Caracas Restaurants

• lelyramires's Profile Photo

Limoncello: Delicious Pasta

by lelyramires Written Jun 4, 2005

Dinner at Limoncello

The El Rosal distric is a nice location and the restaurant environment was very pleasant!
    You can choose to sit on the balcony - which has a nice view - or inside.

The food was delicious, the service was great, everyone was ready to help you with a big smile.

It is just a great place!

Favorite Dish: I can't remember the name of the penne I ate, but it had shrimps chicken and some kind of sausage in the sauce.
    It was devine.

• lelyramires's Profile Photo

Limoncello: Delicious Pasta

by lelyramires Written Jun 4, 2005

You can choose to sit on the balcony - which has a nice view - or inside.

It is just a great place!

It was devine.

• travelife's Profile Photo

Food at the restauarent

by travelife Updated May 19, 2005

spicy beef-slices with corn-bread

Well this is really mouth-watering. Slices of beef separated and then cooked with tomato and chilli and other spice. Taste like Indian food a little but I moved a step forward enjoying the spicy chilli-pepper sauce what not even Venezuelans dare to eat! I was so excited that I forgot to show enough of table manner that is, eating and eating forgetting everyone’s around! For two of us it cost only 35000 Bolivares (15 USD). Yes, it also includes dessert and drink.

• travelife's Profile Photo

Corn Bread & Cheese

by travelife Written May 18, 2005

corn-bread

This is the turn to introduce some Venezuelan delicacy. The picture shows the corn-flouer bread (a bit unusual to me but tastes good) which you can eat with cheese / butter / spicy avocado sauce. Kelly asked me not to share with other VT’ers that she is not good at making this bread though she is a certified Venezuelan chef!

At her house (I live with her...): Only if my 83 years old mom lets me cook

by carolinaEspada Written Jan 2, 2005
    Mom, in her kitchen looking just like the calendar

On 2004 my mom let me cook just one. Her kitchen is her territory. On Dec.31st I created this recepy and called it "Pavo Sorpresa" (Surprise Turkey... because I had no clue that it was going to taste SO good).

Here is the recepy:

2 thin and long turkey fillets
    one big onion
    one apricot (melocotón) baby food Gerber or Heinz (but not like the ones in the US which are more natural, less sweet and taste awfull. Venezuelan ones have more sugar in them)
    butter
    salt
    6 nuts
    In a big pan put some butter (we use butter with salt, not the salt less one). I use little butter. You can put as you wish.
    Cook with very very very low fire the white onion cutted into tiny squares or circles, as you preffer.
    when the onion is ready, place the filets in the pan (never cover it). About 3 or 4 minutes on each side. They are thin. If you like salt, add salt. If not, no.
    When they are done, sprinkle the six nuts choped.
    CALL YOUR MOM DESPERATELY. She will arrive in 4 more minutes.
    You serve the fillets, cover them with the onions and nuts. And then there is a salad of "palmito" (heart of palm trees, tomatos, and petit pois).
    For dessert: dried figs and dates.
    A little coffee.
    She liked it SO much that she asked me to repeat it on Jan 1rst, 2005 but since Ive never been able to repeat exactly a recepy, today Im doing "variaciones sobre el tema"... variations on the same thing...theme.

Favorite Dish: VARIACIONES SOBRE EL TEMA

2 thin turkey filets
    one onion
    one green apple cutted into tiny pieces with the green out side (peel?) included
    one apple baby food (a venezuelan one that has more sugar)
    butter
    salt
    pepper
    6 nuts 3 hazelnuts
    same procedure, but the apple has to be cooked allong with the onion.
    I forgot to mention... for those who like alcohol, maybe you can add a little bit of Jerez (sherry?)... but then, I dont know...
    This would taste great with mashed potatoes or rice.
    But we dont eat that.
    We preffer salad and vegetables.
    Let me know if you tried it and tell me if you even did more variations on the theme. I love variations. I hate cooking rules... and some other rules as well.

• Women's Travel

• carolinaEspada's Profile Photo

In local food restaurants during Xmas time: WHAT IS AN HALLACA?

by carolinaEspada Updated Dec 29, 2004

Dear friend Ram��n and I holding two hallacas

The HALLACA (also spelled HAYACA) is our xmas traditional plater. In a banana leaf there is placed a certain amount of corn flour -thin pancake shaped-, in the middle there are gathered all sort of things: cooked meat & pork with tomatos, peppers, onions, etc. And then, as "decorations": some chicken, olives, cappers, rasins, prunes, almonds, etc...

(You can also get vegetarian hallacas, but they dont taste the way it should. The real hallaca has beef-meat, pork and chicken... all together...)

That "thing" is folded into a rectangular shape; tied with "pabilo" (a string); and boiled for an hour.

It is presented, served, with part of the banana leaf on the bottom. Dont eat the banana leaf, it is not the "salad".

The hallaca is a mixture of flavors: salty, sweet, sour, etc.etc.etc... you dont have to be venezuelan to love it, but it requires that you develop the taste for it. it is very "different".

