Sensatori Resort

SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

Beyond Wonderful

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 24, 2011

I spotted this hotel in a holiday brochure and researched it further online. In spite of some stinging reviews on another website, I knew this was the place for me and was delighted when the opportunity presented itself for me to spend a dreamy fortnight here.

We arrived at the hotel on a balmy 27 degree evening and were met with smiles and chilled glasses of bubbly. Checkin was swift and we were shown to our room in block 8. The hotel is very large by European standards, numbering 9 blocks in all.

Initially unimpressed by our view over a side road and down to the sea, I soon grew to realise that this was the perfect room for us. The hotel had obviously read my emails and chose a room close to everything for my disabled Mum. The room was large, exceptionally clean, sink-into beds, jet showers, a sunset facing balcony, efficient aircon - what more could you want? Well, whatever it is, I bet we had it!

I will do more detailed reviews on the seven gourmet restaurants at our disposal onsite each day. I don't know where they got their amazing chefs, but I'm pretty sure I spotted the executive chef, Christos Karagiannakos, as a guest chef on one of those TV chef programmes a few weeks ago.

There are six large pools and, at the time we were there, the temperature was bathwater warm. It's just as well that we had so many pools at our disposal as the heat ensured we spent more time in the pool than out.

The hotel has very cleverly divided the pools area of the property in two - all upper levels and pools are for family and child use, while the lower levels are for adult only enjoyment. We found this worked very effectively.

In addition to this near-perfect system, the hotel sports an array of rooms with private and semi-private pools. Most of the ground floor rooms are swim up, meaning that you have direct access from your room's decking to a semi private pool. In my opinion these are the choice rooms! Again, most of the rooftop rooms boast totally private pools.

Ditto with the restaurants at breakfast time - the Red Saffron is devoted solely to adult use and the Main Restaurant is for everyone. We enjoy the company of family and, although we had left ours at home, we ventured into the main restaurant most mornings.

Every night saw entertainment of some nature, varying over a 7 night period. By that I mean that the hotel entertainment staff put on shows several nights of a 7 day week. These are then repeated from week to week. Interspersed with this, acts are flown in from the UK two or three nights per week and these differ from week to week and night to night. They were top class! IN addition to this, a duo sang every night at the Boardwalk outside bar/show area and at the lobby bar. I didn't enjoy them - the female singer sounded the very same no matter what she screeched. It was one of the very few downsides of the trip.

The location is terrific - directly across the road from the miles long Lyttos beach.

The surrounding area is a quiet village but there are plenty of shops and tavernas to explore if you can bare to drag yourself away from the delightful surrounds of your hotel. Indeed, there are two supermarkets directly across the road from the hotel's main entrance and they compete with each other to offer the best bargains.

The hotel itself offers a very well stocked supermarket and an eye-catching upmarket jewelry store.

Add to that the spa that has been voted the second best in all of Europe and you have a recipe here for the perfect holiday.

Unique Quality: I would like to clarify that the hotel is owned by the Atlantica hotel group and is officially known as the "Atlantica Caldera Palace". The name "Sensatori" comes from the involvement of the UK company Thomson Holidays. That group arranged with Atlantica (and several other hotels across the world) to introduce a holiday concept called "Sensatori" to the hotel. Thomson flew in quite a number of their own staff to run that concept in situ. In fairness, much of what they do is wonderful but we did have problems with them on departure which had nothing to do with the hotel.

Add to your Trip Planner

• Fitness Center
  • Spa
  • Kids Activities

Crete Island Travel Forum

Need advice about Crete Island, Greece? Visit the Travel Forum for Crete Island and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Crete Island hotel reviews

Hiking/walking
Zorbas Taverna (Gouves)
Prima Plora (Rethymno)
Restaurants
The Cafenio Aksios (Chania)
Boat's