Excellence Punta Cana

Tags

Romantic Travel and Honeymoons Spa and Resort Beaches
See Amenities

NOT Excellence

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 16, 2015

The Excellence Punta Cana is everything but excellent. My wife and I spent 12 days at this resort with nothing but disappoint after disappointment starting from the first night we arrived. After we checked in at the lobby around 8 pm we were very hungry after 12 hours of traveling. We were told that the lobster house was still open so we were very excited to be welcomed by a lobster dinner. All I will say is stay clear of this place. Nothing worse than over cooked, dry lobster. After dinner we decided to see what the beach was like so we strolled to the beach not expecting to have a shot gun pointed in our face the second we hit the sand. This guy didn't speak any english but was very persistent in pointing the barrel of this gun in my face. Naturally we turned around and went straight to the room.
The next day would prove to me that these people are habitual liars. Casual conversation to the concierge about the size of the waves on the beach turned out to be a huge lie. He told us that this is unusual that is't usually calm. 12 days later I did not see a time where we were able to enter the water past our knees without being told to get out. Then it occurred to me that there were not any of the usual beach toys such as hobie cats, paddle boats, snorkeling gear, parasailing, or boat tours on this side of the island. Hummmm, my bad for choosing this place.
This is the first all-inclusive vacation that I had to upgrade to everything I wanted including dinners.
To cut to the chase a short version to my last few hours on this resort. After dinner last night since we didn't dare walk on the beach we were walking along the pool taking pictures. I inadvertently found a section that the resort failed to light up. I stepped into a friggin moat around a hot tub. Broke my ankle, hit my face on the side of the pool knocking out 6 teeth and split my lip open from nose down. With only 6 hours left to catch my ride to the airport I was not able to spend any much time with the manager but they assured me that my expenses would be covered due to the negligence of the resort. Well after 2 hours in a disgusting ER, stitches in my lip, broken ankle and 6 teeth gone it was not a pleasant trip home. $10,356 US dollars and 58 days later the finally got back to me basically telling me to shove it.

Pleas beware of this resort. You are much better going somewhere else than Dominican Republic. They lack culture, poor service and annoying service. This place is dangerous and no accountability. I will answer any questions you have about this place.

scargo's Profile Photo

Above-average adult resort w. worthless ocean

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 9, 2014

Having been to only six Caribbean resorts in all, I would say that this is a fairly typical all-inclusive “adult” resort that is slightly above average. The food is usually good, it’s moderately quiet, with nice grounds/landscaping and decent amenities. The place was a little down in the heels, but about average. The staff was friendly.
It has a worthless swim beach. Even for sunning or volleyball it can be, and usually is, quite windy with a rough ocean. It is the farthest north resort on the east Atlantic side of the island. You can try to swim or snorkel, but there are areas of dangerous undertow and big waves. It was always a "red flag" day and we could never sail the one catamaran they had. Boogie boards were the only reasonable thing to use in a limited safe area. We had to go off the reservation, on an all-day junket, to do decent snorkeling and SCUBA on the Caribbean side. That trip, with hotel authorized, “Water Fun Dive Center” was a PIA and not worth it for a tiny bit of time in the ocean and mediocre food and drink. We enjoyed swimming in the interior, split-level pool.
The food at the resort was general good, with frequent low spots of inconsistency and quality issues. Both of us had diarrhea. “French” Chez Isabelle was our favorite for food quality. Agave was pretty good Mexican. Spice was supposedly Pan-Asian with sushi/sashimi. We never went back. Some sashimi was still frozen. It was difficult to get eggs the way I wanted them and, at the Lobster House for breakfast, the Mexican eggs with black beans, a bland tomato sauce and rubbery-hard unmelted cheeses on a corn tortilla, was always cold by the time I got it. I never got a decent omelet. I had a hard time getting Tabasco from some of the waiters and usually avocado, cilantro, and jalapenos were in short supply (unless you wanted them in an omelet or ceviche). This incongruity of availability in the different restaurants weirded me out. No jalapenos available as a condiment in a "Mexican" restaurant? Good salsa there but not available anywhere else…
The surprise was the counterfeit Johnnie Walker, Black Label scotch. This is our standard scotch at home and what we had wasn't legit or it was watered down in the bottle. I suspect the former. Seems they were very good at getting you drinks and giving big pours; perhaps to keep you “happy”? Drink quality really varied, too. You will like Presidente… or you will not be drinking beer! In Agave they have two other choices, Corona and “The One Cerveza”.
Paranoia set in when I realized we could not leave the resort without their permission. At least I would have had to leave my bags behind and snuck out. The gate is guarded, they count passengers when you leave and you have to be accompanied (for any excursion). You cannot get a taxi and leave without a document from the desk, that says you are in good standing or part of a tour. There are guards at each end of the beach; keeping riff-raff out and you (or at least your belongings), in. I'm surprised they did not collect our passports. This did not bother my wife and we had a safe in the room.
To conclude, we were stranded in Punta Cana when Jet Blue (who has lost a lot of credibility with us), cancelled our flight after 10 hours of waiting in the Punta Cana airport. NOTE: you cannot stay in the airport overnight! You can stay “outside”, but not inside, once they close.
We were forced to get a room so we chose a resort supposedly 15 minutes from the airport on the north side of Punta Cana and the airport. Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe was the expensive, downer place of the trip. Over the top opulence with a shopping mall feel, it actually had lots of retail shops. The staff was inhospitable and difficult. The food was terrible. Breakfast was a mall-like event with incredible noise. Screaming children ran rampant. We moved the next morning to the Sanctuary Cap Cana on the south side of the airport. We really liked it! Quiet, as per the name, with a small resort feel; I will detail it in it’s own review.

cherylll's Profile Photo

caters to your every pleasure in paradise

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 25, 2007

PERFECT!!
The grounds are well maintained and very clean. No need to even leave this resort as there is so much to see and do on this resort...never a boring moment. Seven restaurants and ten bars, beautiful pools (infinity pool as well), exotic birds, many, many different activities, amazing beach front (no vendor's on this beach) , 24hr room service and so much more! In my opinion caters mainly to couples; Honeymooners, newlyweds, romantic getway.

Unique Quality: Domingo the saxaphone player...nightly between 7pm- midnight he playes his saxaphone and he is excellent...we bought one of his CD"s and haven't stopped listening to it!

Miguel...is a professional photograher who will take amazing, romantic pictures of couples and then put them in oil on canvas....so beautiful and what a perfect way to save your memory's of a very romantic Holiday

Nearby Excellence Punta Cana

• Spa
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Punta Cana Travel Forum

Need advice about Punta Cana, Dominican Republic? Visit the Travel Forum for Punta Cana and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Punta Cana hotel reviews

Airport transfer in Punta Cana
Prestige Limousine Service
Fast and courteous
Transportation
Where are the artists to paint it?
Supreme Snorkeling & Outsatnding Safari
Prestige Limousine Service
Couples only Club
Nightlife
Car rental in punta cana
Punta Cana Airport Transfers
punta cana airport transportation
punta cana airport transportation
NEW RESTAURANT IN PUNTA CANA.. BAVARO
Restaurants
fun buggy Punta Cana
Things to Do
Punta Cana International Airport (PUJ)
A Couple Safety Tips