Isla El Gran Roque Off The Beaten Path

4 italians and me in Franciskí de Abajo
    by carolinaEspada

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Isla El Gran Roque

• FlanMan's Profile Photo

A slightly beaten path...

by FlanMan Updated Nov 21, 2005
    Their version of a Seven Eleven

Took off from Caracas airport over to El Roque and spent the day. A catamaran took us to a few beaches and the water was warm and very inviting. Back in town ( a small one at that) we relaxed in town on a couple of bean bag chairs and had some rum drinks until we saw the plane land, the airstrip was about 500 yards from the center of town. A charming destination.

• Diving and Snorkeling

• permiche's Profile Photo

Discover the islands

by permiche Written Mar 30, 2005

Cayo Pirata

The islands are so small! Don't miss the opportunity of walking around them, you'll discover many hidden places and remote and deserted beaches!
    Too many tourists just put their chairs on the sand where they arrive with the boat!

• carolinaEspada's Profile Photo

Do you care for an italian?

by carolinaEspada Written Feb 7, 2005

4 italians and me in Francisk�� de Abajo

Well... let me tell you... there are plenty in Los Roques. I found these four at Franciskí de Abajo... allong with their wives and girlfriends, of course.

I wanted a picture with the men only. The women laughed and took pictures of us as well. I couldent stop shouting: "My AMIGAS (she)-friends are not going to believe this!!!".

My sister Mariangel and I had a great time with these 4 couples of italians. And they had a ball and said that Los Roques was trully paradise. They never imagined that it was going to be so beautiful.

• carolinaEspada's Profile Photo

Ooooops!!! Look what I found!!!

by carolinaEspada Written Feb 7, 2005

Thor from Norway and me in Bajo Fabi��n

A very handsome man form Norway called Thor. Of course, his name couldent be José Gregorio nor Jimmy Bob. THOR!!! What a great name. What a handsome guy... all by himself... alone... in a tiny island... in a little piece of sand called Bajo Fabián.

Within 5 minutes I was talking to him. He was a bit clueless because it was his second day in Los Roques and he didnt have the picture clear yet. (He is working briefly in Venezuela and his secretary arranged a 2 days one night vacation for him). But Thor still didnt undestand Los Roques quite well. He had only seen italian young couples, and a swiss-colombian honeymooners. But all of the sudden he sees my sister and me, so he needs more information about what is the target group, what kind of people go to Los Roques.

ALL KIND OF people. Couples, sisters, families, kids... This is a kid-less season because is school time. So Thor was happy to know that Los Roques is a great and safe place to come with his family and kids. And he assured me he will be bringing them.

Although he said: "Im sure my kids will not eat this food" (fresh fish caught every day). I replied: "Dont worry, when ever I come with my godchildren, we bring sandwich bread, crakers, cheez weez, devil ham, baby food, juices, long lasting milk in boxes and tons of cookies and candies. They can eat that for a week. That wont kill them. And guess what? When they get really hungry, they end up eating fish and... hold on... they love it!"

Thor said I was probably right.
    Im very happy that he decieded to bring his wife and kids.

Handsome, isnt he?

Animal life in Los Roques National Park

by carolinaEspada Updated Oct 25, 2004

1.All of the caribbean sea, tropical, underwater animals you can think off...and many more!!! Marine paradise!!!

2. Reptiles: iguanas and the "guaripete" (or black lizard). And also, other smaller lizards: the "machurite", the "mea-mea" and the "salamandra". Allllllll of them harmless.

3. The only local and singular "mamífero" is the "murciélago pescador", the bat that "fishes". I´ve never seen one. They fish at night. I´m sleep. Besides, why would I like to see a tiny bat fishing and eating a mini-fish?

4. 92 bird species. 50 of them come from North America during "their" winter time.

5. fishermen dogs brought from the mainland. all of them are horrible looking but really nice.

6. I´ve never seen a cat. But someone must have one.

7. mosquitos... plenty.

Come, take pictures, dont feed the animals, dont you dare to kill one of them... but fishing is allowed, and in lobster season
    you can stuff yourself.

In the picture is venezuelan artist Clemencia Labin, who lives in Germany. This photo is from her latest exhibit and is called "Lo prohibido" = "The forbidden". But it looks to me like an octopus I once saw in Los Roques.

• Eco-Tourism

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

Cayo Pirata

by call_me_rhia Written Aug 18, 2004

going to Cayo Pirata

Cayo Pirata is a little island right behind madrisqui... it's so near that you can walk there - there's even a strip of sand between the two islands. The beaches are not that wonderful there, but it's a nice walk anyway and... well, there's a delicious little fishermen's restaurant that serves good food: it's called El Langostino.

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

Madrisqui

by call_me_rhia Written Aug 18, 2004

the beach at madrisqui

Madrisqui is the closest island to Gran Roque: in fact it's only three minutes away by boat. It's an idyllic place: long white soft sandy beaches and green waters that, in the distance, fade into blue. It's a perfect place for swimming surrounded by friendly and curious little white fishes - and perfect for sunbathing - especially because you don't have a choice: there's no trees on the island, so unless you bring a sun umbrella, you're bound to sunbathe.

• carolinaEspada's Profile Photo

Just walk around the town and take pictures

by carolinaEspada Written Feb 23, 2004

Mariangel and a

All of the "posadas" are very pretty and colorfull. In this one they have a "Trinitaria" plant-bush. That is my favorite. It requires little water and has flowers all year long.

Los Roques is a photogenic little town. So... take pictures!

• Singles

IS IT A SHARK?!?!?!

by carolinaEspada Written Feb 23, 2004

Negrura and Mariangel

No... is a great dog. You dont see many of them at Los Roques. This one came in a sail boat and was really happy to play with everyone he met at the beach.

• Singles

Instant Answers: Isla El Gran Roque

Comments

Isla El Gran Roque Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Isla El Gran Roque off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Isla El Gran Roque sightseeing.

View all Isla El Gran Roque hotels