Couples Swept Away Negril All-Inclusive

Diving and Snorkeling Spa and Resort Water Sports
See Amenities

Amazing Resort - Great Honeymoon

by written on February 17, 2010

We had an amazing honeymoon in July of 2008. We are heading back to Swept Away this summer because we loved it so much.

There are some complaints that I've seen online about CSA and some might be justified and others are not. This resort is beautiful and the service we experienced was friendly, helpful, and wonderful. I prefer to talk about the positives, but I feel it's necessary to address the negative comments left by others.

Common Complaint #1 - "It rained every day, waa, waa" Yes, it did rain every day during our week in Jamaica. The mornings were beautiful, it rained for and hour or so in the afternoon, and then it was gorgeous again in after that. We learned to adjust our schedule. Get up earlier, hit the beach, get some sun, then eat lunch and take a "nap" while it rains. No biggie!

Common Complaint #2 - "The nightlife is boring" - We had a great time. CSA provided entertainment every night. We didn't spend much time in the nightclub. The one night we went it was virtually empty. Most evenings we spent time at the Martini Bar and had a blast with the bartenders and other couples there. If you want craziness, go to Cancun or Cozumel.

Common Complaint #3 - "Our room was noisy/traffic outside." We stayed in an Oceanview Verandah Suite. It was amazing. This trip we will upgrade to Beachfront Verandah Suite, only to be closer to the beautiful beach. From the descriptions of other people, it sounds like if you get a room in the older sections, you could be close to the road. Be picky, do your research and get a room with a good location.

Common Complaint #4 - "It is HOT" Ummm, yes, it is. The resort is huge, plan to walk quite a bit. Bring multiple swimming suits, because otherwise you will be putting on a wet suit often.

Common Complaint #5 - "Didn't like the food." - There are so many options of food available I can't even fathom this one. We ate at every restaurant and they were all great. The buffet wasn't as nice as Feathers obviously, but still very good and a great variety. We had lobster at Patios Patois and it was terrific. They offered more and we were stuffed and turned it down. I saw someone complain about the lack of room service and that is partially true. If you want breakfast in your room, simply fill out the card and you can have room service breakfast. No other meals available in your room.

Complaint #6 - "Lack of activities" - We went snorkeling during the day and at night. The night-time snorkeling cost mabye $30 but sooo worth it. Hobie cats to sail around on your own, glass bottom boat and catamaran cruise were all free. Sandals charges for some of these things! SCUBA is free, but you must pass a test. You are MUCH better off getting certified at home first, so you are ready to roll when you get to Jamaica. We also took the free ride over to the Sands Bar, which was really cool. We paid to go horseback riding, and then you ride the horses while they swim in the bay. A very neat experience!

Overall, we had an outstanding stay. We were welcomed at the airport with beer in the lounge. I made the mistake of drinking two before getting on the 2 hour bus ride. We are thinking of taking a TimAir 15 minute flight next time. Our check-in was easy, but as one person noted, they did not walk us into our rooms, so we did have to look around a little to find it. The air was not turned on yet, but hey, it saves energy people!

We scheduled our meals at Feathers, Lemongrass, etc on the first day we arrived so we wouldn't miss out. Some others waited until the last minute, and by then the restaurants are full. We wanted to do dinner on the beach, but that was full, so book that early or have your travel agent book it for you.

Our room was excellent, great maid service, our (free) minibar was restocked ALL the time with beer, water, various sodas and juices, rum, gin, whisky and vodka I think. Also complimentary bottles of wine in the room! Does it get any better? We had towel sculptures on the bed each night and a VERY comfortable bed. Considering how much sand we tracked in each day, I'm impressed at how clean they kept everything.

The beach is undescribable. Look at the pictures. It is seven miles long people! The ocean water was warmer than the pool and relatively calm during our stay. We went in the pool twice. Once to try and qualify for scuba and the other time to sit at the swim up bar and take a picture there. The pools were rarely in use. I generally dislike swimming in the ocean due to experiences in the USA, but the ocean there was wonderful. We laid on our floaties and took our drinks with us into the water and relaxed!

I was not offered pot, but it's Jamaica, so expect it I guess. There were often musicians on the beach, which was enjoyable. We did not venture out of the resort too much, but we had plenty to do ON the resort.

