VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Courtyard By Marriott Beijing

Tags

Spa and Resort Business Travel Budget Travel
See Amenities

Sexual Assault at Beijing Courtyard Spa

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 3, 2009

I am a long-term platinum member. This weekend I was in Beijing on my points, and asked for a massage. The Courtyard has a spa, one which advertises a special rate for guests, all costs are charged on the Courtyard bill. The spa is down the hall from the Courtyard in a health centre.

Without dealing with details, I was sexually assaulted by my masseuse. Since no one at this property spoke English, and I was terrified to deal with Chinese authorities, I tried to launch a complaint on line. For two days I heard nothing, and finally got Marriott operations today.

They will not refer me to higher than phone answering employees. No one has asked me how I feel, was I harmed, nothing. They are insisting I go to the Beijing police, but am now in Korea, and frankly, I am more interested in making sure this never happens again than dealing with charges that may or may not be criminal --

Long and short of it all, I am in a mess, I am a mess, and cannot believe that this is the treatment a serious complaint gets.

DO NOT go to this hotel. Be cautious of using any Marriott Spa personal massages. They claim no liability for their actions and their employees.

jlanza29's Profile Photo

Ok...but nothing special

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 17, 2009

This Courtyard by Mariott is just Ok, it has a subway stop about a block away (Line 2 and 5) on the Chongwenman stop..... but the hotel faces a shady neighborhood. The hotel lobby is always hot.....they don't turn on the AC either in the lobby or the elevators or in the hallways. The service was just Ok, I asked for a map of Beijing and they gave me one in Mandarin...I looked at the guy and told him are you kidding do I look if I speak or read Mandarin !!!!! They also give you a half a$$ card with the hotel name, the card looked like a photocopy of a card.....We paid 500 RMB with taxes, so that's about $80 Us dollars.....just ok.....no real concierge, the taxi drivers that hang out at the concierge desk look shady.....and now the rooms...The rooms are newly redone....but you step into the bathroom and the hotel was cheap and didn't redo the bathroom...the rooms look totally new, but the bathrooms are 30 year old !!!!!! .... if you need a basic place to stay, and cheap then stay here, if your looking for location, and quality service...look somewhere else ..... 5 out of 10.... JUST OK

lizzybee001's Profile Photo

Good Hotel for the Price

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 30, 2008

We stayed at the Courtyard By Marriott in Down Town Beijing. It was a very good price at the time for the stay.

Near:
It's part of the New World Center, about 10 minutes away from Pearl Market, Tian An Men Square, the Forbidden City and other imperial sites. It's got great shopping in the New World center, with brands names and non-brand names.

It's really close to the subway station which made it really easy to get to places- and all the signs are in english!

Food:
They have a really great restaurant in the Hotel (but it's only open till 10pm). The room service was fantastic and came in really handy when my husband got food poisoning. It's reasonably priced, but don't tip, since there is a 18% charge on whatever you order.

There is also a Sushi restaurant literally around the corner, as well as a KFC and McDonald's close by. But I don't recommend them at all. They also have a market down stairs.

The rooms:
We stayed in the Executive room and it was not impressive. It was on the 7th floor and though the space was good, it was not very 'clean' looking. The carpet made our socks dirty! And even though we ordered a non-smoking room, we got a smoking room, which made the first couple of days horrible! But we upgraded to the 'owners' room which was okay. The water wasn't consistently hot even in the most expensive room. They are doing an upgrade now, and hopefully it's better.

Included:
Breakfast buffet- the eggs are runny even if you want scramble. The breads were good, fruits were fresh.
High Speed internet was supposed to be included, but we had to pay an additional $10 CAD a day.

Getting around:
The hotel waved down taxi's for us and gave us cards of the hot spots written in chinese and english (which every hotel does).
Subway station is very close by.

I would probably stay there again on another trip because its' a convenient location and has great service.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel if you're on a honeymoon, or a romantic getaway or if you have family.

Unique Quality: Nothing outstanding actually. Just a good location.

Directions: Close to Pearl Market and is in the New World Center

Thanks but no thanks

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 30, 2008

I stayed on business on the Executive Floor. By western standards it was old and dilapidated. It was on the cusp of dirty but just liveable. I bathed in a detol bath if that is an indication and I have never done that before, mainly due to the do not drink the water notice in the bathroom. Executive Club level was ok, nibbles, beer and wine a plenty, breakfast was so, so. They could not speak English. Front desk was very helpful, friendly and courteous where the English was better.
There are large floor to ceiling columns in the foyer, I mean BIG round columns making clear visibility for the front desk to all parts of the big foyer very difficult. It made certain people hanging around in the foyer, well hard to see. These people would ask if you required certain services. People your wife may not approve of should they end up alone in your room. As I said, there are Big columns in the foyer making visibility difficult and so I do not criticise the management for the people being there. I would give them the benifit of the doubt. I would score the hotel 6/10.

