Hiroshima Prince Hotel

Value Score

Great Value!

Costs Less than similar hotels

See Hotels with Better Ratings

Laptop damage on shuttle bus

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 30, 2015

My laptop was placed in a special laptop backpack, which has a padded area for the laptop and an area for clothes etc. After we booked into the hotel, and in the room I went for the laptop to e-mail my son. The top right corner of the tablet was damaged. The screen shattered at the top left corner, with hairline cracks along the whole screen. The top left corner of the tablet case is also cracked. But worst of all the top left corner of the mother board is broken, which make sense that the laptop would not turn on. I took the laptop immediately to the front desk to make a complaint against the shuttle bus driver.

Over this evening the hotel translator made contact with the bus company. We were only staying one night, and were to meet the translator that morning between 9 -11 am. During the evening she and a manager, came to our room to see the bag in which we carried the laptop. They felt the padded back of the bag.

It was interesting, as we were to met with the hotel translator the morning we were about to leave between 9 - 11 am. We went for a walk through the national park next to the hotel, and when we returned to the hotel to meet with the translator, she said the bus company representatives were here to meet with us.

When we arrived, the General manager of the hotel, and other manager, we meet last evening, were seated. On the other side were three shuttle bus company representatives. We were introduced to the five Japanese people.

The bus company were just about to show us the video evidence, which upset my wife, so she got up and left. I remained. The so-called evidence showed people exiting the bus and my wife and I approaching from a distance. It showed us handing our two backpacks two bags to the bus driver. He told us to sit down in the bus, so my wife moved off but I hesitated while she was about to enter the bus. That was all the evidence. I immediately asked where the video evidence for the bus baggage compartment was.

There was none. I said the video evidence was inconclusive, as it did not show how the bus driver treated our bags. I said, I only gave him the bags out of politeness, as he knew very little English. I hesitated as I wanted to see how our bags were placed away. But as the video showed another person brought along a trolley with other bags, which obscured my view, so I entered the bus. I should have been impolite and kept my bag, to take it on the bus.

They said the driver placed our bag carefully on the bus, and I responded, how do you know, as there is no video evidence. In any case, other bags were placed in the baggage compartment after ours were placed in. This could have damaged the laptop, or when the bus traveled to the hotel, bags could have bumped against our bags.

We said, in any case, the laptop was in perfect condition the day before and at the island we went to just about 4 hours previously.

They were trying to say that we left our bags in the JR Railway storage at Hiroshima station, where we knew that fragile materials such as laptops would be left under the clients risk. We took the bags with us to the island, and placed them in over-sized lockers for the 3.5 hours we were there, paying 500 Yen at the ferry terminal on the island. I handled my bag for our entire trip to the island and Hiroshima. My bag was in my possession for the whole trip and it was only when the bus driver had my bag that it was not under my care.

We asked the shuttle bus company to repair the laptop. They said it would take about one month to repair. We then said we would be in Australia.

I could see that really made the three bus company reps uncomfortable so we said if they repaired the laptop, they could send it to my son's girlfriend's parent's address, and we would pay for the transport of the laptop to Australia. The hotel manager and bus company reps appeared to be comfortable with that.

We left Hiroshima near noon and my son's girlfriend got a call from the Bus company representative at 1 pm, saying that they would not repair the laptop.

My advice to the Hotel, is that they should ensure that when the bus company take bags with fragile electronic apparatus, that they should make clients aware that they let their bags be placed in the luggage compartments under their own risk. If this was stated, I would not have let the driver take it.

The shuttle bus company should give clients a warning concerning fragile material, and that they take no responsibility for damage caused during transport.

Otherwise we enjoyed the view from our hotel room, the room itself, and walk around the sea side and national park.

We found the hotel staff exceptionally helpful.

Add to your Trip Planner

• Shuttle Service
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Hiroshima Travel Forum

Need advice about Hiroshima, Japan? Visit the Travel Forum for Hiroshima and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Hiroshima hotel reviews