No tipping allowed, but if you do slip someone a few bucks it will definitely go a LONG way! Our bartender knew what drinks to make, never let our glasses get below half empty, and remembered my wifes allegy to pineapple when he prepared our drinks.

Unique Quality: The beach is second to none.

We had outstanding service.

The athletic building/area is huge!

The spa was wonderful.

Add to your Trip Planner

Go spend your money some where else

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 14, 2009

We stayed in room 4307 on July 6th through July 11th and I am sad to report that this resort does not live up to the standards of a 5 star hotel. My wife and I were very disappointed in the resort its self, most of the staff, the food and the service, which was below standards for this type of place. We have visited other five star resorts in other countries and we have never been treated with such poor service. It is maybe best to just list the problems and awful accommodation in order of when we arrived at the Couples lounge in Montego Bay. Please keep in mind that we were assured that as soon as we got to the Couples Lounge EVERYTHING would be taken cared of.
1) After 2 hours in customs and immigration we dropped our bags at the Couples lounge, they offered us drinks until our transport arrived to pick us up. I got a beer and my wife ordered a rum and coke, I was offered pot by the man who handed me my beer while he forgot my wife’s drink order.Before we could clear up this minor misunderstanding we were told our bus transport was here.
2) The man who offered me the pot directed us out of the airport and into a late model van while we carried our own bags.
3) After the one hour and forty five minute drive in a van that did not seem to own shock absorbers, we arrived at Couples Swept Away.
4) We received no direction on were to go or who to see to check in.
5) I should tell you that Jamaica is HOT.. very HOT and my wife and I knew this going in, but again the service was below par since we were not offered a cold towel as promised when we were to arrive.
6) In any (so called) five star hotel we have stayed in, it was customary to deliver the patron to the room with their luggage and ask if anything else is needed. This did not happen. In fact what did happen was insulting, rude and I began to get a bad taste in my mouth about this place from this point on. The resort is expansive and a lot of walking is required to get from one end of the resort to the other. We did not mind the walking, but it was the service that was terrible. How they actually showed us to our room or I should say NOT showed us to our room was like this: They gathered a group of 8-10 couples and had one staff member walk us out of the lobby and down a lush path of tropical plants and then proceeded to point to the general direction of our hotel room. We were last in our group to get a hand signal and a wave as he said, “your room is just around that corner, the last building” We walked further down the path which we had no idea were our room was. We knew it was on the third floor of one of the building and after making a few wrong turns, we finally found out room. I am still enraged that NO ONE took us to the room.
7) We were further disappointed when we got into the room and found it HOT with no a/c turned on. There was NO hammock hanging on our pouch as promised thru our travel agent, there was NO stocked liquor bottles as promised in the mini bar. We had no idea how to run the a/c since it was remote control and foreign to me. All of these problems could have been resolved IF we had a hotel staff member show us to our room and explain all about the accommodations we will be staying for the next 6 days. Room 4307 as well as all the rooms on this side of the resort had a major road below and the traffic was loud and annoying.They failed big time here.
8) We were so hungry and tired from our 10 hour travel experience that all we wanted to do was get something to eat and fall into the pool. We found a grill on the resort next to the swim up bar/pool and ordered 2 hamburgers and fries, which basically was the BEST meal we had through our stay except for “Feather’s” restaurant we went to 2 days later, which was delicious. (but the staff was rude)
