Sandals Emerald Bay

#2 of 13 hotels in Great Exuma Island
Pleasant (2.5 out of 5.0) 3 reviews
TripAdvisor Traveler Rating
Based on 3387 reviews
Compare best prices from top travel partners BookIt

Value Score

Average Value

Price and Rating Equal to similar hotels

See Popular Hotels

Beaches Water Sports Luxury Travel
See Amenities

Awful just say no!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 30, 2015

Horrible! Place at 30% occupancy and they can't seem to do anything one would expect at a 1 star motel!
You call concierge you get voice mail, they never call back or respond to your concern. Housekeeping skipped us on day 2. Broken TV for 3 days so far (out of 5) please note I'm writing this on day 3 rather than enjoying my overpriced vacation! Had and paid for private candlelight dinner tonight and we were blown off... Asked for diet coke in our mini bar which is to be restocked daily, been waiting 3 days and this is still not handled! Broken TV no movies, again 30% occupancy wonder why they can't move us to a room with a TV that works? Oh yes they won't answer the phone.... This place is 3000+ for 5 nights and there is NO service!
Steer clear of Sandals they are a horrible operation as we can't seem to find anyone that cares to even try to make it right!

chattygirl7491's Profile Photo

Exuma Sandals lovely water .. but problems

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 14, 2015

The reason I came here was I'd loved the Sandals Grande in St Lucia ... a co worker married a Dr and bought a house on the island and her pictures got me very interested in Exuma. Plus this Sandals originally was a Four Seasons resort which is on my bucket list. Thus we read reviews for months about this property.
Getting there from Ohio wasn't ideal. There aren't many flights so we had to waste a day each way in travel .. Had long lay over in Miami but once we arrived the resort is very close to the airport.
The bay is gorgeous .. it changed colors while we were there .. one day blues .. another day greens. I guess that's how it got it's name. Loved the ocean. But the price was very expensive and the results didn't match the increased cost.
we had read that it was HIGHLY recommended to pay the extra for the private butler level and I would agree with that. There were several incidence we tried to do something on our own and it went horribly until we mentioned the butler. It truly was like the only people who mattered were the people who paid for the butler. Until you mentioned you'd check with your butler they were very rude and unhelpful. In one case we ordered a pizza and they obviously forgot so we walked over and they suddenly couldn't speak English ... yeahhh right. They didn't say anything in an apology or explanations .. they just chatted in another language. Very rude. Having to pay for the butler made this a very expensive week .. I seem to recall in was around 10,000 with airfare. For that cost ... about double what similar resorts are .. I expected everything to be spectacular .. and it was just good. At least the food and service were hit or miss.
The room was perfect huge and right between the ocean and the quiet pool. The butlers work very hard and do a great job .. my issue is you shouldn't need a butler to get decent service. With the butler we had no problem getting reservations for the restaurants and you tell them where you want chairs reserved .. be it the pool or ocean chairs. They actually come to your room and personally escort you to diner so you don't wait for anything.
This would be a nice place for a honeymoon if your wanting quiet togetherness. Not much to do there after dinner or if it rains. No entertainment or fun games. It's more a quiet relaxing place, I was disappointed they didn't have any shows or at least not much going on. The food was an issue for us .. was not the best . For one thing there are only 2 nice restaurants (French and Italian) we are accustomed to much more variety of choices. The food itself was ok .. some good .. some not so good. We didn't starve by any means But a week there .. my pallet was getting really bored with their selections.
Having a butler can be wonderful if you want to be waited on hand and foot.. they will bring you anything they can. You can order the soup from one place and the entrée from another to be brought to your room or pool cabana .. they transport it on a bike in that head .. in those black uniforms. Poor guys work hard. They work long hours and have more than 2 couples to keep satisfied. Personally we felt so bad for them .. We didn't ask for much so they would just bring us things like snacks, magazines, drinks .. I felt bad so much went to waste. One day we came to the room to find a beautiful bath but we were heading to the beach ... so he just drained it and picked out all the flowers. They go to so much effort but on the one day I expected them to do something .. my birthday .. they surprised me by not doing anything???? We came back to the room expecting ... something to be done .. and it's the one day they didn't :) sandals sends sale emails all the time offering deals .. I might go back if they made a good enough offer but it's doubtful we'd visit this resort.
the week before we arrived it rained all week and the island was flooded . that brought bugs ... I'd bring bug repellant. It would have really be awful to pay that cost and be inside all week as it pour. The sidewalks had been flooded so getting around was challenging. We were grateful it didn't rain on our vacation. The highlight of the trip besides enjoying the quiet pool and the ocean .. was an all day excursion .. its expensive but worth every penny. you swim with wild pigs and nurse sharks .. snorkel in a cave ect. it was the best day !

Weddingmoon @Sandals

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 8, 2014

We were just married at Sandals May 31st of this year. My wedding planner Shalize was excellent. I couldn't ask for better. She was kind and professional and looked out for the details that were important to me. It was raining just prior to the wedding and we were going to have to move from the beach to the gazebo but just as I stepped out to the grass to start the ceremony the rain stopped and she asked me if I still would prefer beach. Of course with my heart set on it I said yes and she had everyone move in a heartbeat and made things perfect.

The entire staff was so nice from David, the resort head/manager, to the servers and housekeeping and everyone in between. You couldn't ask for nicer. Were there a few that weren't as warm and openly nice? Sure but you get that everywhere. They weren't rude or nasty just not as warm and welcoming as the others. I noticed it was primarily the people that worked there that were from other places that were like that, not the people that were from the Family Islands. The resort itself was gorgeous! I fell in love with the landscaping and layout of the place. They keep it looking so beautiful.

There were also lizards, seagulls, mini-pigeons, stork/crane type birds, and even resort cats. I love that part. The resort cats live there and are well cared for by staff and guests alike and wander the grounds, making friends and no doubt keeping all possibility of rodents under control. (probably the lizard population too! LOL) I was impressed also to notice that most all the resort cats had the tipped left ear which denotes an altered (spayed or neutered) strays. So they are being responsible with letting the resident strays stay there.

As for libations...well you better be prepared. Nowhere on the island do they hold back on making drinks. As an American I was accustomed to the type of mixed drinks that were mostly mixer with a touch of alcohol. Well in the Exumas this is NOT the case. The drinks were strong!! They were not greedy with the alcohol at Sandals or anywhere else in the islands. :)

Getting back to the staff i want to say again I was impressed at how personable they are. They not only remember your faces but also your names. Karla (Carla?) was the concierge that showed us around the first day there and was just the sweetest.

Nearby Sandals Emerald Bay

• Spa
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Great Exuma Island Travel Forum

Need advice about Great Exuma Island, The Bahamas? Visit the Travel Forum for Great Exuma Island and ask our Answer Gurus.

Great Exuma Island Travel Guide