Local traditions and culture in Caracas

Thick green area, you have to go there!
    by RafaelTheSecond
  • "Sleeping girl" by Domenico Feti
    by carolinaEspada
  • Local Customs
    by Saringuis

Most Viewed Local Customs in Caracas

Venezuelan dish

by Saringuis Written Feb 7, 2006

One of the traditional Venezulean dishes is "Pabellon". It coonsists of black beans, fried platanos (sort of banana), rice and teared up beef cooked in a saus, with some cilantro bringing a certain freshness. To West-Euopeans it might look absolutely gross, but trust me, you do not want to miss out on this marvel!!!

Heavy breakfast

by Saringuis Written Feb 9, 2006

A lot of Venezuelans start the day with a strong meal. When you're used to having a small bowl of cereal or just a cup of coffee in the morning, this can be quite the challenge! A typical breakfast can be empanadas or arepa, with filling ofcourse. One of the fillings I tried is very tasty (I forgot the name though) it's similar to scrambeled eggs only.. different!

Arepa with cheese and eggs

Polar Ice

by Saringuis Written Feb 9, 2006

In Venezuela you will see advertismens for "POLAR" beer, everywhere. Now I'm not usually too much of a beer fan, but polar ice is the perfect beer for this kind of person. It's very light and fresh. The other versions of polar are good too, except "polar light", unless you like bitter bubbly water...

just can't get enough of it...

Venezuelan men... wow!!!

by carolinaEspada Updated Oct 4, 2004

They come in many varieties, shapes, every color, every size, most of them have an extraordinary sense of humor, most of them are awesome dancers, most of them are extremely sweet and great huggers...

I couldent live with out them.

In the picture, from left to right: Nicolás Bracho, Lucky-Me in red hawaian shirt (*), Fernando Valera, Alejandro Dembo and Pedro José Acosta.

All of us, loving friends since kindergarten.

(*) Thank you Frank Burke for this hawaian shirt. I love you!!!

Venezuelan men... wow... and there is Lucky-Me
    • Luxury Travel
    • Women's Travel

• travelife's Profile Photo

Venezuelan folks

by travelife Written May 18, 2005

Like other Latin American countries, Venezuelans are also very warm and friendly but its difficult to talk to them if you dont speak Spanish. The taxi I was arranged by the hotel, there was this Venezuelan who drove and spoke very good English where we discussed many issues of Venezuela. Woked formerly as a tourist guide, he is a proud Venezuelan.

• carolinaEspada's Profile Photo

"When you wish upon a...car"...

by carolinaEspada Written Feb 29, 2004

Make sure is a red one. But in order to make a wish you need to see a black dog. A red car and a black dog, and then make a wish. It will come true!

I dont know if this is a tradition in Caracas or just in my generation. But many of my friends (and myself) cant see a red car without looking around for a black dog inmediately.

"When you wish upon a "car", makes no difference who you are
    Anything your heart desires will come to you"...

But you have to spot a black dog at the same time... Is not as simple as wishing upon stars...

Carro rojo & perro negro

• travelife's Profile Photo

Caracas or Caraca

by travelife Updated May 18, 2005

It may seem they say Caraca instead of Caracas. But VTer Kelly disagrees. She say it is indeed Caracas but with a very short and soft 's'. This is just a bit of change in the 'Spainsh' used in Latin America.

web-pic

• RafaelTheSecond's Profile Photo

A GREEN SHELTER CLOSE TO CARACAS DOWNTOWN

by RafaelTheSecond Written Apr 29, 2008

Los Caobos is a very interesting green area close to the city centre of Caracas. I like to walk in the mornings (this is the safes ttime to enjoy the park...do not go there in the end of the afternoon..very dangerous), lots of trees and with native species of Venezuela. it is also a great space for you to see exotic birds and many different kind of parrots. Nice people like walking in the boulevards for a pleasant walk and being with the Nature.

It is the entrance of two very nice museums..the BIODIVERSTY MUSEUM and the FINE ARTS MUSEUM!!!

Beautiful place and close to many landmarks of Caracas, the famous theater Tereza Careño, and the Mesquita and the nice and central neighborhood of Candelaria!

the subway station nearby is Bellas Artes.

APRIL 15TH 2008

Thick green area, you have to go there!

• Meztli81's Profile Photo

All about the Benjamins

by Meztli81 Updated Dec 29, 2006

Before I left, I had heard people say take American dollars, because the black market will exchange them at a much better rate than the official at the airport, but I decided against it, being scared that being robbed might leave me short of alot of money if I carried it on me and imagining the "black market" to be shady individuals on dark street corners. I ended up just taking atm cards but I ended up regretting it. Everybody, and I mean everybody, from hotel clerks to taxi drivers to soda vendors are willing to trade you dollars for more bolivares then I got out of the atm (not to mention the fees I was charged). My friend who took 500 American and traded it through black market kept joking on how much less she was spending than me with our different exchanges. I admit - it is a risk if you're stolen from, so you'll have to weigh that, but considering my experience I'd do it the next time I'm there. Also, careful you don't get too many bolivares you're not going to use because it's hard to trade them back for dollars.