9) FOOD: Besides Feather’s restaurant we experienced average buffet style food and when we did sit down and order, they got most of our order incorrect. Again, I can not stress this enough. If this is a five star resort, the food should match the hype. It did not. In other places we have stayed in, we had lobster, fresh shrimp cocktail, crab legs and clams. This resort had none! We ate in every restaurant on the resort and the most meals were all average buffet style I could get at Myrtle Beach. How can an island resort serve imitation crabmeat? We are on an Island for goodness sake surrounded my seafood, but what we ate was basic frozen seafood or fried fish. My wife even got sick the last night we were there because of the crap they served us.
10) NO ROOM SERVICE! (we could not order breakfast lunch or dinner to our room)
11) ACTIVITIES: IT appeared to us early on, that if you DO NOT make your own fun, no one (especially the staff) is going to help you. We went to the concierge desk to inquire about activities to do on the resort or excursions we could take. The man looked at us with a blank stare and said, “did you try the kayak?” All we wanted was a few suggestions on things to do on and off the resort, but he could not deliver. We did sail on the hobby craft, jet ski ($80.00), snorkel and kayaking which was a blast. It was the first time my wife sailed and she loved it.
One of the reasons we choose this resort was because they offered FREE SCUBA diving after a lesson in the pool (or so I was told before hand) my wife was VERY excited for this chance to SCUBA. She is an animal enthusiast and was thrilled for this chance. BUT, what we were never told was that we had to pass an endurance test. We had to swim 8 laps of the pool to qualify, but since my wife wrote down on the form that she took pills for high blood pressure the SCUBA instructor told her she would have to take a physical examination by the resorts doctor to see if she was fit to dive. (at a cost of $60.00) and even if she did pass the physical, there was no guarantee either one of us would pass the eight lap swim test. We met other guests, half our age that failed the swim test and again we were disappointed.
12) SERVICE: Very Poor. On our third day our room was never cleaned. We arrived back at our room at 4:15 that afternoon to find it untouched. I called the front desk and explained this mistake and they said they were sorry, but housekeeping ends at 4:00pm. After I insisted they fix their mistake, they told us they would send someone up to clean it. We went out for dinner that evening in the hope the room would be cleaned when we returned. When we got back, there were not fresh towels and only the bare minimum was done to the room. AGAIN we had to call and beg for fresh wash clothes, bath towels and bath matt.
In general the staff a Couples Swept Away were slow, rude and seemed to have an attitude when we asked for something.
13) CHECK OUT: If I did not over hear another couple talking about returning your beach towel to the watersports building the day before check out, I would not have a clue. My wife and I have no use for two over washed scratching beach towels and for the resort to threaten us that we would have to PAY for these towels if not returned is a complete insult.
14) OVERALL IMPRESSION: I feel that the money we spent at this resort was not worth it. Other places we have stayed and spent the same amount of money gave us much better service for our dollar. I was offered pot at least 6 times (once a day). The resort was suppose to me ADULT ONLY, but we saw children on this (topless) beach everyday. The food was average and bland. The beach bartenders were VERY friendly and kind, but that could be because they were also doing shots of liquor with the guests.
The two pools (not counting the lap pool) were very small for this sized resort.
Nightly entertainment was either a three - four piece band on stage or a guest participation night. If it was not for “Ultimate Chocolate” (the piano player) for nightly entertainment and the disco late at night we would have been bored to tears.
One last comment... This resort is in serious disrepair. The check in lobby had cracked tiles, the bathrooms were missing shades, woodwork in the main dining area was broken and needed fixing. The rooms were old and dated and needed a facelift. Also.. it is very tacky to xerox menus on paper as if it was an after thought.
It would be my suggestion that you spend your hard earned money at another resort.