There is an expresion in Venezuela: "Las mejores hallacas son las que hace mi mama" = "The best hallacas are those that my mom makes".

In my case this doesnt applies: my mom doesnt cooks hallacas. It takes a lot of time to prepare them, and this is something that a family, a big family, does together in the begining of Xmas. 200 hallacas or more are prepared on one day, then placed at the refrigerator, and eaten during Xmas. Specially on the 24th and the 31st.

Favorite Dish: Is a Xmas venezuelan tradition. Xmas is not the same with out an hallaca. But you must eat it HOT.

Great with red wine (for those who like wine). I dont.

• carolinaEspada's Profile Photo

ABIERTO: "Una papa bien resuelta" (lost in translation...)

by carolinaEspada Written Dec 20, 2004

How can I translate "una papa bien resuelta"?... We use that expresion, in Venezuela, when we want to say that we were given, that we ate, plenty of good, balanced, even a little bit greasy, full of flavor, home style, non glamorous food, nutritional and delish. GOOD.

On December 20th, 2004 I discovered this little restaurant. His owner is called by everybody by his nickname: "Cuñao" ("cuñao" = "cuñado" = brother in law), and many believe that this place is called: "El Cuñao". Wrong. The real name, which nobody knows, because nobody sees, is writen in a small piece of paper, framed and hung in one of the walls: "Cecile". Nobody knew until I asked.

The only thing that you can see, in the door of the green iron fence that surroundes the small restaurant, is a sygn (twisted) that says: "ABIERTO" ("OPEN"). That is it.

Inside they have diferent sizes and shapes tables and chairs. Nothing matches with anything else. And nobody cares. The fence, and part of the roof are covered with grape plants... and is so nice to eat bellow a bunch of grapes (even if they are green...).

When it gets crowed (always) you have to share the table. I had a great lunch with 3 guys from the bank (Víctor, Juan and Pedro, nice to meet you, great conversation, bon appetit) and two ladies: one, an 80 years old dermathologist, and the other, a surgeron.

In the table next to ours, were 4 fat policemen. Next to them a little old man. In front, a bunch of "motorizados" (delivery men that work and deliver in their "motos" = motorcicles). In another table, a lot of taxi drivers, because there is a taxi line in front of the restaurant. And... some women that looked as if they had been working all night long.

GREAT AMBIANCE!!! I LOVED IT!!!

Favorite Dish: They have a solid and rich menu. The whole package costs 5500 bolívares (1 US $ = 1950 bolívares), but this only includes the food. You have to pay extra for the drinks: sodas, mineral water, fresh fruit juices, chocolate shake, etc.

They bring you fresh bread (no butter).
    Then you get to choose from:

First selection:
    1: meat (different sorts and flavors), chicken (different as well), fish (fried or grilled) or pork.

Second selection:
    2: white rice, baked potatoes, fried potatoes, fried "plátano" (big banana, delish)

Third selection:
    3. salad, or carrot and something else salad, or boiled vegetables (green beans, zuccini, carrots, etc).

(You choose and they bring you all at the same time).

I had: grilled merluza fillet (fish), fried plátanos (which I adore) and boiled vegetables. Very light. Very fat free. Very much getting prepared for Xmas...

No dessert. It is too much food.
    Little coffee.
    Always a little coffee at the end.

• reobasco's Profile Photo

El Granjero del Este: For great "arepas"! Open 24 hours

by reobasco Updated Nov 27, 2004

More coming soon...

I asked my friends to take me to a popular and cheap local place where they served local food. Well, this place is open 24 hours a day, and it has the greatest variety of arepas in Caracas.

The decoration is fantastic, the music... not too bad :) And, I could pay the bill for the four of us!!

Favorite Dish: I had a tuna fish arepa - great! I tried some other thing from my Italian friend... but, oh, goodness, I don't know what it was; I'll have to ask.

Some days later...
    Yadira, my friend, says what I tried was a cachapa, a soft sort of omellete made with corn flour.

• Adventure Travel
    • Theater Travel
    • Music

• reobasco's Profile Photo

Il Caminetto: Great Italian Restaurant

by reobasco Updated Nov 27, 2004

That's service!

Five waiters wating on us... does that tell you enough? I was happy because I had seen my best friend and mentor - that's where I took my new picture from (see my album). But these guys made me feel like a queen!

Favorite Dish: Well, I only dined once, but it was wonderful: Pez Espada with a "personalized" side dish. Excellent Chilean wine.

Why good? I must be so dumb... because it tasted like heaven!

(And because my friend is Italian and chooses this restaurant).

• Adventure Travel
    • Theater Travel
    • Music

• ezaguryk's Profile Photo

CAPRI: Best Italian Food

by ezaguryk Updated Nov 6, 2004

This is one of my favorite Italian restaurants, it is small but the attention it is excellent the food home style is like eating in Italy. The Nona (Grandmother Italian) is the cooker the uncle is in the cashier, the husband is the waiter as you will see it is a very family restaurant.

