Montevideo Favorites

by iwys

Most Recent Favorites in Montevideo

MONUMENTO LA CARRETA

by draguza Written Nov 30, 2012

Favorite thing: There are many bronze sculptures embellishing parks and squares throughout the city of Montevideo, but none are more impressive than this one called La Carreta (the cart). Located in José Batlle y Ordoñez Park near the centre of the city, it was created in 1919 by Uruguayan artist José Leoncio Belloni (1882-1965) to commemorate the ox carts that were very much part of life in 19th century Uruguay

• Architecture

RAMBLA PROMENADE

by draguza Written Nov 30, 2012

Favorite thing: The Rambla goes all along the Capital City of Uruguay:Montevideo, aproximately from the Port to Carrasco Neighbourhood 20 kms and you can do a Walking Cost Plata River Tour or take a taxi or rent a Car a go along it. People in Uruguay walk, run, make biking, excercises in the beaches all along the Plata River, etc. The most known is Pocitos Rambla because has restaurants and cafes close to the Pocitos Beach and in Summer is very enjoyable swimming and a touch of sun. In front of the Rambla Promenade there are importants and modern Condos, specially in Pocitos and Punta Carretas areas and now started being also in Buceo and Malvin neighbourhoods all in front the beaches. Just come and appreciate it

• Eco-Tourism

PARQUE RODO

THE PARK

Favorite thing: Veritable lung of the city, Rodó Park has everything you need for a weekend in family! A boating lake, a fun fair, many restaurant options and on Sunday mornings a street market full of clothes, crafts, book, etc. You can also visit the little castle, which holds a public children's library.

• Eco-Tourism
    • National/State Park

• When you just have to speak English in Montevideo.

by akken Written Dec 4, 2010

Favorite thing: There are two choices that are always available. Glen R.'s Uruguay Expat lunches every Sunday from noon to satiety at Fellini's Ristobarreto, Benito Blanco and Jose Marti just completed 5 years of uninterrupted meetings in English.
    The other certainty is Feligreta (www dot feligreta dot com), a tea/coffee/art gallery combo on Avenida Brasil at Jose Ellauri. We have bilingual service every day we are open (closed Mondays.)
    Tuesdays and Thursdays are English Days, on which English is the default language. We normally have a mix of folks from the U.S., Canada, the U.K., Australia and,of course, Uruguay.
    So, you won't be alone in Uruguay. Come see us,
    Ken

• Study Abroad

• iwys's Profile Photo

by iwys Updated Aug 20, 2008

Ciudad Vieja

Favorite thing: Ciudad Vieja, south of Plaza Independencia, is the oldest part of Montevideo. Until 1829 it was a walled city. All that remains of the wall is the Gateway of Ciudadela. The main north-south thoroughfare through Ciudad Vieja for visitors is Peatonal Sarandi, which has been a pedestrian walkway since 1992.

Ciudad Vieja is still a bit shabby and run-down. There are some poor neighbourhoods and derelict buildings, but it is undergoing major renovation, and streets in the upper part especially are gradually being taken over by fashionable shops, bars and restaurants.

• Architecture

• Carlitos_NYC's Profile Photo

Coming Home...

by Carlitos_NYC Written Jan 23, 2007

Favorite thing: To answer my own questions in previous posts, I found Montevideo to be very
    safe. My first impressions of my neighborhood were skeptical, but I quickly
    realized this is a safe area. In fact, I felt quite comfortable wherever I went,
    and I walked in almost every area, even in some slum areas. Even late at night I
    walked some streets I was warned to avoid, no problem. I guess there is always a
    potential for crime as in any area, but non was encountered. I stayed at the
    Apart/Hotel Bremen located in the Palermo section of the city close to the
    Barrio Sur area. The owner and staff were very accommodating and knowledgeable.
    They also run a German style restaurant that is very good and has live
    entertainment.

I found a pocket map made by "Eureka". I purchased both the pocket version and
    the fold out version. The pocket version has all the bus routes , which turned
    out to be a quite useful, although you may need a portable electron microscope
    to read some of it, well worth the 99 pesos.

Public phones are okay when using a phone card, but I found it better to just
    use an Antel phone store, there was very little delay when calling home ( U.S. )
    and there were no wasted minutes as with a calling card. The price was exactly
    the same as well.

Overall I found Montevideo to be quite nice. I almost walked the entire City.
    The people were friendly, the food was good and plentiful. Although I may be a
    bit biased, having been born there. The Ciudad Vieja is very cool. I spent most
    of my free nights roaming that area. There are lots of stray dogs walking about, but they
    never bother anybody. In fact I saw a German Shepard cross a busy 4 lane highway
    like an expert, better than most humans.

