Isla El Gran Roque Warnings and Dangers

• remains of a plane near the local airport
    remains of a plane near the local...
    by perfectly_zen
    Thor in the shade; me in the sun
    by carolinaEspada
    Hellito & Carola
    by carolinaEspada

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Isla El Gran Roque

• perfectly_zen's Profile Photo

Flying to Los Roques is for the brave!

by perfectly_zen Written Aug 19, 2008

remains of a plane near the local airport

I don´t mean to scare anyone by writing this, don´t take me wrong...but I just felt I had to write about the matter!!! Los Roques is a paradise, there aren´t many dangers to be concerned about really...it´s a small town with not more then 1500 people, you can walk at night, most locals are very helpful, simple honest people...
    But to get to the islands, be prepared for lots of distress! Particularly if you don´t fancy flying...There are many companies selling transportation to Los Roques, but the most famous are Aerotuy and Transaven. Aerotuy is known to be the most expensive, but has the biggest aircrafts, with capacity for 30 people each ride. Other smalller companies have airplanes ith the capacity of 8 to 12 people.
    I don´t know....many people in the airport were referring all the companies to be very "responsible" and very safe. But really, it did not look like that at all...not because of the fact that the planes are small, that´s fine, but more because many of the planes are old enough to be considered a heritage by Unesco!
    On the way to los Roques, we got in a plane with the capacity for 8 people....including the pilot. It was so old, that many parts inside were sticked with silver tape!!! How can that be safe, responsible???? It was 40 minutes of flight, and I prayed for 40 minutes non-stop...
    And to prove something is really wrong: in January,2008 a plane from Transaven, dated from 1973, taking 18 passangers completely disappeared 40 miles from Los Roques, and was never found. Eight were known to be italian tourists, five were from venezuela, but many did not have known procedence!!! This means, one client of yours dies in a crash, and you did not register where he lives!!! How can you contact the family, what embassy you contact, if you don´t know who was in your plane! The same company had other incidents before: two emergency landings on water in 2003 and 2005 in this same particular route.
    Please, I do not want to discourage anyone....Los Roques is an obligation. It is certainly in the list of paradises lost on earth, and you should go...the view from the plane is the major life experience! But when choosing the company to buy the flight ticket, make sure this company is really trustable. Make sure it is a well accepted company by locals and other tourists experiences. This is not the time to look for a budget trip!!!

• National/State Park

GETTING KILLED BY MISTAKE IN THE LOST PARADISE

by carolinaEspada Updated Oct 14, 2006
    Magali Rodr��guez, owner of the posada

AWFULL NEWS: SEPT. 2006

An italian couple, on their honey moon, was asaulted in the room of their posada by 3 men. In the middle of the night, they were beaten up with extreme rage. The lady died; her husband, all tied up and with fractures, was found the morning after. No one in the posada heard anything. (?)

Elena and Riccardo arrived to Los Roques to the posada La Lagunita. They were sleeping at the owner's of the posada personal room, because he is in Italy. Local police and special detectives are investigating this murder. The FIRST ONE to occur in Los Roques.

Local residents (honest fishermen, tourist-boat sailors, "posada" owners) are appalled, terrified. There is a big conmotion in the island (and in our whole country as well).

All of our hearts are broken for this couple in the lost paradise. How can we express our condolences to their families in Italy? We are crying.

OCTOBER UPDATE: this unfortunate couple was not the target of the killers. A local resident of Los Roques wrote assuring that tourists in Los Roques are safe and that this was a local "problem". The murder was by confusion and by mistake. A local from Los Roques was meant to be killed. Never a tourist. (Im quoting...)

Since ever, tourists at Los Roques were treated as "our own children", as Magali, a posada owner, said. Now there is EXTRA SECURITY FOR TOURISTS. This had never happened before and residents assure that this will not happen ever again.
    ---
    "Tenemos que hacer todo lo que esté a nuestro alcance por decirle a la comunidad nacional e internacional que repudiamos lo que pasó. Los turistas son para nosotros como unos hijos. Gente que viene de lejos para disfrutar un poquito de este paraiso que tenemos en nuestras manos. Y yo, especialmente haré lo que sea para que esto no se repita, pues no puedo sacar de mi mente el llanto y las palabras de desesperación de ese hombre malogrado, que veía a lo lejos cuando se llevaban el cadáver de su esposa".
    Magali Rodríguez

• National/State Park

• ludogatto's Profile Photo

Only a bank!

by ludogatto Written Mar 6, 2006

there is only aBanesco agency with a money teller, but try to take money from it in the morning cause in the afternoon it will be empty...rememeber that not al the posada have teh credit card machine!

• permiche's Profile Photo

Boats

by permiche Written Mar 29, 2005

Taxi boat

Try to choose boats with enough power (and in apparent good condition) espetially if you are heading towards distant islands. On a 10 minutes trip to Francisqui, one of the two 40 HP engines of our boat broke, and even with almost calm sea it was a SCARY (waves bagan to enter our boat)adventure to reach the island.

