Canberra Rex Hotel

Hotels.com Orbitz.com

Tags

Road Trip Backpacking Women's Travel
See Amenities

The reality was a relief

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 24, 2011

I booked a night in the Rex based on 4 features that were unique - the price was good, they offered a bottle of wine on arrival, a buffet breakfast and a late checkout. We were only in Canberra for 1 night with a long drive either side, and the option of sleeping in and use of the room for the afternoon before heading back to Melbourne was appealing.

After I booked, I read the reviews - and cringed because I thought I was going to be embarassed at dragging my 'cuddle buddy' into a low rent dive. The reality was a huge relief!

Check in took less than 3 minutes and we were in our room with a bottle of Wolf Blass Bilyara under my arm. It wasn't palatial, but we certainly had room to move. I'd bought a DVD player along so we could relax with a movie over dinner (local takeaway) and a glass of bubbly. I was happy there was no mini-bar - it meant I didn't have to empty the fridge to put MY gear in. Who stays in a hotel and doesn't raid the local Bottle-O first?

The bed was comfortably (I usually don't sleep well in new beds) and sturdy (Ok, I'm showing off now) and everything was clean and made up. Couldn't have asked for better. The bathroom was also clean with big towels and the usual toiletries. Shut the door to prevent steam leaking? Isn't that standard in hotels with sensitive smoke alarms these days? I know Formule 1 and Crowne Plaza have the same notice in their bathrooms...

Anyway, I felt compelled to join this site and leave a positive review - especially when my girl was worried about going out in a crumpled skirt and found an iron and ironing board in the wardrobe - I don't even own an iron! All in all, a perfect place for the weekend we had planned.

PS - showing off again ... if the walls are thin, I hope our neighbours were entertained :D

Unique Quality: Hot Buffet Breakfast, with the addition of cereals / toast / fruit / fruit juice and yoghurts etc
Bottle of wine on arrival (depends on the 'deal')
Faulty Towers cabaret night (we declined!)
4pm checkout
Mirrored cielings in the corridors! hehe

Directions: On the way into town just past the Dickson Shopping Centre

Add to your Trip Planner

Excellent Hotel

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 30, 2010

Can't recommend this Hotel enough. The service was excellent, it is definitly value for money compared to some of the other Hotels in Canberra who charge a lot higher price for smaller rooms, no service and very basic features. The elevator though old worked very well. Although most of the Hotel has an old world feel about it, the room it self was quite spacious and very clean, also sound proof. The buffet breakfast is fabulous and able to be eaten in a relaxed atmosphere which is a definite plus. Would not hessitate in recommending this Hotel to anyone. As we will be going to Canberra on a regular basis, I will definitly be staying at the Rex in the future if possible.

Add to your Trip Planner

Nearby Canberra Rex Hotel

Amenities at Canberra Rex Hotel

• Restaurant
  • Swimming Pool
  • Wheelchair Accessible
  • Free Parking

Canberra Travel Forum

Need advice about Canberra, Australia? Visit the Travel Forum for Canberra and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Canberra hotel reviews