Caripe Travel Guide

humboldt mountains
    the statue of El Guacharo

Caripe Things to Do

by call_me_rhia Written Aug 19, 2004

At the entrance of the village you can see its only interesting sight: the statue of El Guacharo. It has a wingspan of about 10 metres. The real Guacharo is ten times smaller. What's the Guacharo? Obviously a bird - and in particular a night bird that during the day sleeps in caves - and he only lives in some tropical parts of South America. Near Caripe there's a cave with over 15000 of these guacharos - hence the reason for the statue.

the statue of El Guacharo

Caripe Restaurants

by call_me_rhia Written Aug 19, 2004

At first it did not look like much... no one was sitting there, and it was non-smoking. We had a good look around town and went back to Mogambo - it looked like the most pleasing place to eat. Needless to say, we ate outside. We enjoyed the crispy air, the good food and the staff's friendliness

Favorite Dish: the steak... did I mention it was huge? Delicious, too. But it was nothing compared to the wonderful natural fruit juices - the blackberry one is the best I've ever had

mogambo - outside

Caripe Off The Beaten Path

by call_me_rhia Written Aug 19, 2004

The Cueva del Guacharo is a very long, large and spectacular natural cave located 12 kilometres from Caripe. It's the place where the famous bird El Guacharo lives - and in great numbers (about 15000). It's possible to visit the first 1200 metres of the cave and see huge stalagtities and stalagmites - but if you only care about the Guacharo you don't need to join the tour, as it lives in the atrium by the entrance. If you go inside, however, you will see plenty more of animals - not only bts - but crabs, grasshoppers and ants, too.
    Entrance is quite pricy for Venezuelan standards: 24000 bolivares, which is well above the minimun daily wage espeblished by the government. Not sure if it's correct paying such price. If you look closely to the cliff in the pic, you will see a hole: it's the cueva's entrance.

the cliff with the entrance

by call_me_rhia Written Aug 19, 2004

The Humboldt Range is a series of spectacular mountains that you'll pass on your way to Caripe - especially if coming from Cumana. They are very luscious and green - so don't mix them up with the more famous Pico de Humboldt near merida - it's quite a world apart. Alejandro Humboldt - a german born geologist/scientist that had spent a lot of time travelling in Venezuela (there's in fact a Ruta de Humboldt). These mountains look really great - especially for biking - which we did not have time to do. next time, maybe...

humboldt mountains

• Caripe Hotels

0 Hotels in Caripe

Caripe Favorites

by call_me_rhia Written Aug 19, 2004

Favorite thing: Caripe is is green - it's a small mountain town in between the hot Caribbean coast and the grey concrete of Maturin. The iar is clean and fresh, and all around there's plantations - of fruits (especially oranges) and of coffee.

Fondest memory: I liked the laid back tranquillity of the city and its peculiar landscape. You look left on a mountain flank, and see swiss-type chalets - you look right and it feels like a dense thai forest.

morning fog at caripe

Instant Answers: Caripe

Comments

Caripe Travel Guide
Map of Caripe