Isla La Tortuga Travel Guide

tortuga from the plane
    Isla la Tortuga

Isla La Tortuga Things to Do

by call_me_rhia Updated Jul 25, 2004

There's nothing to see in la Tortuga, except the most exceptional deserted beaches! The water is turquoise near the second barrier reef, between the first and the second is green, and near the shore is basically so transparent and clear that it looks white. Little white fishes swim all around you - and if you look far and away, you will see no one else... a paradise just for yourself.

Isla la Tortuga

Isla La Tortuga Restaurants

by call_me_rhia Written Jul 25, 2004

As there's no restaurant on La Tortuga, your only eating opportunity doesn't have a name. Just talk to the first fisherman you'll see and ask him to cook you some fish. You can pay a small price for it, or trade it with some chicken (see cultural tips).

Favorite Dish: On both occasion we had delicious lobsters and red sea bream: once cooked in a pot, once on charcoal... both times delicious! if you want to have salad or rice with it, you'll have to bring it yoursel... if you share it with the fisherman, you'll make him a very happy person, as he doesn't often have the chance to eat anything else except fish... fish... fish...

our lobsters

Isla La Tortuga Nightlife

by call_me_rhia Written Jul 25, 2004

Sunsets and then... nothing else. There's definitely no entertainment on La Tortuga, which I liked. The highlight of your nightlife is really the sunset... a most amazing sight. From then on... nothing else, except the one you can provide.

Dress Code: Whatever.. or nothing!

the highlight: the sunset

Isla La Tortuga Transportation

by call_me_rhia Written Jul 24, 2004

One of the two ways to get to Isla La Tortuga is by private plane... which I don't own. The other is by yacht, whichI don't own either, on top it takes about 4 hours to get there and costs a fortune. A trusted friend recommended a the aerotaxi of a charming Frenchman based in Puerto La Cruz: Jean-Luc Tersin. He flew us in his wonderful 6-seater Cessna 2006 and treated us to a low-flying tour of the island before landing on the sandy airstrip: an experience I'll never forget. Jean-Luc charges 200$ per flying hour, which is the necessary time to get to la Tortuga and back.

jean-luc's plane on La Tortuga

Isla La Tortuga Local Customs

• what's in a name

La Tortuga... the logical thinking wants you to believe that on this island you can find plenty of turtles, at least during the mating season. How wrong! There's no such animals on this island. The name comes from the fact that the island is shaped like a turtle. The only animals you will see are fishes, blood-thirsty puri-puris and simba - one of...

• a fair trade... or not?

Trade a chicken for a lobster! Sounds ijmpossible but it is! The handful of fishermen on La Tortuga during the lobster season live on a strict diet of fish, and they're more than happy to trade a lobster for a chicken if they have the chance. So bring a couple of frozen chickens with you - and leave it up to them: they'll treat you to the most...

• Isla La Tortuga Hotels

0 Hotels in Isla La Tortuga

Isla La Tortuga Warnings and Dangers

by call_me_rhia Written Jul 24, 2004

What's a puri puri? A really tiny insignificant midge which bites... so small that when it bites you you think that such a creature can't harm you! How false! Right after you're bitten you don't feel anything but... the puri puri is vicious: wait 24 hours and its bite will drive you mad for the following 72... you simply won't be able to stop scratching courself, and you'll soon be covered by red dots as if you had some disease. ot dangerous at all

puri puri

Isla La Tortuga What to Pack

by call_me_rhia Written Jul 24, 2004

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: long trousers and a light long-slieved blouse to prtect yourself from puri-puri's if you stay overnight (see warning tip)

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: toilet paper is quite important. bring also the medicines you may need.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: swimsuit and towel are essential. And sunblock: lots of it.

Miscellaneous: bring plenty of water - more than you'll think you'll need: there's no fresh water on the island.

water bottles

Isla La Tortuga Sports & Outdoors

by call_me_rhia Written Jul 25, 2004

Relax and swim... swim and relax... that's all you can do on La Tortuga. Maybe eat something in between but that's it!

Equipment: Bathing suit (optional, I would say, as there's really no people except a fisherman or two) and a towel. Fin and a mask are a good bet, too, so that you can snorkel around and enjoy the colourful fishes.

swimming at La Tortuga

Isla La Tortuga Favorites

by call_me_rhia Written Jul 24, 2004

Favorite thing: Isla La Tortuga is a deserted heaven halfway between Isla Margarita and Puerto La Cruz. It's 1big island (the second biggest in Venezuela) and 3 smaller ones of real paradise. The islands are uninhabited, with the exception of a handful of fishermen during the lobster season. It's a perfect hideout, but apparently I have not been the first person to think so: in the 17th century pirates used it as a cove, and later on, at the time of Simon Bolivar's revolution, rich Spanish families used the island to hid their treasures.

Fondest memory: The clear transparent waters... from turquoise to light green to white. And then it's perfect quiet and the fact that it's truly unspoilt. Beaches are white and as clean as they could be. There's no transportation there: you either need to rent a yacht or a private plane to get there - and once there you need to be completely self-sufficient. Twice I went there, and twice I had the beaches to myself only.

tortuga from the plane

Instant Answers: Isla La Tortuga

Comments

Isla La Tortuga Travel Guide
Map of Isla La Tortuga