U. S. Virgin Islands Hotels

Our Members Say

• TwoCoconuts profile photo TwoCoconuts
  • Reviews: 18
Best Western Carib Beach: Pedestrain Best Western

We stayed at this hotel on Lindburg Bay, just a stones throw from the airport on St. Thomas, for two nights. It's about all you should expect, I suppose, for a fairly low price ($100/night) while being a stones throw from the water. It's about Motel 6 level quality, service at the hotel was below par for the Virgin Islands, and their "beach" is a sandbox, but for the price it's OK as a spot right at the airport (could easily walk - only a few hundred yards - never heard any planes, though).

Walk to the airport, close to the water, moderate price

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Beaches
  • Written March 1, 2003

• wldeaton profile photo wldeaton
  • Reviews: 3

Holiday Inn Winward Passage: A good mid-level choice

It's not everyone's first choice, and it is not a "beach" accommodation, but the Holiday Inn has some advantages:

--Price. I paid $100/night for a 3 star accommodation.
--Location. Across the street from the harbor, in a central location and near all the shopping.

• Related to: Family Travel
  • Written October 8, 2005

• Strayling profile photo Strayling
  • Reviews: 1

Cinnamon Bay: Baresite Camping

$27 a night based on 2 people occupancy. Nice, private areas built in a loop and between other types of campsites (tents and "cabins"). Nice COLD water showering facilities/bathrooms. Bathrooms have flush toilets and electricity. The restaurant was convenient, but pricey - dinners running 17-20 dollars a plate for nothing special. The taxi ride costs$7-9 dollars to get there from town (the ferry and all of the stores) and to most attractions on the island.

Gorgeous beach. Not ideal for snorkeling, but good for swimming and splashing around in. Close to Plantation ruins and several hiking trails. Watch out for the wild donkeys - don't feed them!

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: National/State Park, Budget Travel, Camping
  • Written July 17, 2007

• Rickphillys profile photo Rickphillys
  • Reviews: 3

Frenchman's Cove: Marriott Time Share in St. Thomas

Frenchman's Cove has only been open a few months, but my family of 11 stayed there in (2) three bed rooms units for a week. The whole family loved the location. It is located right next to the big marriott hotel and you are able to use all of the aminities of the marriott. Our whole family was able to use Charlotte Amilie as a home base and travel all around the Virgin Islands and come home to a high quality huge room in a great resort. We used the fully functional kitchen every day during or stay and save a lot of money.

The pool and whole resort had the best views of the harbor.

• Related to: Spa and Resort, Family Travel
  • Written July 29, 2007

• monica71 profile photo monica71
  • Reviews: 485
Danish Chalet Inn: Good place for a short stay

This is another good option for people who want to stay downtown or are in St Thomas for a short stay before moving on to other islands. Danish Chalet Inn is a nice B&B. It looked clean and well maintained from the outside.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written March 5, 2008

• ldilauro profile photo ldilauro
  • Reviews: 7

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Beachtops Condo - Rental from Private Owner: Cowpet Bay East - 3 BD / 3 BA Condo

Beachtops Condo (www.beachtops.com) - 3BD/3BA condo with oceanview and steps down to the Elysian Beach / Pool / Jacuzzi. My group loved the condo and would stay here again.

On other trips to St Thomas: I have stayed at Secret Harbour - Room 734 - Loved it ! (Sept 2005) I liked Secret Harbour's beach better than the Elysian Beach.

Holiday Inn Winward Passage (Oct 2005) - nice downtown location except for the seaplane landing / departures early in the morning.

Villa Blanca - Great View (Feb 2003).

Cabrita Condo (June 1997) - nice view, but no A/C.

We were a group of 3 women and we each enjoyed having our own bedroom and bathroom to ourselves. The condo also had 2 expansive balconies with a great view. The condo had everything we needed.

• Written June 12, 2006

View from the Beachtops Condo Balcony

• Courtney5882 profile photo Courtney5882
  • Reviews: 24

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Secret Harbour Beach Resort: St. Thomas' Best Resort

Our hotel was fabulous. It is on the small side, but gives you the feeling of seclusion and relaxation. Make sure you stay in one of the beach front suites. We had a master bedroom, bath, living room with 2 sleeper sofas, fully stocked kitchen, dinning room, balcony with table and lounge chairs.

The hotel has a pool on the hill overlooking the beach front suites and Nazareth Bay. Behind the pool on the hill is the oceanview suites. The beach is beautiful and has some of the best snorkeling right off the beach. There is a swim dock, scuba store, shopping boutique, bar, restaurant, and massage therapist. Everyone who works at the hotel is incredibly nice and they even have a manager's party every Tuesday, an oppurtunity not to be missed.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Family Travel, Diving and Snorkeling, Beaches
  • Written August 2, 2006

Kitchen in Hotel

• cobaltlite profile photo cobaltlite
  • Reviews: 11
I'd like to thank the friendly...

I'd like to thank the friendly and helpful staff of Sapphire Beach Resort for their top-notch service. We visited them from 3/11/01-3/17/01. I just couldn't wait to tell you how wonderful it was.

Their Seagrape Restaurant and their Steakhouse were wonderful. The fish was fresh and the steaks were juicy. The Desserts were tasty as well.

The rooms were wonderful and spacious. The cleaning staff was meticulous. The kitchen had everything that I could ever need except food, ofcourse. We went to Red Hook's Marina Market to buy food to cook and drinks.