I?ll definitely be back
    Carlos

Here is photo link http://www.pbase.com/zallakab1/montevideo_uruguay

Fondest memory: My fondest memory of my visit to Montevideo would have to be seeing my Aunt ,Uncles & first cousins for the first time since I was 3 years old. ( I was 45 during my visit. ) Seeing the hospital where I was born, and walking by my parents first house. I should have made this trip 25 years ago!

• Languages

by durvende Written Oct 15, 2006

Favorite thing: If you don't speak spanish don't worry too much. You can speak to most people in italian, portuguese and even french and they will probably understand (see, most of us descend from european immigrants, and also, those languages used to be (and in some cases still are) taught in schools). If you speak italian or french you'll most likely be more successful if you speak to older people. If you speak english you'll probably find someone who understands you as well (in this case, try younger people)
    But still, if you have no luck uruguayans are generally really helpful and you'll manage to get around any way.

• Chilly evenings

by durvende Written Oct 15, 2006

Favorite thing: If there's one thing I've learnt by living in this city it's that no matter how hot it is you should always have a swater with you. This is cause even if it's over 30 °C the temperatures always drop when the evening comes, specially if you are near the sea.

• trek06's Profile Photo

Explore on foot

by trek06 Updated Feb 10, 2006

Produce Store in the old city

Favorite thing: Walking through montevideo, I found a produce store in the old city, which is typical in much of south america. The type of store I wish I had around the corner at home. The second photo is a Canadiense con fritas (Canadian with fries). I never had anything like it at home in Canada but hey it was pretty good, so no complaints. I also tried some food from street vendors, roasted nuts etc.... My stomach had no problems with any of the food here.

• Shakermaker's Profile Photo

Don't go when everyone leaves

by Shakermaker Written Mar 18, 2005

Favorite thing: Avoid "dead" weekends. Some dates are not good to visit Montevideo due to the fact that EVERYBODY leaves the city to go to Punta del Este, La Paloma, Atlantida and other cities on the east of Uruguay. In this dates you will get a partial view of the city, being a small city, when a lot of people leaves this means that a lot of nightclubs may close and that the city will be very calm.
    These dates are: almost all the month of January and part of February (specially on the weekends), semana santa/turismo (around the last week of March- the week before eastern)

• Chiil's Profile Photo

Palacio de Justicia, funny story....

by Chiil Written Jan 29, 2005

Fondest memory: There's a story that goes along with this building. Supposedly it's been under construction for the past 40 years, back before my parents came to Chicago from Uruguay.

There's a story that says a diplomatic dignitary from some middle eastern country came to visit the Plaza, when the building had no windows. 10 years later, he visited Montevideo again and noticed the building was still not complete (because there were no windows). Supposedly, some bankers all contributed to have windows put on the building to give it the illusion that it was complete. However, it still remains in the same state, uncomplete!

• Hexepatty's Profile Photo

Loved the Old Ladies

by Hexepatty Updated Sep 22, 2003

Favorite thing: Old Ladies ABOUND in MVD. I mean at the Symphony I attended, I was one of the VERY few NON-Blue Hairs... and even dining... old ladies seated in tables next to me... Whereever you go, you will see old ladies. It's a good sign. It means old ladies live long here and old men don't!

I mean that in a GOOD way, folks...

Anyway, enjoy this jpg of an old lady Cackle I took outside the Museo...

Fondest memory: Seeing this animated group of all ladies talking about SOMETHING no doubt exciting and scandolus... they got VERY excited, spoke and laughed loudly! It was fun watching them!

Very interesting!

The Old Town

by Bjorgvin Written Sep 12, 2002

Favorite thing: Visit the Old Town (Ciudad Vieja) with its narrow winding streets and 18th century buildings. In the heart of the Old Town are Plaza Constitición and the old town hall (cabildo) and the cathedral, the Stock Exchange and the Customs House all worth visiting. - An archway at the west end of Plaza de la Independencia, a part of the old city wall, marks the entrance to Ciudad Vieja.

Mercado del Puerto

by Bjorgvin Written Sep 12, 2002

Favorite thing: Visit the Mercado del Puerto (Port Market), which is located just outside the port gates. The building was originally built by the British as a railway station but never used as such. The 'Parrillas', traditional stalls that prepare all kinds of meat by a charcoal or wood fire, are popular places to eat. The service is quick, the atmosphere is unique, and the choice is plentiful.

Green city

by Bjorgvin Written Sep 12, 2002

Fondest memory: Montevideo is a 'green' city and proud of it. It also has two lovely parks, the Prado and Parque Rodó. The city's clean white sand beaches are renown, and Monteviedo can therefore be called a resort town like the famous Punta del Este beach resort east of the city.

Instant Answers: Montevideo

Comments

Montevideo Favorites

Reviews and photos of Montevideo favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Montevideo sightseeing.