La Mariposa Hotel

See Amenities

Gorgeous Views from La Mariposa

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 30, 2007

We didn't stay at La Mariposa Hotel, but we did visit for a sunset cocktail and it was fantastic. Simply gorgeous views! You can sit in the pool while at the bar, literally, or at the patio tables. Absolutely something you must do when in Manuel Antonio.

Unique Quality: Awesome views.

lesaandbill's Profile Photo

Attitude Adjustment

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 6, 2006

I hardly give bad critiques about anything...hotel, food and all...but this place was one of the worst experiences I've ever encountered with travelling.

I had reserved a room for 2...with 2 double beds for my girl friend and I....and we showed to find 1 double bed...and they didn't have another option for us. They were not apologetic...nor helpful in any way...and after a long travel to get there...it was not a fun day. I absolutely could not believe the attitude.

I just checked their website...and Conde Neste is one of my favorite critiques of magazines...and it looks like they've given this hotel great reviews. Perhaps it has changed a bit...and it is a beautiful hotel...but not any better than the others in this area...and I guess I just want to warn about making sure you get a confirmation and reconfirmation of your type of room reserved. Because even though I had the documentation to prove my reservation...they still charged me the $5000 USD when we didn't even stay one night.!!!

Not recommended

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 19, 2005

Friends told me that La Mariposa hotel used to be one of the best hotels in Costa Rica 20 years ago. It seems that today it is only a distant memory of its celebrated past. Somehow it has not aged well. Some much needed renovations are missing and the staff members act like they are offering you superior service, when in fact they are not.
The view from the hotel is nice, but so is the view from a lot of other hotels in the area, which cost much less.
The new rooms are way too plain to be contemporary. I have stayed at much cheaper 3-star hotels with better rooms and bathrooms.
The service is impersonal. Usually, when I go to Cost Rica I get close with the staff members. By the end of my trip we are definitely on a first-name basis. I don’t think that anybody at the Mariposa ever learned my name.
The Mariposa is not worth the money and lacks the intangible qualities that a hotel should have. It is impersonal and way too expensive for what it offers. There are a lot of other hotels with a great view in the area that are more luxurious, have better hospitality and lower prices than the Mariposa.

Best Views!!!!!!!!!

by written on June 5, 2003

This hotel on top of the mountain is the best place to watch the sunset. The staff are very helpful. However, you have to be careful when reserving because free breakfast is advertised on their website, but it is not for all rooms. Confirm before you get to the hotel.

Unique Quality: The pool's cascading fall is out of this world. The landscape of the the hotel is very pretty.

Nearby La Mariposa Hotel

• Kitchenette
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Airport Transportation

Quepos Travel Forum

Need advice about Quepos, Costa Rica? Visit the Travel Forum for Quepos and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Quepos hotel reviews

Manuel Antonio National Park
Playa Gemelas
At the Beach - Small Menu
Restaurants
Well Known Restaurant with the Airplane!
Toll Roads
El Avion
El Wagon
Polluted waters of Manuel Antonio national park
Quepos Best Western Kamuk Dangerous
Plenty of animals in Manuel Antonio Reserve
Scuba Diving and snorkelling
Things to Do
Best homemade pastas and pastries in Quepos!
Waterfall Rappelling