Airport / Arrival, Caracas

Know about this? Rate It!

• CCS domestic and int. terminal airside view
    CCS domestic and int. terminal airside...
  • CCS domestic and int. terminal airside view
    CCS domestic and int. terminal airside...
    Laser airlines CCS domestic

By airplane

by MalenaN Written Jul 6, 2007

The airport in Caracas

I flew with Lufthansa to Caracas (Air France and Al Italia are other companies flying to Caracas) and the journey from Frankfurt took about 10 hours. On the plane both lunch and dinner was served, and a small sandwich or cake in between. When we arrived in Caracas (14.40) Al Italia also arrived. There was a lot of people going through the immigrations (I think I queued almost half an hour), so make sure you have all the papers ready, including the forms you were given in the airplane. As you go out of the customs you will find an information desk to your left, and the airport bus is just outside the main entrance.

From airport to Rodovias Bus Terminal

by MalenaN Written Jul 6, 2007

Going from the airport

The buses from the airport are small and white. You will find them just outside the exit. It cost 13 000 Bs (June 2007) to Caracas city centre. On its way to the end station Parque Central it stops by Gato Negro and Bellas Artes metro stations. I was advised at the airport to go to Parque Central and from there take a safe taxi to Rodovias as it was rush hour at the metro (but it was a Sunday). Gato Negro seemed very busy but outside Bellas Artes it looked quiet. From the airport the bus took only one hour (somebody I asked thought it was going to take two hours), but I guess it will be even quicker when the new bridge is opened, the old one colapsed but the new looked almost finnished.

• ludogatto's Profile Photo

Airport info Part 1

by ludogatto Updated Apr 4, 2011

In the international airport u can find internet poin, mony changer, some fast foods, hotel reservation point for the hotel near the airport.
    If u have to go to /from the national to the international airport rememeber that the 2 building are separeted, u have to go out and wlk for 200 metrs, u don't need a taxi, but if u have a lot of luggage there are official attendants for it ( I don't know the rates)
    If u have to go to Los ROques rememeber that the flight don't leave from the national airport, but u have to go to another little building, 500 mts from the national building...I walked cause I had only a trolley, but if u are lazy u can take a taxi!

Rememeber that in the airport many people ask u if u need taxi, guid or change money:
    - take only the balck taxi with the airport logo on the door, or the with one with a yello/blak line on the door....this are the official taxi, they are safe! On the airport website u can find the prices!
    - I changed my Eros and Dollars with a man in the airport, I wark ther, but be carefull....first time I changed only 100 Euros, after 2 hours I asked to change more because I was more sure of the situation, I leaved all the luggage to my partner and I went tho the toilet for the meeting only with the 100 dollars!

If u have to go in Caracas rememeber that now need from 1, 5 to 2 hours cause on the freeway there is a interrupion do to not safe bridge, that last week was destroied....so take your time!

If u need more info on the airport and the services go to the airport web site where u can find also allt he nearest airport hotel.....this website is only in spanish!

Caracas Airport Transport

on the way to airport

There are buses, collectivos (kinda microbuses that run like buses. Smaller and crowded, not a travelling option) but as the guidebook advises you and so does VTer Kelly, you just take registered taxi in this apparently most insecure capital city in South America. Allow at least 40 min. for the taxi ride between the airport and the city.

Taxi from airport

on the way to airport

There was no agency I could see in the airport where I could find a fare deal of transport. No one around speaks English in the airport. After changing the money when I was out an air-conditioned large cab I had negotiate for 25 USD. I should have better paid in local currencies since USD is officially a undervalued currency in this country!

Taxi to airport

picture from the taxi

But when I took a cab to the airport, I paid 17 USD! How? I asked my hotel receptionist to get me a taxi at a good price the night before. He called his friend and asked me to pay 17 USD. I often did it in my travel around south America and in most cases I paid much less (I could feel it!). And getting a cab through the hotel has always seemed to me much safer than waving one. The guy spoke very good English and I could learn a lot about Venezuela.

Departure tax

Caracas road

In most South American countries (particularly the smaller ones), departure tax has become a norm and often paid in cash. Though my travel agent specified about tax in Cuba airport must be paid in cash, I had to find out that it was also the case in Colombia, Ecuador and Bolivia. Venezuela was a nice surprise since the tax was paid with my ticket! Otherwise paying 45 USD in cash while on travel might have been a big deal.

Flights to Bogotá

Aeropostal service

There are several flight s to Bogotá and you always get an option to leave Caracas in the morning, afternoon or evening. My suggestion would be leave Caracas early in the morning and spend the rest of the day in the comparative safer city, Bogotá.

Professionalism

by travelife Written May 17, 2005

Much to my disgust, during the boarding time, we were all asked (in Spanish) to stand and queue coming out of the boarding area. And then we are allowed back into the boarding area after giving up our receipt. And then later we were asked again queue up to board into the plane. What would have been a big deal if they would have done it once?

