento sightseeing.

View all Colonia del Sacramento hotels