The view from our room was so beautiful that we sat in our living room at night just looking out. We also made great use of our patio and Sapphire Beach. Sapphire also has events that you can take part in (live entertainment, Shop Talk, and an Orientation).

When it came time for us to go to Coral World, St. John, Charlotte Amalie and Mountaintop, we went to the Front Desk area to get a Cab. There were always cabs waiting to take us out because VI Taxi is based in Sapphire Beach. Normally the fares are posted.

I thoroughly enjoyed my vacation and I look forward to my return. Thanks Sapphire!!!!

Close to Red Hook Dock and great view of St. John

• Written August 25, 2002

• Super_Dave profile photo Super_Dave
  • Reviews: 4
We stayed in the Gallow's...

We stayed in the Gallow's Point condominiums overlooking St Thomas from the island of St John. They had everything you could ask for in these two story dwellings. All the modern conveniences are provided: fully furnished living quarters with a kitchen, refrigerator, microwave, dishes, cooking pots & pans, utensils, cable TV, phones, and fans.
There was even a six pack of Red Stripe waiting for us in the 'fridge.

As I described above, you have all the modern conveniences of home in a beautiful setting overlooking the Caribbean Ocean.

• Written August 26, 2002

• seaponics profile photo seaponics
  • Reviews: 7
We stayed in an open air room...

We stayed in an open air room that overlooked the sea and not another lodging. The accomodations were perfect: roomy, big bed, bathroom room in general and warm and inviting.

Rockefeller's 65' Henkley sailboat was there for excursions day or evening, wow. The day trip included snorkling (diving off the ship) and a delifully prepared meal. We sailed to St. John and Peter's Island, it was a blast.
Then, on another day, the hotel packed 2 baskets of food and wine and a motorboat took us to a deserted island and left us to our own devises, so, well use your imagination!

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written September 2, 2002

• Alfine5 profile photo Alfine5
  • Reviews: 28

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Frenchman's Reef and Morning Star Resort: Skip the Marriott Frenchman's Reef Resort

During our third trip to the Virgin Islands, we were planning to spent the first two days and last two days on St. Thomas. Since I was hoping to increase my Marriott rewards points, I thought that I would give the Marriott Frenchman's Reef Resort a try. This, unfortunately, turned out to be a not so pleasant stay.

On our arrival to the Marriott, we found that there was a conference being held and therefore, there was no parking available. I stayed in my car for over half an hour before I found some parking. This was definitely not the way I wanted to start my vacation.

At check-in, I was told that they did not have the room I had requested and for which I had received a confirmation. I was asked to wait in the lobby for the manager who came in after thirty minutes and quickly fixed the problem. For my trouble, he even upgraded me to a room overlooking the Morningstar Beach.

The room we were given was absolutely amazing. The view were gorgeous and the room was beautifully appointed. We made our way to the pool area and saw the greatest views of Charlotte Amalie. After some time at the pools, we made our way to Morningstar Beach through the beautiful trails from the hotel. The beach was absolutely perfect as well.

During the evening, we made our way to Rum Bar which is the hotel's signature bar. The views from its patio overlooking the lights of Charlotte Amalie and the crashing waves below made this the most perfect setting to end the night.

At the tail-end of our trip, we had planned to stay at the Marriott once again. We came to the hotel a bit early and were told that our room was being cleaned. We were asked to wait a few minutes. I went back to the reception desk after 30 minutes and was told the same thing. After an hour of waiting, I offered to pay a higher price to get any of the rooms they had available. At that point, I was told that one of the rooms was almost ready. Yet another half hour later, we were still waiting for our room to be ready even though we were past the check-in time of 4:00 PM. At this point, I asked them to cancel my reservation so that I could go elsewhere.

This hotel has its good and bad. The service is absolutely horrible but the rooms and amenities at the hotel are fantastic. If you do not mind waiting to find parking and getting a room, then, this may be a good mid-range hotel for your stay on St. Thomas. However, with my experience, I don't expect to ever come back.

Large pool with amazing views of Charlotte Amalie, beautifully appointed rooms

• Related to: Spa and Resort, Budget Travel
  • Written December 19, 2010

• Alfine5 profile photo Alfine5
  • Reviews: 28

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Estate Concordia Studios: A Place to Get Away

If you really want to get away from all the noise and hustle of the cities, the best place to stay on the east coast of St. John is Estate Concordia. Estate Concordia is a 20 minute drive south of Coral Bay. They have a variety of rooms from open air studios all the way up to loft duplex's which are the size of small apartments.

I have stayed at Estate Concordia several times and have always chosen the Loft Duplex. It comes with a full kitchen, dining table, sofabed, bedroom, and two full bathrooms. However, the best part of the duplex is its 180 degree views of Salt Pond Bay.

Estate Concordia has a limited number of rooms and therefore stays fairly quiet throughout the year. They enforce quiet time as well which I believe is after 11:00 PM. We can attest to that as we were yelled at by the manager when we became too rowdy late one night.

One of my favorite activities at night was to go up to the road where the cars are parked. There is a bench up there which is pretty much at the edge of a cliff. On a clear night, you can sit here and see more stars then you have ever seen in your lifetime.

Amazing views of Salt Pond Bay and the night sky.

• Written December 24, 2010