VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Hotel Cabin

Tags

Seniors Singles Whale Watching
See Amenities
bip_231's Profile Photo

Great hotel for the price, location excellent!

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 17, 2009

We booked the Hotel Cabin for our 5 night stay in Iceland, and we were not disappointed. Although the rooms are small, the price that you pay and the location of the hotel make it all worth it. We were given a twin room on the 4th floor, so the views were great. The bathroom is a bit on the small side (not much room to swing a cat!) but again, who goes on a break/holiday to spend all their time in the hotel room?

The location of the hotel is excellent. There are bus stops located right outside the hotel if you'd prefer to take the bus, but the hotel is only about a 10-15 minute walk from the city centre; one of the ways you can walk into town is along the waterfront, which offers fantastic views across the bay. The large shopping centre (Kringlan) is not too far away either, meaning that there are plenty of amenties nearby.

Food at the hotel was good, although I'd recommend that you give the evening buffet (not included in hotel stay) a miss. I think it was about 1750ISK per person, but there was not an awful lot to choose from except soup and salad. Breakfast was good though, with a good choice.

The staff in the hotel were always friendly and pleasant, and couldn't help enough if we needed some information about the local area. We'd stay again in the Hotel Cabin, and we certainly weren't put off by the small rooms!

Unique Quality: Great views, and excellent location.

aqazi's Profile Photo

Not bad for the Kroner

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 9, 2009

So I orginally booked two nights here but was sent over to the Bjork Hotel for the first night becasue they were overbooked. The lady at the reception was really nice about it all and there was no pressure to move. She even upgraded my room to the the superior room and gave me a free dinner when I returned for my second nights stay 2 days later. The Superior room was fine, it had a TV and some soaps etc in the bathroom. These rooms are apparently larger than the regular ones so I'm not sure what they are like but I imagine they might be a bit cloustrphobic for larger people. At 29 euros this hotel for two people is probably the same price as a youth hostel. You also get free breakfast and free parking. Its about a 20mins walk into town but its a nice walk during the day along the habour. There's a subway opposite and a supermarket 100m away so finding food is easy if you don't want to walk into town. The Dinners and BReakfast were OK but nothing special. If you're on a budget they probably make sense but if you're a picky eater they only have a single choie of hot entre.

All in all I would stay here again, I thought it was great value for money in a city where they price tags bares no relation to the item you are buying. Oh, also if you a budget type traveller, remember to stock up on booze at the duty free store as you exit the airport!

Inexpensive and simple

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 30, 2009

I stayed in the hotel for 4 nights during a stopover. The staff were quite helpful and aided me in getting a reservation with Grey Lines. The breakfast was a relatively simple buffet, but was filling and came with the price of the room.

My room was quite small, two twin beds with maybe 2 feet between the beds. Very little space to store more than a basic suitcase or two. In order to move around easily, I place my suitcase on the other bed.

I had an interior room, which can be beneficial during the long hours of daylight during the summer, however, I was surprised to see that the back wall consisted of a large window facing the other hallway. In order to maintain privacy, I couldn't leave the curtain open.

The bathroom was also small and included an enclosed shower. Plenty of hot water was available.

The room was clean and for a basic place to stay it suited my purpose.

If you plan to stay in your hotel for extended period of times, the small size of the rooms would probably not be suitable.

Unique Quality: You can get some nice views of the bay if you have an outside room facing the front of the hotel. The rear view isn't really that great. Also, I could go down the hall to the staircase outside and get some great views.

A small convience store/subway/ice cream shop was located just across the street. Very useful for picking up soda and small snacks or a quick lunch.

The hotel is about a kilometer (and probably even closer) to the bay.

Hótel Cabin

by written on August 22, 2008

This hotel is good and nice, but I had a "strange" experience. When I arrived in Reykjavík (I had booked the hotel in advance), they gave me a good and spacious room. After visiting the island, I came back to the same hotel (I also had the reservation), but on that occasion they gave me a tiny and narrow, very narrow room, like the cabin of a boat. So, I have good and bad opinions about the rooms; in any case, clean hotel with a spacious lobby.

Unique Quality: Price I really paid: Twin room, B&B: 10.200 ISK (August '08); the hotel has a free parking in the complex.

- 1 ISK = 0,008251 €
- 1 ISK = 0,01213 $

Directions: It's not in the centre of the city, but it's a nice walk of about 20-25 minutes along the waterfront where you can find some attractions such as the Sun Voyager (Viking ship) and Höfði (have a look at the Things to Do section).

Nearby Hotel Cabin

• Business Services
  • Continental Breakfast
  • Bar / Lounge

Reykjavík Travel Forum

Need advice about Reykjavík, Iceland? Visit the Travel Forum for Reykjavík and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Reykjavík hotel reviews

Bike Pathways
Svarta Kaffid
Fantastic Soup In Bread
Restaurants
Stop Four - Thingvellir National Park.
Nautholsvik Thermal Beach.
Laekjargata
The Old Town Continued.
The Old Town
Things to Do
Interesting Sculpture And House.
The Harpa Building
Lake And Park Reflecting Old Part Of Downtown
Outdoor Dining And View Of The Water
Promotional Tourist Name To Walkway
Things to Do
Did Someone Loose Their Silverware?
The Sun Voyager Sculpture
National Museum of Iceland
Daytrip to Greenland
Lobster street food
Restaurants
Hallgrímskirkja - church - Reykjavík's landmark.
Things to Do
Archaeological dig in the old part of town.