Punta del Este Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Punta del Este

• DSwede's Profile Photo

Stickers on the cars

by DSwede Updated Feb 13, 2013

After seeing so many cars' windows covered with stickers and advertisements, I started asking if people here like decorating their cars. The answer I was told was no, but they were not put on by choice.

When parking in public places, particularly the main shopping streets and beaches, people are employed to walk up and down, placing these advertising stickers on the windows of all cars.

Personally, if it was me, I would be quite angry to come out and have all these plastered my car. The time and effort to clean and remove all the adhesive alone is too much.

If you drive yourself, or if you rent a car, be cautious where you park and look for other cars with similar stickers.

Unsolicited stickers

• montalais's Profile Photo

Completely deserted outside of very specific time

by montalais Written Dec 26, 2009

There is an insufficiency of information regarding when to go to Punta. In my research I found that the high season is 'end of December through most of January'. On this forum, when I asked what is better: December 19 or January 16, I was told the latter. I wasn't told that December 19 would be disastrously bad. Unfortunately, being dependent upon when I would be in Buenos Aires, I went in December. I had assumed that it would be close enough to the highest peak season to still be interesting.

However, it is apparently a tradition in Argentina and Brazil never to go there before Christmas at any cost. The place was absolutely deserted. I stayed in La Barra, which I thought was the nightlife center of the area. Nightlife consisted of 4 people sitting in Novecento, and about a dozen people eating elsewhere. The ocean water was so cold it was hard to keep one's feet in for a minute. The wind was so strong it was cold to stand at the beach clothed, even though it was sunny and 24 degrees. Some beaches (Jose Ignacio, Bikini, Montoya) had zero people, but some had a few sitting around.

• kyoub's Profile Photo

Hungry Mosquitos

by kyoub Written Apr 9, 2008

The mosquito netting hanging near the bed is not just for decoration. There are mosquitos here and they are large and hungry. We found that out the hard way. There was a screen in the door but we noticed the next morning that it had a small hole in it. That is all they needed.

Mosquito net
    • Beaches

• BLNYC's Profile Photo

Do not forget you Sun Screen!

by BLNYC Written Apr 15, 2006

Do not forget to wear sunscreen (30+) during the day. The sun is extremely strong and while the ocean breezes will make the daytime temperatures feel very comfortable, you will find yourself with a nasty sunburn at the end of the day.

• What? You Have Got To Be Kidding!

by Wade123 Updated Feb 3, 2005

Don't know if this is more properly a 'warning' or a 'tourist trap' sort of thing. After being duly impressed with the tall modern buildings, the beautiful houses and the great beaches, I got a more personal look at PDE.
    We stopped at a restaurant on the beach for lunch. The prices on the menu were not listed. The food was great, taken on a terrace overlooking the beach and some old ladies in bikinis. The salad was over $10USD! What!?!?
    26 pesos for less than 1/2 hour on the internet! Gimme a break.
    A shoeshine 'boy' accosts me at a cafe and won't take "NO" for an answer. "What the hell, its only a dollar." After completing the job, the price is now $2! Do I have "Sucker" written on my back or what?
    The price of a beer at that same cafe? Almost twice what it was at restaurants in MVD.
    Did I mention the gypsy women that were grabbing tourists on the street and demanding money? And they don't take "NO" for an answer. You cannot get rid of them. I have never run into such persistent beggers anywhere.

Instant Answers: Punta del Este

• Nov 13, 2014 at 8:00 AM

thinking of getting a cab for a few hours while in port
    has anyone ever done this safely

Punta del Este Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Punta del Este warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Punta del Este sightseeing.

View all Punta del Este hotels