Marco Polo Hostel

See Amenities

Unlike Most Other Hostels

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 13, 2011

I arrived in the far outskirts of Budapest at 4:30 am. The metro started running at 5:00 am, and within the hour I had reached Marco Polo Hostel. Even though it was 6:00 am, the girl at the front desk allowed me to check in! I was immediately impressed and went straight to the room for a nap.

When I woke up I explored the hostel a bit more. It is made up of a series of single, double, triple and quad private rooms, as well as larger dormitories. This is great for groups of friends or couples traveling on a tight budget. My dorm room had about eight or ten bunk beds, but they were actually divided into mini rooms with walls separating the beds into little rooms and locking storage lockers making up the other wall. You could then pass through a small curtain to get to your bunk area. This was great for me as I liked the privacy, though it could be awkward if you were sharing a bunk with someone really weird and you were that enclosed. Our dorm had a bathroom with a few showers and toilets; the showers didn't drain well or have great water pressure, but they were sufficiently clean.

I definitely felt this hostel was lacking in community. Budapest would be a great place to explore with new friends, and the set-up of the hostel, with lots of private rooms and enclosed bunk beds, doesn't make for great socializing. There is a basement bar that seems to be open all the time, but it didn't look very busy. Additionally, after the initial kindness of the early check-in, I found the front desk staff quite rude. I'm always very unassuming and polite when requesting help with things like directions and activities, but the girls at the front desk were consistently hostile when speaking with me. Their website advertises the Budapest Card under their services, and there was a sign in the lobby for the Budapest Card, so I asked if I could buy it on-site. The girl almost laughed in my face and said, "Hotels don't sell cards. Go to tourist information." I asked where tourist information was, and she replied, "Octagon." I'd been in Budapest for all of six hours, most of which I'd spent sleeping... how was I supposed to know where Octagon was? Even better, the Octagon Tourist Info office turned out to be the only one that didn't have normal opening hours, so I was stuck waiting around until noon (as I had no idea where other tourist info offices could be found).

Return visitors to Budapest who are on a tight budget might like staying at Marco Polo, especially if they're with someone else. People who would like some friendly local advice, or who want to meet others, should probably look for another hostel.

Directions: About four blocks from Blaha Luzja ter Metro Station.

Budapest hostel

by written on November 24, 2009

I thought this place was OK.It is a good location and staff were very helpful.
I had to charge my cellphone in the bathroom which was a problem because I couldnt leave it there overnight.
Had to leave before the breakfast so I cant give opinion about that.
I would recommend it.

Unique Quality: Nothing unique I could see

konekoneko's Profile Photo

I wouldn't go back there... :(

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 8, 2008

The location and their facilities were quite good.

But I would never go there because the stuffs were so rude. :(
They were not interested in helping their guests
and my friend & I were quite annoyed.

Breakfast was better than nothing.
The bread was like a stone...

You can use Internet, but it was also expensive.
(Sorry, I don't remember exactly how much it was.)

We moved to another place because we didn't want to stay there for the rest of our stay.
Someone recommended another place (it was an apartment very closed to Opera House)
and it was a good choice.

Sorry, I wouldn't recommend this hostel to anybody...

pakistanibrain's Profile Photo

The place to stay if you are travelling as a group

by written on October 19, 2006

I spent a couple of weekends in Budapest with together with some friends and we stayed at this ideally located youth hostel in the center of the city.

The good thing about the Marco Polo Hostel is, that it's quite cheap despite its central location. The downside of course is that you have to share a room with 11 others, but if you are travelling as a group that's great fun anyway.

Unique Quality: Top location and cheap place to stay in a wonderful city

sirendica's Profile Photo

affordability with comfort

by written on March 23, 2006

i stayed here in July of 05. the cost was about 20 US dollars a night. Facility was okay, kind of overcrowded. The staff spoke english but were a little rude. I came back through Budapest on m y way back from Croatia and stayed at a place called Mellow Mood Central hostel.(don't be confused because the Mellow Mood company owns both ) But the one named Mellow Mood was much more accomodating.(couldn't tell you why) but the rooms had more space and there was a nice bar on the top floor. location was great too...and same price

Unique Quality: good view, great location, accomodating staff, very informative also

jeoren's Profile Photo

Marco Polo Hostel December 2005

by written on January 9, 2006

A rather big hostel with good facilities for prevention against robbery.

