Montevideo Favorites

Best Rated Favorites in Montevideo

• Hexepatty's Profile Photo

Loved the Old Ladies

by Hexepatty Updated Sep 22, 2003

Favorite thing: Old Ladies ABOUND in MVD. I mean at the Symphony I attended, I was one of the VERY few NON-Blue Hairs... and even dining... old ladies seated in tables next to me... Whereever you go, you will see old ladies. It's a good sign. It means old ladies live long here and old men don't!

I mean that in a GOOD way, folks...

Anyway, enjoy this jpg of an old lady Cackle I took outside the Museo...

Fondest memory: Seeing this animated group of all ladies talking about SOMETHING no doubt exciting and scandolus... they got VERY excited, spoke and laughed loudly! It was fun watching them!

Very interesting!

• trek06's Profile Photo

Explore on foot

by trek06 Updated Feb 10, 2006

Produce Store in the old city

Favorite thing: Walking through montevideo, I found a produce store in the old city, which is typical in much of south america. The type of store I wish I had around the corner at home. The second photo is a Canadiense con fritas (Canadian with fries). I never had anything like it at home in Canada but hey it was pretty good, so no complaints. I also tried some food from street vendors, roasted nuts etc.... My stomach had no problems with any of the food here.

PARQUE RODO

THE PARK

Favorite thing: Veritable lung of the city, Rodó Park has everything you need for a weekend in family! A boating lake, a fun fair, many restaurant options and on Sunday mornings a street market full of clothes, crafts, book, etc. You can also visit the little castle, which holds a public children's library.

• National/State Park
    • Eco-Tourism

RAMBLA PROMENADE

by draguza Written Nov 30, 2012

Favorite thing: The Rambla goes all along the Capital City of Uruguay:Montevideo, aproximately from the Port to Carrasco Neighbourhood 20 kms and you can do a Walking Cost Plata River Tour or take a taxi or rent a Car a go along it. People in Uruguay walk, run, make biking, excercises in the beaches all along the Plata River, etc. The most known is Pocitos Rambla because has restaurants and cafes close to the Pocitos Beach and in Summer is very enjoyable swimming and a touch of sun. In front of the Rambla Promenade there are importants and modern Condos, specially in Pocitos and Punta Carretas areas and now started being also in Buceo and Malvin neighbourhoods all in front the beaches. Just come and appreciate it

• Eco-Tourism

MONUMENTO LA CARRETA

by draguza Written Nov 30, 2012

Favorite thing: There are many bronze sculptures embellishing parks and squares throughout the city of Montevideo, but none are more impressive than this one called La Carreta (the cart). Located in José Batlle y Ordoñez Park near the centre of the city, it was created in 1919 by Uruguayan artist José Leoncio Belloni (1882-1965) to commemorate the ox carts that were very much part of life in 19th century Uruguay

• Architecture

• iwys's Profile Photo

by iwys Updated Aug 20, 2008

Ciudad Vieja

Favorite thing: Ciudad Vieja, south of Plaza Independencia, is the oldest part of Montevideo. Until 1829 it was a walled city. All that remains of the wall is the Gateway of Ciudadela. The main north-south thoroughfare through Ciudad Vieja for visitors is Peatonal Sarandi, which has been a pedestrian walkway since 1992.

Ciudad Vieja is still a bit shabby and run-down. There are some poor neighbourhoods and derelict buildings, but it is undergoing major renovation, and streets in the upper part especially are gradually being taken over by fashionable shops, bars and restaurants.

• Architecture

• Shakermaker's Profile Photo

Don't go when everyone leaves

by Shakermaker Written Mar 18, 2005

Favorite thing: Avoid "dead" weekends. Some dates are not good to visit Montevideo due to the fact that EVERYBODY leaves the city to go to Punta del Este, La Paloma, Atlantida and other cities on the east of Uruguay. In this dates you will get a partial view of the city, being a small city, when a lot of people leaves this means that a lot of nightclubs may close and that the city will be very calm.
    These dates are: almost all the month of January and part of February (specially on the weekends), semana santa/turismo (around the last week of March- the week before eastern)

• Carlitos_NYC's Profile Photo

Coming Home...

by Carlitos_NYC Written Jan 23, 2007

Favorite thing: To answer my own questions in previous posts, I found Montevideo to be very
    safe. My first impressions of my neighborhood were skeptical, but I quickly
    realized this is a safe area. In fact, I felt quite comfortable wherever I went,
    and I walked in almost every area, even in some slum areas. Even late at night I
    walked some streets I was warned to avoid, no problem. I guess there is always a
    potential for crime as in any area, but non was encountered. I stayed at the
    Apart/Hotel Bremen located in the Palermo section of the city close to the
    Barrio Sur area. The owner and staff were very accommodating and knowledgeable.
    They also run a German style restaurant that is very good and has live
    entertainment.

I found a pocket map made by "Eureka". I purchased both the pocket version and
    the fold out version. The pocket version has all the bus routes , which turned
    out to be a quite useful, although you may need a portable electron microscope
    to read some of it, well worth the 99 pesos.

