La Felix Hotel

Tags

Backpacking Budget Travel
See Amenities
sunshine_01's Profile Photo

A small hotel in the backpacker's area

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 21, 2012

I arrived at the hotel at about 9.30am and it was earlier than the check in time at 2pm. The receptionist allowed me to have an early check in and asked me to wait for 30min in order to prepare the room. They requested for my passport and kept it upon check in and they would return me the passport upon check out. A room key was given to me and I went to my assigned room. Upon opening the door, I had a surprise. There was a suitcase and many items lying in the room; I was given the key to another guest's room! I closed the door and went to straight to the reception counter and highlighted to them about this mistake. The receptionist was apologetic about the mistake and gave me the correct keys to my room. But it made me wonder what would have happened if someone else were also given the wrong key and entered my room.

My room was with one tiny window and had an attached bathroom to it. Basic toiletries like comb, shower cap, toothbrush etc were provided. If I close the bathroom door, I could still hear the slightly muffled sounds from the constant motorbike/car horns in my room. The horns were lesser as it gets later into the night.

I found the housekeeping service to be less than satisfactory, it could have been better. I went out exploring the city on the second day of my stay and came back to the hotel quite late in the evening. I realised that the shower curtain was removed, but I made do with it. Even though I had a hot shower but it was quite chilly to shower without the shower curtain at night. I thought they would replace the curtain the next day during the routine housekeeping session but they didn't. I had to call the housekeeper to put back the shower curtain. They were not really thorough with the cleaning, some of the rusbish were left there as it was. The water pressure in the shower was quite good however it took about 5min to get hot water during the evening. I had showers in the morning and I noticed that the water would not be hot no matter how long you stay in the shower.

The hotel provided a limited selection of breakfast which includes fresh spring roll, fried spring rolls, mixed salad, omelette, fried rice, cereal, papaya etc. They changed one or two dishes every day. You would be given a breakfast coupon everyday to be redeemed for the next morning. Breakfast hour was till 9.30am.

The location of the hotel was near to most eating places and about 20min walk to the Ben Thanh market. It was slightly further from the other places of interest though. The hotel had provided free internet access and computer at the lobby and free wifi access in your room. Overall, the hotel staff were helpful and friendly.

Add to your Trip Planner

• Bar / Lounge
  • Airport Transportation
  • Free High Speed Internet

Ho Chi Minh City Travel Forum

Need advice about Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam? Visit the Travel Forum for Ho Chi Minh City and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Ho Chi Minh City hotel reviews

Taxi choices
Coffee from a sock
Market for locals
Things to Do
Beautiful museum outside the centre
Things to Do
Night market for haggle lovers only
Things to Do
Reasonable but unspectacular local chain
Pretty building, vibrant square