Unique Quality: Great location, right on a subway, big shopping center and a modern English speaking doctors surgery in same building. I got sick and needed their help, 10/10. If you are disabled, don't try the subway, you just won't get to a train with mostly steps/few escolators.
Get all your destinations written in Chinese, expect a blank look when you say Tianimen Square, taxi drivers like most Chinese don't speak English.
Don't rely on your Visa or Mastercard. I had a BP/Citibank Mastercard which was refused in big department stores which took Mastercard. Think of it this way, if you owned a shop and someone walked in with a Mastercard with only Chinese writing on it, would you take it? Cash, cash cash, but even then, get it on;y where you can trust.
I had an argument with my taxi driver at the airport when I was leaving because he swore I was giving him counterfit money. It took three other taxi drivers to convince him, it was genuine.

snowboarder74's Profile Photo

Centrally located, good service

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 20, 2007

We stayed here for 3 nights during our trip to Beijing towards the end of October in 2007. We used Marriott points for this stay so it didn't cost us anything. The concierge was very helpful and accommodating. We loved the fact that the hotel was centrally located in downtown and close to the subway station (Chongwenmen). It cost us about 110 RMB from the airport to the hotel. Also, if mandarin is not your native language, I highly recommend that when you first arrive at the airport in Beijing and get in a taxi, you have the hotel's phone number handy. No matter how you say the hotel's name or address to the cab driver, the odds are that he won't understand a single word of what you are saying. Since almost everyone there carries a cell phone, he can easily find out where he needs to go if you give him the phone number. Once you are at the hotel, simply grab their business card that has the hotel's address, etc written in Chinese. It's about 5 min cab ride to the Forbidden Palace, etc. There is an internet cafe (or bar as they call it there) right across in the SoShow building.

The rooms and service met our expectations. One night we tried the dessert in the restaurant/lounge downstairs and it was sort of below average.

sunnysarah's Profile Photo

hotel with great service

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 16, 2005

We have stayed here for both our trips. At the time we were getting an Air Canada Employee discount. Rooms were clean, nice, your typical hotel room. Included was one buffet breakfast, fairly good, lots of selection, omlette, dim sum, fruit, cereal.....

Unique Quality: The best part of out stay there was the service!
On our first trip we were there over my B/F's birthday. When we checked we gave the desk our passport...well they noticed that it was his birthday, and on his bday when we returned to the room after a day of shopping there was a cake with "Mr. Sutherland Happy BIrthday" written on it!!!
We met some people while out and about and went to their room for a drink before dinner. That was when we realized not all the rooms were as nice as ours...we had also been upgraded to the corner room, with a couch, maybe a Jr Suite? That treatment cememnted where we will be staying on all our visits.
the New World Courtyard Bejing
A Marriott Hotel.

Directions: Chongwen District

ahoerner's Profile Photo

New World Courtyard Hotel Marriot

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 23, 2005

Nice accomodations and a quite sober decoration in this Marriot hotel.

It is located in the same New World Mall complex, being actually one of its towers.

Western and Chinese breakfast are served on the 2nd floor.

For the visitor, it offers one of the best locations, excellent accomodations and facilities.

Unique Quality: Excellent location between the Forbidden City and the Temple of Heaven (walk distance of about 20-30 min).

New World Courtyard Marriott

by written on August 24, 2002

$40.00 range off-peak (USD)

Unique Quality: In off-peak, this hotel was well worth the price of $47.00 USD. A four-star hotel with a great restaraunt (dinner at about $6-7). Walking distance to the subway, Forbidden City, and Wangfujing Street for shopping.

Nearby Courtyard By Marriott Beijing

Courtyard By Marriott Beijing

• Courtyard Beijing
  • Beijing Courtyard
  • Courtyard Hotel Beijing
  • Pentahotel Beijing Hotel Beijing

Address: 3-18 Chong Wen Men Wai Street , Chongwen District, Beijing, Beijing, 100062, China

5 Photos of Courtyard By Marriott Beijing

• Free High Speed Internet
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Beijing Travel Forum

Need advice about Beijing, China? Visit the Travel Forum for Beijing and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Beijing hotel reviews