Public phones are okay when using a phone card, but I found it better to just
    use an Antel phone store, there was very little delay when calling home ( U.S. )
    and there were no wasted minutes as with a calling card. The price was exactly
    the same as well.

Overall I found Montevideo to be quite nice. I almost walked the entire City.
    The people were friendly, the food was good and plentiful. Although I may be a
    bit biased, having been born there. The Ciudad Vieja is very cool. I spent most
    of my free nights roaming that area. There are lots of stray dogs walking about, but they
    never bother anybody. In fact I saw a German Shepard cross a busy 4 lane highway
    like an expert, better than most humans.

I?ll definitely be back
    Carlos

Here is photo link http://www.pbase.com/zallakab1/montevideo_uruguay

Fondest memory: My fondest memory of my visit to Montevideo would have to be seeing my Aunt ,Uncles & first cousins for the first time since I was 3 years old. ( I was 45 during my visit. ) Seeing the hospital where I was born, and walking by my parents first house. I should have made this trip 25 years ago!

Green city

by Bjorgvin Written Sep 12, 2002

Fondest memory: Montevideo is a 'green' city and proud of it. It also has two lovely parks, the Prado and Parque Rodó. The city's clean white sand beaches are renown, and Monteviedo can therefore be called a resort town like the famous Punta del Este beach resort east of the city.

Mercado del Puerto

by Bjorgvin Written Sep 12, 2002

Favorite thing: Visit the Mercado del Puerto (Port Market), which is located just outside the port gates. The building was originally built by the British as a railway station but never used as such. The 'Parrillas', traditional stalls that prepare all kinds of meat by a charcoal or wood fire, are popular places to eat. The service is quick, the atmosphere is unique, and the choice is plentiful.

The Old Town

by Bjorgvin Written Sep 12, 2002

Favorite thing: Visit the Old Town (Ciudad Vieja) with its narrow winding streets and 18th century buildings. In the heart of the Old Town are Plaza Constitición and the old town hall (cabildo) and the cathedral, the Stock Exchange and the Customs House all worth visiting. - An archway at the west end of Plaza de la Independencia, a part of the old city wall, marks the entrance to Ciudad Vieja.

• nomadic's General Tip

by nomadic Written Aug 25, 2002

Fondest memory: The fondest memory for me was on the day we left Montevideo for America. Our taxi driver, after finding out we were soccer fans, told us that he used to play for the Miami team in the USA and his uncle used to play for the national soccer team of Uruguay. This is a country of about 3 million people, and in the past 50 years they have won 3 world cup soccer championships! He was so excited about our appreciation for soccer he took a detour and showed us the national soccer stadium. From his 'special connections' we were able to get inside the stadium and have a grand view of the grounds.

• nomadic's General Tip

by nomadic Written Aug 25, 2002

Fondest memory: The people in Montevideo are very friendly. The conference attendees were treated to many local shows by the local organizers (as shown in pictures). Even the Uruguayan president and vice-president came to our conference to deliver their speeches!

• fga's Profile Photo

La Feria de Tristán Narvaja...

by fga Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: La Feria de Tristán Narvaja ofrece en sus puestos discos y verdura fresca, antiguedades y peces de colores, pájaros y libros. En la calle Tristán Narvaja, a lo largo de siete cuadras desde su esquina con la Avenida 18 de Julio, todos los domingos entre las 9 de la mañana y hasta las 3 de la tarde funciona una versión rioplatense del legendario Rastro madrileño

• pjallittle's Profile Photo

get to know the people as soon...

by pjallittle Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: get to know the people as soon as possible. Wherever you go in the world, there is always someone out there who is willing to help, to point you in the right direction, it helps to have an attractive blonde from California alongside, that's probably why they are known as the better half.

Fondest memory: This will sound off the wall, but we were very taken with the trash collection system which is entirely taken care of by a contingent of people who have their territories marked off amongst each other. They go out on a daily basis and pick up the trash from the homes, often from a receptacle that is tied around a tree, off the ground, so animals won't upset them.

When their route is completed, they bring the collection to a large median strip, sort through and salvage whatever they can, at the same time, collecting and sorting glass from tin cans, magazines and cardboard, and whatever is absolutely of no use to them is then taken to the garbage dump on the other side of the median strip.

These folks live directly across from the dump, so they are 'at home' in these surroundings. Thus the collection of garbage is free to the people of Montivideo, recycling and salvage is a specialty of this group who, as I understand it, are not poor but are considered industrious. Is that not a great way to see a city?

Actually, we asked for it. Whenever we visit a city, the person that you engage to take you around expects to take you to the finest areas. We always ask to be taken to the worst. This was his choice, it is always of interest to see both sides of the picture. Palaces, mosques, temples, fancy buildings, they are all interesting and have historical significance, but the real people are the ones' who make a city work, or not.

For all other pertinent information, use the [Link] provided for the information brought to you by:

[CLICK HERE]

PROCEED TO MONTEVIDEO TRAVELOGUE[CLICK HERE]

Instant Answers: Montevideo

Comments

Montevideo Favorites

Reviews and photos of Montevideo favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Montevideo sightseeing.