Parque Nacional Canaima Local Customs

the water of the Canaima Lagoon
    by call_me_rhia
  • venezuela guaica indian breastfeeding a puppy
    venezuela guaica indian breastfeeding a...
    by carolinaEspada
    Chamber pot, in spanish BACINILLA
    by carolinaEspada

Most Recent Local Customs in Parque Nacional Canaima

• carolinaEspada's Profile Photo

Breast feeding... a puppy...

by carolinaEspada Updated Sep 27, 2004

From years and years I've had this postcard with me. I find it lovely: a venezuelan "guaica" indian breast feeding a puppy. I always thought that this was a loving and generous tradition, but recently I read that dogs saliva is a great cure for "mastitis": inflamation of the breast due to breast feeding, excess of milk, whatever. Anyhow, I still find it adorable.

venezuela guaica indian breastfeeding a puppy
    • Adventure Travel
    • National/State Park

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

red water - red sand

by call_me_rhia Written Aug 18, 2004

The lagoon and the sand on the shore of the Canaima lagoon are of a strange colour_ brown-red. Don't be surprised: it's neither dirty nor polluted... it's its natural colour, and you can safely swim there (many people do it every day). The reason for this peculiar colour its the abundance of minerals present in the water. Even quartz.

the water of the Canaima Lagoon

• carolinaEspada's Profile Photo

MOSQUITO REPPELENT

by carolinaEspada Written Dec 18, 2003

Ok, lets say that mosquitos are killing you... Lets imagine that that silly spray or cream or whatever you brought to protect yourself from mosquitos and other weird looking tiny animals and insects doesnt works. Lets realize it, all of this imported stuff makes our mosquitos laugh and then bite you. You are bloody, tasty and delicious. You have a whole new flavor for them and lot to give! So... what can you do?

Something horrible that some brave venezuelan tiger hunters do (as they spleep in hamocs, unprotected, at night, in the middle of the jungle, surrounded by all sort of creatures: spiders, snakes, ugly frogs, hairy caterpillars, bats, etc).

First thing: you pee in a pot.
    Let it... refresh, cool... (yuk).
    Splash and cover every inch of your body with your pee.
    No one will approach you: from "hungry vampire" mosquitos to your fellow campers.

Oh well... You cant be perfect.

I´ve never done this. When I go to the jungle I sleep in a hotel with a mosquito net over my bed. But in a desperate case, I will spray some of my own Pee Number 5 on me. Oh yes. You dont have a clue about how our jungle mosquitos behave.

Chamber pot, in spanish BACINILLA
    • Camping
    • Jungle and Rain Forest

Instant Answers: Parque Nacional Canaima

Comments

Parque Nacional Canaima Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Parque Nacional Canaima local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Parque Nacional Canaima sightseeing.

View all Parque Nacional Canaima hotels