Melia Cayo Coco

Cuba Cayo Coco

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 15, 2015

7 Jan - 14 Jan 2015
This was my first time to Cuba and my first time to an all inclusive resort.
Cuba:
• I love the music and was hoping to experience the dancing ... closest I got was the evening entertainment on the theatre stage, which was fun but only a teaser and synthesized for appeal to the tourists at the resort. The music at the pool was similar.
• there were many warnings about the food being boring and that was untrue. I found the Cuban food is similar to Eleuthera with simple flavours and clever arrangements to let fresh ingredients impress on their own merit. Lenny's wood fired lobster, the Jardines Del Rey coffee, egg pudding from the resort's Aquas restaurant, as examples
• the people were friendly and curious and interesting in many ways even if the language barrier hindered connection. There were no beggars at the resort. I visited the city of Morón and the beggars were there but left me alone after the first try failed.
• the beaches had a lot of corral so lake shoes are necessary
• snorkelling was beautiful and especially on the catamaran experience
• the VIP lounge at the airport is worth the 25CUC/person when you're leaving and I wish there was a way to confirm a boarding pass electronically before getting to the airport. We were booked through Sunwing and the counter person for checking luggage also gave us the boarding pass.
• Catamaran cruise: easily my favorite excursion ... we went snorkeling at two spots and enjoyed ourselves with dancing and drinks on the boat
• Cigar, Rum and Sugar Mill tour: it was very interesting to see the old Russian equipment at the mill and I particularly enjoyed the meal at the sugar plantation restaurant

Unique Quality: • the resort was still half under construction when I stayed there and many amenities unavailable: nightclub, gymnasium, and the nautical Center
• the rest of the resort is beautiful and the staff are wonderful
• I enjoyed the nightly shows and especially the pool
• on the last day I learned about the kayaks and small sailboats down at the beach which would've been excellent to experience
• the buffet was excellent but very busy
• of the a la cartes I enjoyed the Fuego the most
• the pool was great but shuts down at sunset

Directions: Meliá Jardines Del Rey

Perfect honeymoon destination

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 20, 2010

We can't fault Melia Cayo Coco.

We chose this adults only 5* all inclusive destination for a relaxing holiday after the mayhem of our wedding - we couldn't have chosen better!

The perfect place to totally unwind, enjoy fabulous food (and lots of it, with plenty of choice) and amazing cocktails, bake in the Caribbean sun and take part in all sorts of excursions, as well as activities at the hotel including watersports, yoga, spa, aqua aerobics, dance lessons, bicycling, etc. There really is something for everyone on this resort - and those who say there isn't something for them are undoubtedly fussy and impossible to please!

This hotel can be what you want it to be - a base for fishing or snorkelling or other activity based holiday, a base for exploring Cuba's amazing landscape, wildlife and people, a base for relaxing and enjoying the poolside/seaside activities and provisions and ideally, it's the perfect place to do all those things.

Unique Quality: Honeymoon package is incredible - we had priority checkin, champagne in our room, a room upgrade to one on stilts on the lagoon, a romantic meal for two in the gazebos overlooking the pool, a romantic sunset walk with champagne, a Cuban wedding where we got to 'renew our vows' Cuban style, extended check out and a whole lot more. We felt like VIPs and we loved it!

The service is also worthy of note - the staff are so friendly and helpful and go out of their way to please - without ever making you feel that they are looking for a tip. I was always happy to tip, as the service was genuinely great. It is worth mentioning that in Cuba everyone is paid roughly the same - between 10 and 15 US dollars, regardless of their profession, so tips mean the world to these people (won't go into the whole peso/CUC thing)... The education system is so robust that everyone is entitled to university education at the state's expense - so there are many doctors, lawyers, etc who have opted to work in tourism in order to make the tips. So please, grumpy tourist - think about it before you start mouthing off to your waiter - these guys are probably way more qualified than you!

The beach is great - but walk a few hundred yards up the beach for a better location and a lobster shack. Actually, the best beach we came across was at Sol Cayo Guillermo - worth taking a trip to the next island for spectacular views.

Good Quality All Inclusive

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 7, 2005

We found our 7 night stay at the Melia Cayo Coco very enjoyable. Service was all round good, and the complex was well maintained and kept clean whilst maintaining good security.

The gorgeous sandy beach runs paralel to the complex and is literally just a short walk from the poolside. During our stay the sea stayed fairly calm and was red hot, with mainly clear water. The odd jelly fish was apparent causing myself a couple of scratches on my ankle, but I was ok.

We took full advantage of the all inclusive water sports on offer which included snorkel hire, pedalos and the kayaks. We also paid 20 Pesos each and went out to sea on a glass bottom boat to the coral reef (coral was nice but not like you see on the TV!). The boat anchored up and we had an hour to snorkel, all equipment was provided, we saw plenty of fish, which included seargent majors and yellow tail snappers.

Unique Quality: Set amongst gorgeous countryside, it is in a fabulous location although there is not much else to do in the area, but thats fine if you are there to mainly relax.

The pool is fairly shallow and lovely and warm.

One other tip, you will read from other people that it seems tipping is the only way to get served in this place, but to be honest we didn't tip that much, after a nice meal when we had good service, or quite a few round of drinks. Some people we saw tip loads prior to service, but this didn't necessarily get them better saervice than us. But there are some staff who are obviously used to this and expect to be tipped and if they are not then they may serve others first, this has obviously evolved for this reason which I beleive is wrong, why should wealthier people who are more free and liberal with their money get better service???

Cayo Coco`s Melia Resort

by written on June 6, 2003

Your first view on arrival at the Melia is the lake surrounded by single and two storey bungalows painted in white and blue.

An classic car parked outside the reception makes you wonder what you will find inside but on entry you see a massive lounge, bar and reception area under a glass roof but seeming to be outside due to it`s open plan.

The rooms are in small blocks set around the well tended gardens and each in it`s own peaceful setting , or in the bungalows on stilts over the lake.

Unique Quality: The pool area is wonderful and the pool itself is mainly shallow so ideal to sit in to cool off when the heat gets too much.

There is a small gym next to the pool, a lovely gazebo area used for the one wedding allowed per day, a choice of activities on offer and bars to keep you well supplied with refreshing cocktails.

The staff at the hotel are friendly and helpful and nothing seems to be too much trouble for them.

Directions: In the hotel district

Nearby Melia Cayo Coco

Melia Cayo Coco

• Cayo Coco Melia
  • Melia Cayo Coco Hotel Cayo Coco

Address: Jardines del Rey, Ciego de Avila, , Ciego de Avila Province, 22300, Caribbean

7 Photos of Melia Cayo Coco

• Suites
  • Shuttle Service
  • Bar / Lounge

Cayo Coco Travel Forum

Need advice about Cayo Coco, Cuba? Visit the Travel Forum for Cayo Coco and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Cayo Coco hotel reviews