NEW CURRENCY IN 2008!!!

by carolinaEspada Written Jan 10, 2008

Your attention please... (and if you dont know math, take a BIG breath):

Since January 1rst, 2008, we are moving gradually from (old) Bolívares -bills and coins- to Bolívares Fuertes - new bills and new coins-. The "problem" is that we are using both -old and new- at the same time... That has turned out to be very confusing for almost everybody. You can pay in old money, in new money, AND EVEN MIXING OLD AND NEW!!! You can get your change back in one or the other OR BOTH!!! Be carefull, pay attention, print the equivalence chart and carry it in your wallet. The "Banco Central de Venezuela" informs that we will "working" with the two kinds of bolívares from 3 up to 6 months, and even more time if we need to in order to eliminate for ever the old bolívares. Once eliminated the old ones, we will not call anymore the new currency: Bolívares Fuertes, we will call it "Bolívares" again.

There is another problem... and there have been serious complains from our blind citizens: the Braille marks are not strong, bumpy enough for them to tell the difference in between the new 6 different kinds of bills: 2, 5, 10, 20, 50 and a 100 Bolívares Fuertes. Fortunatelly, the new coins are easy to identify by touching them... but very hard to see if you are old or need glasses.

This is going to take time; patience and time.

Bol��var (old) and Bol��var Fuerte (new) 1 Bol��var Fuerte = 1000 (old) Bol��vares
    • Seniors
    • Disabilities

Mourning

by carolinaEspada Written Mar 27, 2005

When you are in a grief situation, because somebody died, the proper thing to do, when you go to the funeral and cementery is to dress in black, black and white, white or gray.

Long time ago, people (specially close relatives to the one who passed away) weared absolutely black during a whole year long (strong european tradition: Spain and Italy). That is now very unfrecuent and very rare.

I've worn "mourning" colours 4 times in my life (but no longer than a month, each time). Is sort of... a tradition... In my case is not to tell people "Oh, look how sad I am!". No. I carry on with my life. I have no logical explanation for this. Is a tradition. But we are losing it very fast.

Mourning morning with some of my friends
    • Religious Travel

THE VENEZUELAN FLAG

by carolinaEspada Updated Jul 20, 2006

It might look like some other Latinamerican flags that have the same colours due to historical reasons. But OUR flag is:
    yellow, blue and red; and is the only one to have 7 white stars, displayed in rainbow shape.

Remember yellow, blue and red... AND THE 7 STARS...
    THAT IS VENEZUELA!!!

2006 UPDATE
    "The República Bolivariana of Venezuela" -renamed by the former president 8 years ago-,
    has now an addtional star on the flag. Now: 8 stars, and not everybody is happy with this
    this.

Venezuelan flag

NATIONAL COAT OF ARMS OF VENEZUELA

by carolinaEspada Written Oct 9, 2004

In Spanish is simply called "escudo", which means "shield".
    El Escudo Nacional. But I checked my dictionary and it said: heraldry, an escutcheon, coat of arms. My friend M.C.Valecillos from Tsukuba, Japan, assured me that the correct way to say it is: "National Coat of Arms of Venezuela".

So, there...

Thank you once again, M.C.

National Coat of Arms of Venezuela

Venezuela's National Anthem

by carolinaEspada Written Oct 9, 2004

Is called: ¡Gloria al bravo pueblo! (Glory to the brave people!).

Lyrics by Vicente Salias; music by Juan José Landaeta.
    President Antonio Guzmán Blanco declared it our oficial national anthem on May, 25th, 1881.

Whenever you hear it, you are supposed to stand up, sing with respect and period. Yes. Period. No clapping at the end, no whisteling, no yelling "hurray"!!! No. The end and absolute and respectful silence.

But... that is the way it was... young people nowdays, clap, whistle, root and chear... I guess I will have to get used to it.

Here it is:

levanta la voz,
    seguid el ejemplo
    que Caracas dio.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    listen to the music on the www below.

Clave de Sol

GREAT HUGGERS!!!

by carolinaEspada Written Nov 11, 2004

Yes, we venezuelan are great huggers. We are not shy about kissing and hugging (friends we have had of ever, or even people that we have recently met).

Now, men embrase each other, but a man will not kiss another man. We dont do that here. (They do that in Russia).

On the contrary, a woman can hug and kiss another woman, but should never kiss her on the lips. (They do that in Rumania).

Men kissing men, and women kissing other woman on the lips is not a Venezuelan tradition.

Venezuelan men and women hug and kiss each other if they are plain regular friends, pals, classmates, work partners, whatever. You never kiss anyone on the lips. You have to be in love for that...or, at least, have sexual intentions.

But I love this super hugging and kissing all the time.

Super hugging

Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 5 Reviews
Hotel Caracas Cumberland
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Instant Answers: Caracas

Comments

Caracas Local Customs

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Caracas locals.
Map of Caracas