Clayton Hotel Ballsbridge

SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

Far From Budget !!

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 18, 2013

I booked this hotel, part of a budget chain, for a relatively inexpensive weekend night in Dublin. Where most of the others were charging in excess of two hundred euro for the Friday night, we paid just €129 for bed and breakfast. This was a good start.

For many years I always stayed across the road at the Four Seasons, but the Irish recession has put it out of reach for now. I like staying in this part of Dublin as it is very upmarket with excellent restaurants and bars plus very close to the City Centre. For these reasons I decided to try Bewleys.

I was impressed from the start, and indeed it is hard not to be. The building itself, completed in 1882, was once a masonic school and has retained all of its original features and character.

On checking in I was further flattered and impressed to find that we had been given a free room upgrade. Our very comfortable and spacious room was on the fifth floor. We had a double bed plus a single and all the amenities one could wish for. Décor was warm and welcoming, with lots of wood which complemented the history of the hotel. There were extra fluffy white towels in one of the drawers plus extra pillows in zip cases in the wardrobe. Plenty of coathangers were provided for clothes and there was no lack of storage space. The heating was controlled from the radiator and with the Irish climate I found this more effective than air conditioning. There was an iron, a trouser press, and tea & coffee making facilities with plenty of little packets of both. The TV had plenty of channels. The beds were extremely comfortable and I found myself sleeping in late, which I seldom do!

I met friends in the very comfortable bar where service was quick and attentive.

The following morning we enjoyed a very substantial and tasty breakfast in the restaurant. I noted that there was a well furnished covered outdoor eating area also. This would be of great attraction to smokers.

Checkin and checkout were painless with no queues.

Parking was charged extra at ten euro for the overnight. With parking at a premium in the Capital I didn't mind this.

Unique Quality: Excellent and efficient service at mid range prices. Great budget deals are also available here.
They also offer excellent family packages and welcome children.

Directions: In the Embassy district beside the RDS showgrounds.

sourbugger's Profile Photo

Right Jenkins, Junior - report to me !

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 30, 2011

Bewleys hotel has been created out of what was once a masonic school. It doesn't matter how many flowerbeds, urns and other clutter you add to the outside - it still is unmistakenably a school building. The red brick speaks for solidity, industry and other such stern values.

The conversion, I would say, is certainly a success. Although the vast majority of the building was simply gutted in order to create the bedrooms. At least the main hall was tastefully resored. Normally reserved for conferences, it is worth asking to have a quick look - they won't mind.

The public areas (bar and restaurant) have been placed underground, which is a bit of a pity. One area features a coffee lounge with ' Bewleys coffee', unlike many hotels this place delivers on the caffeine front as Bewleys is primarily a coffee company with a selection of outlets in central Dublin.

Unique Quality: The quality is at the upper end of three-star, and if you can get a deal (50 euro a room in winter is not uncommon). No pools or special features. Any deal with the restaurant involved maybe worth it - we partook of a easter deal that included evening dinner. Nothing out-of-this world, but it was certainly well cooked and presented. Good portion sizes too. Breakfast was OK, but a bit buffetish for my taste. I'm paying enough for this, why should I have to put it on my plate myself ?

tkotravel's Profile Photo

A Great Dublin Hotel Option

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 19, 2006

I've stayed here at Bewley's three times - twice on business and once on pleasure. I discovered the hotel when I had business in Dublin including a meeting with the Royal Dublin Society which is right next door. The hotel is an old women's school I believe and the building itself is beautiful from the outside.

The best thing is that it is a flat rate hotel (American style) - last I stayed it was 99 euro a night. Then add in the fact that the DART rail line is a block away and gets you to city center in no time and its a great place to stay. There is parking on site with a slight fee. Some great places to eat in the area and is blocks away from the US Embassy.

Unique Quality: Close to DART
Parking
Beautiful Building
Free internet in the lobby

Directions: Near RDS and American Embassy

• Suites
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Airport Transportation

Dublin Travel Forum

Need advice about Dublin, Ireland? Visit the Travel Forum for Dublin and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Dublin hotel reviews