But the staff is not very kind to their guests..

The breakfast is bad; stone hard breads and fake-orangejuice are not the types of food you want to eat..

I would recommend another hostel..

DPando's Profile Photo

Need to Improve

by written on November 17, 2005

When we were arriving by train to Krakow a girl from tourist information go up to the train and give us and other people some information about the city, even maps. We was chatting about hostels and she offer some of them and we choose Marco polo hostel beacuse the spaniards that we met on the traib from Krakow to Auschwitz told us that was nice and the breakfast was excellent... it was a little bit more expensive than others but marco polo had the breakfast included...All about 18euros or 4500 forint (HUF)

so a van picked us up from keleti and after some traffic jams we got there....our first impresision was quite good ...we left back our rucksack and go steps down to the "bar-rest" to have breakfast although we havnt the chance to eat it cos we didnt sleep there that night...anyway...we took it !!! lol

There was a common lockers full of backpacks from leaving people or like us waiting for a room till 3 or 4 hours later
once there the room wasnt as we booked in advance...well in the train. it was a large common room 12 or more with a private locker and a curtain and a wall split the room in 6 bed bunches. The toilet was clean and two showers and two WC for all us .. it didnt like full but the next day we have to change our room,, so confusing and annoyed
Besides they told us that there was a kitchen...we bought everything (food) and when we checked it out...there wasnt pots, knifes, pans ..nothing !!!!!!! just 2 burners (elelctric) but it was so hard to do anything...

So i cant suggest it ..besides it was too expensive for that service and the best point was the breakfast....btw.. the internet in the hostel is quite expensive

Directions: Closer to Keleti.pu and the main avenue to get there is Rackoczi ..exactly 9th block walking from keleti..so 15 min

erdacoca's Profile Photo

The most expensive, probably!

by written on October 31, 2005

OK, if you take out all the inconvenients we had just arriving, it's a good hostel. However, it better make some improvements.

As a start, people working there gave us more trouble than really helped us. It says it has a kitchen, but it doesn't. So if you're in a budget and want to cook, forget about it. That really annoyed us!!

It does has a good thing, it's very near from most of the clubs to hang out, so you won't have to walk to much to go partying. That's probably why it is so expensive.

It has a good breakfast, none of the typical continental stuff, but it has hams, and cheeses, so it's pretty good, for what you usually get. A tip!! If you get there in the morning, check-in, leave you bags at the safe, and go to have breakfast. You're not supposed to, but they don't check who is eating.

Internet is very expensive, but there is an Internet place nearby much better and cheaper!!

Ritchie_Lionheart's Profile Photo

Modern and clean HOTEL and DORMS

by written on May 16, 2005

Budapest hotel prices are climbing: this place is among the cheapest in central Budapest. 10 mins walking distance from the pedestrian shopping area, the market hall, Deli pu. station etc. Clean, modern with "all basics" taken for granted in middle-class hotels. Go to the website for details.

call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

A five stars hostel

by written on February 23, 2005

I stayed in a quadruple room - and no one else was placed in it with me... I did not complain!

Unique Quality: Private bathroom, telephone AND television (with italian channels). It was a blast.

Directions: in the pest side

globetrott's Profile Photo

It is rather a hotel than a hostel

by written on February 5, 2005

Marco Polo Hostel is about 20 minutes to walk from the East train-station Budapest Keleti pu.
They have a lift and all rooms have private facilities and even a TV - (BUT do not expect a big variety of programs : I had 1 in hungarian and 2 commercial programs in Italian )

On the total this hotel was my best hotel in Budapest so far and prices are quite high in general in Budapest.

Unique Quality: The ONLY thing that reminded me of a hostel was the kind of breakfast with a terrible instant coffee and an orange-juice and cherry-juice made by syrup.
BUT :Jam, butter, bread, rolls, 4 sorts of sausages and cheeses, cereals and Milk were OK, and they had even a big variety of tea-bags that you could choose from.

Your room will be cleaned every day and you get fesh towels.
Hot water any time and on 4th floor I also was rather safe from the Karaoke-noises from their cellar-restaurant...
The price for a singleroom was 10800 hufl (40€uros), breakfast included.
NO Curfew, the reception is open 24 hours a day !!

