Shahpura House

Tags

Arts and Culture Luxury Travel Historical Travel
See Amenities
toonsarah's Profile Photo

It will be nice when it's finished!

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 12, 2015

I'm not too sure what to say about this small heritage hotel in a quiet Jaipur suburb. It has many great attributes. The public rooms are stunning, as you can see from my photos, exuding a great sense of history. The staff are charming and friendly, eager to please. There is a nice swimming pool, where I enjoyed a dip after a hot day's sightseeing, and a spa which I didn't use. One of its biggest charms is the lovely rooftop restaurant where we ate tasty curries on both evenings, with traditional Rajasthani music and dancing.

However there is an air of amateurism about the place that can be a little wearing after a while. Service is painfully slow, with two different bar men coming back three times to double check our drinks order and/or room number, for instance, and an afternoon sandwich ordered by the pool taking almost an hour to arrive. Wifi is free, but available only in the lobby and lounge, and even there frustratingly slow.

Our room was lovely – large, and simply but attractively furnished, with a seating area with wardrobe and mini bar, and sleeping area beyond (twin beds with pretty pink throws). The bathroom had a walk-in shower with rain shower head, and was provided with plenty of toiletries and thick towels. We had an in-room safe, air conditioning and fans, and state-of-the-art light controls. The beds were on the firm side, which I prefer and found comfortable, but the noisy A/C (or heat of the room if that was turned off) meant that I didn't sleep as well here as elsewhere. And don't expect to sleep in - the staff were going about their work by 6.00 AM and this is an echoey building.

The main downside to our stay, apart from the aforementioned erratic service, was that our room was in a wing that was still being restored and it was a bit disconcerting to have to access the room via a staircase with an unfinished banister, and walk along a corridor with an unfinished floor and blocked off corners, to the background noise of hammering and sawing. Several times I had to step over tools left on the floor or over trailing cables. There was a lot of dust from the marble polishing which found its way into our room, making the floor permanently dusty. And although the room once reached was as I have said lovely, and clearly newly decorated, we couldn't help but conclude that they really shouldn't have opened the wing up for use before finishing the building work. The air of unfinished business extended into the room too. Some of the sockets didn't work and on the second day we had no hot water morning or evening. Worse, there was an exposed dangling electric cable in the bathroom right next to the shower, which looked decidedly unsafe, and although they did offer to tape it when we mentioned our concern they never did, and we just got used to avoiding it.

On the whole though I am glad we stayed here as it was a wonderful building to experience. But if booking a room in the near future I would suggest you check that it’s not in the unfinished new wing, and in any case go prepared to put up with haphazard, albeit charming, service.

Unique Quality: The hotel has its own resident astrologer. We didn’t avail ourselves of his services but other guests certainly did. One evening as we sat in the lounge to take advantage of the wifi, he was there with an Australian woman, telling her fortune in some detail, with various charts to evidence his predictions. She seemed pleased with what she heard, but of course I will never know if what he told her came true.

Next tip: the rooftop restaurant at Shahpura House.

Directions: The hotel is in a pleasant residential suburb about 4 km west of the city centre – see on Bing map

Radiomom's Profile Photo

Yes, this will do quite nicely :-)

by written on October 25, 2014

As our driver approached the hotel, we really liked the neighborhood. When we checked in, we were told our room wasn't quite ready, but we could wait by the pool and have some lunch, if we wanted. We went out to that lovely pool area and seated at a table, and enjoyed a simple lunch. A nice, civil welcome to Jaipur. Our room, a small suite on the top floor, was splendid! Yes, we grinned at each other as we unpacked and cleaned up before meeting our guide and driver for an afternoon tour, this will do QUITE nicely.

The room price, according to Trip Advisor is about $95 avg per night per room-- not per person.

Unique Quality: The hotel roof-top restaurant was quite good, and the floorshow was delightful. We should have eaten here both nights we were in Jaipur! The breakfasts served in the beautiful downstairs dining room(s) were also first rate.

There are wonderful sitting rooms on the main floor and they are decorated wonderfully. If you are only staying one or two nights, be sure to explore these parts of the hotel. If you are staying longer, lucky you!

We walked around the area one morning, as we waited for our driver, and found it to be quite a neat and "posh" neighborhood that isn't touristy at all.

Carino's Profile Photo

Shapura House

by written on May 12, 2007

What a lovely hotel! You feel like in a fairy tail. Every detail of the interiour fits and makes your stay more comfortable.

Unique Quality: The rooms are absolutely great! The four-poster bed is the highlight....

Robert_Hun's Profile Photo

A heritage hotel in a family home

by written on September 10, 2005

I really enjoyed my stay here. The house has a very special atmosphere as it's still functioning as a residence of an ex ruling clan. You feel the history around.

Unique Quality: The house has a beautiful interior (almost like a royal palace), a stylish restaurant with great local food, a pretty little pool and a superb terrace.

Directions: In the Bani Park area near the railway station (1 km)

j-san's Profile Photo

Hotel Shahpura House

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 26, 2003

Felt like a dutchess and so much space!! With a room like this, it's best to just stay in with room service for the evening...

j-san's Profile Photo

Medium sized Haveli turned hotel...

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 26, 2003

Upon enetring my room, I was so thrilled! It was just what I had wanted. Exhilaration soon turned to frustration, as I could not lock my door. I was then shown some other rooms, and would say that none that none were as opulent looking as this. So a member of the staff came with screwdriver and other tools and 15mins later the door was lockable.

Unique Quality: The rest of the evening I spent making the most of it with a long luxurious soak in the bath and cable TV in my lovely bed.

Nearby Shahpura House

• Suites
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Jaipur Travel Forum

Need advice about Jaipur, India? Visit the Travel Forum for Jaipur and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Jaipur hotel reviews

Elephant Ride
1135 AD
AAPNO Rajasthan
Restaurants
Celebrated my birthday at Virasat SheeshMahal.
The Palace
Albert Hall
Silver urns
Samode Hotel
Jal Mahal
City Palace
By road to Jaipur
Transportation
Dine on the roof terrace
Hawa Mahal
Astronomy
City Palace - Jaipur
Delicious meal inside the Amber Fort
Restaurants
Amber fort arrival by elephant
Sheesh Mahal - Palace of Mirrors