• Wanderboy43's Profile Photo

Take the airport bus to teh city center

by Wanderboy43 Written Dec 7, 2005

The bus from the airport to teh city center seemed safe to me. It?s not a local bus, but an airport bus that fills up at teh airport and then makes about 4 stops to let people off in the center. I had to walk 5 minutes to the other terminal (domestic?) to catch it. It leaves when full (about every 30 minutes). You buy a ticket for 5000 ($2.50) in a booth just inside near the bus.

From Caracas to Mérida by plane

by MalenaN Written May 13, 2009

The airport in caracas

As I was flying from Los Roques to Caracas and then from Caracas to Mérida I had booked the ticket for Mérida at the same time I booked my trip to Los Roques. I made the arrangements with a travel agent in Venezuela via mail before leaving home. The ticket for Mérida was 135 dollars (June 2008).

If you arrive with an international flight you will find the terminal for domestic flights just next to the international terminal. I arrived from Los Roques and the luggage was not transferred as you carry your own luggage from the plane. I checked my bag in and then paid the airport tax, which was 23 BsF for domestic flights (June 2008). Inside the terminal (after security control) there are several shops and restaurants and I had sushi while waiting for my flight.

I flew with Santa Barbara Airlines and the flight was 45 minutes and during this time we got some snacks. In Mérida we landed at Aeropuerto Alberto Carnevalli, which is situated only 2km from Plaza Bolívar. The airstrip is not very long here and I have heard that another airport further away is used in bad weather. The luggage arrived quickly and I went to one of the taxis outside the building. I took the taxi to Posada Guamanchi and it was 12 BsF.

• cochinjew's Profile Photo

santa barbara airlines departures

by cochinjew Written Feb 2, 2006

Para nuestros pasajeros que viajaran desde y hacia el Aeropuerto Caracas en Charallave, ofrecemos SERVICIO GRATUITO de Buses.
    A continuación horarios de traslado desde nuestra sede principal en la Urbina hasta Aeropuerto Caracas y regresos desde el Aeropuerto Caracas con parada en Altamira hasta la Urbina.

Horarios de Buses
    S3 5241 SVZ-CCS 05:50pm 07:10pm 08:00pm

• skullcrusher's Profile Photo

Current airport issues

by skullcrusher Updated May 26, 2006

At this time transport issues getting from the airport to Caracas is a bit of a challenge, but far from impossibly difficult. Since a bridge along the road became too unstable for use they have built an alternate route that is congested, slow, and passes through some rather rough neighborhoods.

Perhaps the safest way to get into town is to hop into the black Ford Explorers waiting outside the arrivals terminal. Unfortunately they charge 100,000 Bolivares (about US$46) for the 1 hour ride. If you are able to flag down a white taxi with yellow plates then they are a reasonably safe and cheaper alternative. I would advise that the guys inside the airport who try to get you to use their "private" vehicles should be ignored.

Returning to the airport from Caracas is much simpler and should cost leaa. I got qoutes ranging around 50,000 Bolivares. I think that omce they biuld a new bridge transit times will decrease along with the prices.

On the bright side, the airport currently isn't charging the departure tax of 50,000 Bolivares. So that's a little bit of good news.

One thing you should keep in mind is that though it's easy to convert foreign currency to Bolivares, once you get to the airport it's next to impossible to convert any remaining Bolivares back into US dollars or Euros or such. So unless you want to be stuck with a bunch of currency that's worthless outside of Venezuela be sure not to have a huge wad of Bolivares left over as you prepare to leave.

• Business Travel

• vivacolombia's Profile Photo

highway closed between Maquetia airport and Caraca

by vivacolombia Written Jan 13, 2006

Since December, the main highway connecting Caracas to its airport (14km away) has been closed down indefinitly. It bothers the 40 000 daily users but also us, travelers trying to conect to other cities by bus (or those just trying to spend some time exploring in Caracas).

Taxis are increasing their prices. From 30 000Bvs in November, they increased it to 50 000 and it costs now 140 000 Bvs to go to Caracas (~90$).

If you're arriving late, you might have to spend the night at the airport. The military is protecting the airport and according to the airport...it's safe to stay there. They've put some swimming pool chairs for people to relax aswell as free coffee, tea and water. The restaurants /bars close down at 11pm.

• K1W1's Profile Photo

To and from the airport is a breeze

by K1W1 Written Jan 22, 2003

Getting from the airport to town is a breeze with a good bus service running regularly throughout the day until the last plane flies in. This service costs just Bs2,000 and the bus will drop you within easy walking distance from a metro station (Bellas Artes) not far from the Sheraton Hotel. A one way on the metro within zone 1 costs just Bs260.

Instant Answers: Caracas