• permiche's Profile Photo

The sun

by permiche Written Mar 29, 2005

Sun

This is maybe the only real danger in Los Roques. Bring at least factor 25 protective cream (you can buy it also in Gran Roque, but don't wait until it's too late!!). Don't forget to protect hidden parts (feet, ankles,...) Stay on the beach under the sun umbrella (there is no shadow in the islands!), and in the hottest hours of the day put on a t-shirt!

• carolinaEspada's Profile Photo

The Sun: before and after...

by carolinaEspada Updated Feb 7, 2005

Paolo and me. 2 weeks vrs 2 days...

See the picture? Here is Paolo, a gorgeous italian, in his second week at Los Roques, with sun protection. And there is me, like a marsmallow on my second day at Los Roques. Do you want to get a fabulous sun tan? You have to take it easy, day by day. I never get tanned. Ever. I dont want to. Although, I get a lillte red, like a boiled shimp. The sun isue is an important isue in Los Roques. Never forget.

Oh, do you see some green things over my shoulder? Those are socks. Yes. socks at the beach. Years ago my feet got burned and that ruined my whole vacation at the Virgin Islands. "Never more... never more"...

THE SUN!!! BEWARE!!!

by carolinaEspada Updated Feb 7, 2005

Key: La Pelona de Rabuski at Los Roques

Dont trust the sun at Los Roques. All of the sun block products are never enough. After a couple of hours at the beach, you have to put more and more sun block on your skin. Dont trust the sun. Never! Bring hats, sunglases, long sleeve T-shirts... even socks!!! Dont leave any single spot of your body with out sun block. If you are planning to go skinny dipping, dipp before in a sun block bottle.

In Los Roques there is no hospital, just a little "medicatura"
    (like a tiny and rural and quite limited e.r). Every night there is a tourist there practically dying of insolation. Not every one undestands that this is a serious warning. Those burned tourists are sent back to a hospital in Caracas in the very first flight next morning. (In Los Roques there is no night flights. Everything goes from 6:00 am to 6:00 pm).

This issue is very imporant. Please dont make me tell you:
    "I told you so"...

On your third day at Los Roques

by carolinaEspada Written Feb 7, 2005

Hellito & Carola

You start feeling more confident and acquainted with the sun. But dont push your luck. Everytime you come out of the water apply sun protection # 40. Please do so. Always. Never ever trust the sun.

In the picture, little sister Mariangel at the left; older sister Carola (me) at the right. We printed this picture for mom and she said: "Oh, you two look just exactly like your fathers!!!". Yes, Mariangel has one dad and I have another. The beautiful one in the family is our mother and neither one of us looks like her.

Oh well.

• carolinaEspada's Profile Photo

On your very first day at Los Roques take it easy

by carolinaEspada Written Feb 7, 2005

Thor in the shade; me in the sun

Expose yourself to the sun little by little. Use plenty of sun protection # 40 and apply it every time you come back from swiming. And get under the shade. But dont trust the shade too much. Even there you can get a fabulous sun tan.

In the picture, chatting with Thor from Norway. (Reaaaallllllly far away from his snowy home).

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

a safe airline?

by call_me_rhia Written Aug 17, 2004

transaven office

A safe airline to get to Gran Roque.. a big dilemma. We had got there by aerotaxi from Barcelona/Puerto La Cruz, and had to return to Caracas to catch our flight home - hence we had to book a seat on one of the two airllines... at the airport we had looked at the planes and had decided that Aerotuy had larger and slightly more modern planes than Transaven. Both companies'planes did not look too safe. It turned out that the Aerotuy's agent was not too worried about selling us a ticket... she just said that the plane was once cancelled, once full, once cancelled... but never actually did any effort to try and put us on the plane. We learned later through the posada that the agent is a well-known cow! Anyway we were left with the only option left: Transaven flying a Let 410 (no comment) to Caracas. Even local people we had befriended aloughed at us and crossed themselves when we told them about our airline. Let's say it was eventful...

• ezaguryk's Profile Photo

Take with you Cash - BOLIVARES

by ezaguryk Written Jul 18, 2004

Bolivares

In most of the places in the interior of Venezuela, it is important to take cash, since you do not find many places that accept credit cards.

There is a bank ATM but I will not take the risk, it can have money or not

• ezaguryk's Profile Photo

Use sun block

by ezaguryk Written May 19, 2004

Protect your self from the sun (use a sunblock 15 to 40) or in the afternon hide under the umblela or in a shadow, take it serious, the sun is very strong and without noticing it you can be burned and spent bad time

TO WALK BY THE RUNWAY IS FORBIDDEN

by carolinaEspada Written Feb 23, 2004

Mariangel and the runway

We didnt know... So after the last plane left (at 6:00 p.m.), my sister and I went for a walk. We didnt get very far. Some guards whisled and called us back. Nothing else happened. We just appologized.

The picture was taken right before the guards spotted us.

Instant Answers: Isla El Gran Roque

Comments

Isla El Gran Roque Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Isla El Gran Roque warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Isla El Gran Roque sightseeing.

View all Isla El Gran Roque hotels