Only work for lunch from 12:30 pm to 5:00pm
    at night only with reservation

What ever you ask you will be wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Dish: Torteloni de Salmon
    Pasticho (lasana)
    Tortelone de tomate seco
    Tallarines Salteados
    Papardele di fingi

• Business Travel

• carolinaEspada's Profile Photo

"La Montanara": Pizzas, italian food and mind-loosing desserts!!!

by carolinaEspada Updated Oct 2, 2004

Nicol��s & Carolina: pizza Vivaldi and salad.

People go there your their excelents pizzas, and the variety of them. But they have other types of italian food... and the desserts... OHHHHHH THE DESSERTS!!!

I didnt have pizza. I dont like pizza, sorry. I just had a tiny salad with "endivias" (kind of a tiny sour lettuce, apples, goat cheese, and mustard and honey dressing, delish).

Nicolás, my friend from kindegarten and grammar school, had a Vivaldi pizza: a four seasons one. Each quarter, one different flavor. My other friends, Alejandro, Fernando and Pedro José had other pizzas. They all agreed they were great. (But they dont look as pretty as the ones from Das Pastelhauss).

The place is always packed. You must come, very early or very late, sit down at the bar, drink something or not, and wait until your table is ready. Half an hour, 45 minutes...

There is an smokers section and valet parking too.

Favorite Dish: OH MY GOD!!!
    THE DESSERTS!!!
    YOU WOULDENT BELIEVE THAT!!!
    My friend Nosrat, who is a princess from the Qdjar dinasty (the one lasted 3 centuries and came before the Pahlavi dinasty), had "panna cotta cup with chocolate cream". That would be like a cooked white cream. Nicolás had "Tiramisú", which is made with many ingredients, flour, coffee and marcarpone cheese (which is hard to find in Venezuela), and Pedro José, Alejandro, Fernando and I had oreo cake with nutella cream and other chocolate cream. That was the maximum pleasure. You loose sense of who you are where you are.

Ahhhhhh chocolate!!!

• Business Travel

La Holandesa: Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaangoooooooooooo!!!!!!!

by carolinaEspada Written Sep 19, 2004

Maaaaaaangoooooooo!!!

Do you like fresh, 100% pure, natural juices???!!!
    Then you must comme to "La Holandesa"... I believe they have them all. And they sell 4 different sizes: small, medium and large... and then a tuppewarish thing to take home.
    You can get there almost any tropical fruit juice: guanábana, guayaba (guava), mamón or quenepa, tangerine, etc.etc.etc.
    My very favourite is MANGO juice... it always reminds me of how good is to be alive!!!

Favorite Dish: Jugo de mango. Mango juice. But, besides the juices, they also sell fruits, and candies, and icecreams. I go there just for the juice.

THIS TIP IS DEDICATED TO BIGBENBA, vt friend and FruitLover.

• ezaguryk's Profile Photo

La casa del Llano: Typical Venezuelan Food - My Favorite

by ezaguryk Written Aug 1, 2004

This is an arepa place that opened 24 hours; also you will find typical Venezuelan Food Arepas, cachapas, venezuelan cheese (telita, guayanes)etc???? always it is full but you always find a table.

It is like going to eat in the interior of the country but in the city the same taste

You do get economic prices and fast service.

Favorite Dish: Arepa of telita cheese
    Arepa de pernil con aguacate (pork with abocato)
    Cachapa con queso de mano (corn pancake with white cheese)

• carolinaEspada's Profile Photo

There are not ALL-YOU-CAN-EAT places in Caracas: Forgett about All-You-Can-Eat restaurants...

by carolinaEspada Written Jul 16, 2004

FOOD HERE I COME!!!

I dont think we have one of those places. Not only in Caracas, the capital, but in Venezuela, the country.

If I´m wrong I wish that someone will correct me. But I havent heard about one of those places in my entire life.

But we certanly dont have the all-you-can-eat tradition.

If you are planning to invest in Venezuela, that is something to think about. A restaurant -with no competition at all- where people go to stuff themselves. Now... would venezuelans like that? I certanly dont.

Maybe if it was an all the ice cream you can eat... that I would love!

• Jacana's Profile Photo

Capri: The absolut best italian food!

by Jacana Written May 29, 2004

I'm usually disapointed when I go to an italian restaurant, because my mom is italian and she makes delicius pasta, sauce, ravioli, etc. However, the first time (and everytime since) I went to this restaurant I came out completely happy and still savoring the food.
    The restaurant is family-owned and it has 12 tables or so. I think they work only during the weekends and at lunch time, but I'm not sure.

Favorite Dish: They have the regular menu and also some specials that vary all the time. Everything is delicious!
    My favorites:
    Carpaccio
    Dry tomato capeletti
    Leek ravioli
    Artichoke lasagna
    Meat lasagna
    Tiramisu (dessert)

Instant Answers: Caracas

Comments

Caracas Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Caracas restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Caracas sightseeing.