Directions: This hotel sits on a busy road!

brit41's Profile Photo

Negril's great hotel choice

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 23, 2009

My husband and I stayed at this hotel recently and had a very good experience. I would compare the customer service at this hotel to a Four Seasons Resort. Everyone was so friendly and accomodating with us at all times. I honestly had low expectations of this hotel but was pleasantly surprised!

Unique Quality: We had an Atrium room that was wonderfully located to many things. We were in a short walking distance away from the beach, less than one minute away from the major restaurant, and far away from the street where we couldn't hear the constant buzz of zooming cars passing by. Our first floor room was spacious, with comfortable beds, an incredible air conditioning system/fan, and relaxing hammock on our patio.

Older couples/ Slow bar scene

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 16, 2008

We usually stay in a beach view or beach front room. Here they assigned us a room next to the road, a very busy road. Cars would fly by our window at 3 am. The people were pretty nice but were not able to get us a reservation when we wanted to go out for dinner. I am a very good tipper and even still it didn't seem as if they much pull at places like the Rock House among others. The bartenders seemed as if the were just putting their time. I've stayed at many places in Negril and never saw such long faces behind a bar. The beaches were nice and clean and Carla, the maid was GREAT!!! That's about it. Crappy room , slow bar scene boring service!

Unique Quality: Beach was nice and clean. Not outstanding.

goodspkr's Profile Photo

The "all inclusive" all inclusive

by written on January 13, 2006

We stayed at CSA in December 2005. In the past three years we have discovered "all inclusives" and found them to be a great way to do beach vacations and have found some favorites in Mexico. This was our first trip to Jamaica and we expected to have a nice time, but CSA exceeded our expectations.

To begin with, just about everything you can think of is included in the "all inclusive." This includes golf, scuba diving, catamaran cruises, glass bottom boat cruises, water skiing, snorkling, etc.

The resort itself has large comfortable rooms with kingsize beds, security boxes in the rooms, and large patios. There are two styles of rooms, the old section with louvered wood shutters over screens, no TV, bathtubs, or minibars, and extremely large patios. The safes in these rooms it a key safe. The buildings are two story and have only 4 rooms to a building.

The new section has three stories with 12 rooms per building. These have minibars, TV and bathtubs but have smaller patios. The rooms have glass windows so tend to be more soundproof and quiet.

The resort currently has four restaurants (2 buffets-2 ala carte ), but soon will go to six with another new section being developed. There also will be a larger swimming pool with a swim up bar in this newer section.

The food is very good in all the venues. Feathers is the most elegant ala carte with Lemongras (Thai) also very nice. Feathers is currently located across the street in the athletic area while the other restaurants are on the north side of the complex by the beach in the old section.

They tend to do magic an night with their lighting. There is a lot of candlelight and electric lights used at night to make the resort magical and romantic.

In the daytime, the beach is absolutely gorgeous. There is plenty of space and chairs on the beach and the combination of beautiful water, white sandy beaches and palm trees make it like your dream of what a tropical beach should look like.

Unique Quality: Great Beach
Great Food
Warm and fun service provided by the employees.
Very romantic

m-gem's Profile Photo

A great intro to the all-inclusive experience

by written on May 20, 2005

As cheesy as the name is, we had a wonderful stay at Swept Away. The room was so spacious: king-size bed, large bathroom, patio in the back with a couch and chair. We were in the older part near the lobby, but we were very satisfied with our room (though I really wanted one of those rooms with a hammock!) We were on the 2nd floor and had a view off the patio of lush tropical vegetation. The beach was perfection, the white sand and palm trees and the bluest water. Every evening we made sure to be down there for the sunset, which was perfect to watch from Negril's western location. The food, for being usually served as a buffet, was overall very good and we developed some favourites during our time there (I particularly loved the fresh waffles in the morning). Oh, and the experience of hitting the bar and not having to pay! And so many drinks to try! The staff were, with a few exceptions, so friendly and helpful. They'd ask you if you were enjoying your day and seem genuinely interested in, yeah, another person saying it was so gorgeous there. I felt like they all are so proud of their country and love that others love it too. They gave the most sincere "you're welcome"s and the biggest smiles. You can't help but walk around with a smile too, feeling so happy to be there.

Unique Quality: What don't they have?... There is a big sports complex, apparently the biggest on the island, if you want to keep in shape while there, or visit the spa for massages, facials, etc. In the main part of the resort, there is a pool and a couple of jacuzzis. There are about 5-6 bars, including two on the beach and one specializing solely in martinis. There's a main restaurant, Asian restaurant, and a formal one that you need to reserve for, plus the veggie bar which serves good stuff for lunch. There is free internet in the lobby and a gift shop, plus you can arrange excursions.

EvaWalls's Profile Photo

Best Honeymoon Spot, Ever!

by written on February 8, 2003

This all-inclusive resort has everything you could want.
No TV. No Clocks. No Radios.
At night you hear the faint sounds of steel drums in the distance. The atmosphere is very laid back and everyone's having a great time.
The resort sits on 20 acres, so even when it's booked solid, you still feel like you have the entire place to yourselves.

Unique Quality: The options are incredible, and everything, but the spa, is included, drinks, food, and activities.
The service was outstanding.
Almost everything is open air.

Nearby Couples Swept Away Negril All-Inclusive

• Free High Speed Internet
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Negril Travel Forum

Need advice about Negril, Jamaica? Visit the Travel Forum for Negril and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Negril hotel reviews