Isla El Gran Roque Local Customs

Topless and funfull
    by carolinaEspada
    cactus.. with tiny fruits
    by call_me_rhia
    Happy Mariangel with a Polar beer.
    by carolinaEspada

Most Recent Local Customs in Isla El Gran Roque

TOPLESS

by carolinaEspada Updated Feb 13, 2005

Topless and funfull

Venezuelan women dont go topless to the beach. Neither skinny dip... BUT... if you are all by yourself in an island, in a key, you can do what ever you want.

On January 2005 I went to Los Roques. I was surprised to see many italian women topless at the beach. I didn mind. Good for them. Im to shy and too venezuelan to do that.

Some ladies from Perú, that were on the same key where we were, where shocked, infuriated, ashamed, etc. I told them: "But no... it is the greatest thing to skinny dip and swim!"

- Have you ever done that?!!!!!!!!!
    -Oh yes, always...
    -Are you going to do that today?!!!!!!!!!!
    -Of course!
    -Are you getting undressed infront of us?!?!?!??!!!!!!!!!!!!
    -Oh, no, I will do that when Im inside of the water.

So it did it and Mariangel, my sister, took this picture of me. One of the peruvian ladies, a 50something one, gathered all the courage she had, and shortly after went into the water, far away, and skinnydipped. All that we could see from the beach was her big smile.

If you are planning to come top less, please do that among the european turists. Venezuelans and a great deal of southamericans might get shocked.

And, for skinny dipping purposes. Go by yourself or with your friends or family to a lonely key. That or get undressed inside of the water.

• National/State Park
    • Beaches

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

free food, or not?

by call_me_rhia Written Aug 17, 2004

cactus.. with tiny fruits

See the cactus in the picture? You can find it if you walk up one of the mountains in Gran Roque... No, you can't eat it, as far as I know - but it produces tiny little red fruits. At sunset the mountainside was full of local kids picking these fruits. We did not taste them - as we were unsure about how to eat them (raw? cooked?) - since the kids did not eat them on the spot... but next time... we will try them!

• carolinaEspada's Profile Photo

You will be taken care of.

by carolinaEspada Updated Feb 25, 2004

Mother, me and phone call...

The owners of the posadas will provide enough "equipment" for you to spend a day, in the middle of nowhere, in a just-for-your-self key.

The important thing is to be most of the time in the shade.

They will also give you cold drinks and food.

In the picture, with my mother, I was receiving one of those
    "Do you miss me, honey, are you thinking about me?" calls.
    I had to concentrate really hard to come up with the answer:

"Uh... well... I... I guess so..."

BIG LIE: in Los Roques you forget everything and everybody!!! That is the only truth. No matter how in love you are, you cant concentrate in anything besides the sea, the sun, the breeze...

• carolinaEspada's Profile Photo

They will always find a shade for you...

Olga on the shade

When you go to Franciski del medio (middle) the people of the posada will not give you beach umbrellas. There is no need for that. In this key there are shelters for boats, fishermen, nets, etc. You can spend the day in here. You will have plenty to eat and drink, and you will stay out of the sun. And even on the shade you will get a sun tan. This is quite serious, the sun issue... Take care.

SKINY DIPPING!!!

by carolinaEspada Updated Feb 23, 2004

Mariangel, censured.

Your attention please. You can only get undressed completely if you are all by yourself (with your own friends or family) in a key. You dont do this in front of other people. Please dont.

But is great. Once that you are in a lonely key is a wonderfull experience.

In the picture there is my sister Mariangel, naked. Mom was giggling all the time. God mother Ada Luz was shoked.

Whenever I go skiny dipping I take off my bathing suit once that I'm inside on the water. My God Mother loves me. My mom preffers my sister Mariangel.

NEED TO PEE?

by carolinaEspada Written Feb 23, 2004

A little bit of privacy, PLEASE!!!

Well... if you cant wait any longer... go ahead... but remember to take a bag for trash with you. There you can bring back the used toilet paper and, later, throw it in a trash can in your hotel or "posada".

Remember, this is 100% nature. We dont want trash!

In the picture, at the top of the hill, you can see a bit of the old light house. The view from up there is awesome!

Do you like beer?

by carolinaEspada Written Feb 23, 2004

Happy Mariangel with a Polar beer.

Fine. Have one. Have a couple. But remember: dont throw away the can. When they come to pick you up,' in other to return to the main island, El Gran Roque, bring all of your trash with you. Remember: this is paradise and we must keep it that way. This is serious.

• Beer Tasting

A PERFECT PLACE AT ANY AGE

Ada Luz, Olga and Mariangel

Just come. And protect yourself from the sun.
    In the picture, the family: God mother Ada Luz, Mother Olga and sister Mariangel. Kids and husbands were left at home. We had a ball, and we slept, and ate, and relaxed. And they called us every single day. And we didnt want to come back...

Instant Answers: Isla El Gran Roque

Comments

Isla El Gran Roque Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Isla El Gran Roque local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Isla El Gran Roque sightseeing.

View all Isla El Gran Roque hotels