The 2 Internet-points in the hall work with coins, but it only took my coins without connecting me to the internet - a fact that did not make the receptionist get the idea to give back my 100 hufl ( 0,35 Euros), she just said, that it is obviously out of order....
1 minute is 7 hufl = less than 2 Euros for 1 hour (when working at all)

Directions: From Budapest Keleti pu - station you walk around 20 minutes on Rakozi ut. As soon as you get o a yellow church on the left, you turn right for the hostel.

astro_kerryn's Profile Photo

Best Hostel Ive EVER been to

by written on February 3, 2005

This was the cleanest hostel I have EVER stayed in! Also the best layout for the dorms. You are in a room of about 15 but each bunk bed has its own little "room" divided by thin walls and ech "room" has its own lockers. Very private, except when you are sharing with Australian or American guys who bring home girls....................................then its no so good for anyone!!!!!! Depending on which was you look at it though. The kooky bar/breakfast cafe/restaurant/nightclub all in one, downstairs, is very odd, but fun. They have a gothic night where little gothed up Hungarians come to play, strangely enough wearing hello kitty backpacks and dancing to Kylie Minogue!!!!! For some reason it seemed right for the environment!!

Unique Quality: Very clean, helpful staff, great hostel and very close to everything.

MedioLatino's Profile Photo

In the center, for reasonable prices

by written on September 21, 2004

Some of my friends where staying there and all of them liked it. For the price you pay, you get very decent service, the transportation is excellent and you will be between walking distance of most of the main landmarks.

And by the way you will be in the middle of the Budapest nightlife scene as well! :)

Unique Quality: See above! :)
And check their homepage as well!

Prices range from 15EUR to 60EUR (top in high season. Average price is around 20 EUR.

Directions: The place is near Blaha Lujza ter, easily accesible with the M2 underground, with the tram no. 4 and 6 and also with buses like no 7, 173...

biggeorge's Profile Photo

Bunkbed fun for adults

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 17, 2004

We only went here because their rep gave us a lift from Keleti station. Probably the best equipped hostel you could wish for with hotel or dorm rooms and a bar downstairs.
The dorms have bunks divided off from each other by a curtain which gives the illusion of privacy and a toilet/ shower room.
These can be a little strange as the taller customers head may be above the level of the shower curtain and as these are mixed facilities it is important to keep the " urinal stare " fixed on the wall to avoid peeking at the girl who may be showering next to you , it's a real battle of wills.
Its also an idea to remember that you're sharing a room with 20 or so other people who get really snotty when you turn up laced at 5 in the morning and smelling of booze.

Other social faux pas would have to include loudly accusing your friend on the bunk below of masturbating or falling asleep on the one toilet with a working light.
Ben managed to achieve the second one and Dave was confronted by the German occupant of his bottom bunk because his trousers smelt of cigarettes.
The pool table in the bar also doesn't work properly randomly swallowing the white and only spitting out half the balls.
Breakfast is included but going to sleep before you have it ,is to be recommended as rolling in at sunrise means you earn the contempt of those who like to eat beans and write their journals for entertainment.

Unique Quality: The pool table that refuses to cough up a mistakenly potted white ball. Or the whiteboard for leaving messages for fellow travellers ( much abused ) , " we'll be in Portside " became " we'll be in Portside drinking shandy and holding hands " along with a variety of anatomical drawings of male and female genitalia , worst thing was everyone thought it was us , but it was blatantly a couple of guys from Salisbury who were even worse than us.

deeper_blue's Profile Photo

Well located spacious hostel

by written on February 4, 2004

Marco Polo is a well located hostel with 24 hr reception, internet access, restaurant and a disco next door. Its a good place to meet fellow tourists.

Nearby Marco Polo Hostel

• Pets Allowed
  • Shuttle Service
  • Bar / Lounge

Budapest Travel Forum

Need advice about Budapest, Hungary? Visit the Travel Forum for Budapest and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Budapest hotel reviews

Boscolo Budapest, Autograph Collection
Excellent (4.5 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews
InterContinental Budapest
Excellent (4.5 out of 5.0) 12 Reviews
Budapest Apartment 4 (Locust Tree Apartments)
Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews