VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

M & J Place Hostel

Backpacking Study Abroad Budget Travel
See Amenities

Romes WORST hostel

by written on February 25, 2012

i had heard only HORRIBLE things about M&J (including recent bed bugs), but i had already reserved a room. i was able to find an even better room at a much better price elsewhere, so i was going to cancel my reservation at M&J. when i got there, the once friendly staff turned extremely rude. the manager yelled at me, a young girl traveling alone, and even referred to himself as a "bad manager". the rest of his staff looked embarrassed and ashamed to even be associated with him and the hostel. i have never been treated so poorly by someone in my entire life and will continue to spread the word of how miserable it is

Horrible from day one!

by written on May 31, 2010

I stayed there last year and on the first day I got my camera stolen from my bag from the luggage room. We arrived earlier than the check-in time and the staff told us we can leave our luggage in the luggage room. When I went to get my rucsac, I found that my camera was missing. I went at the reception, but the girl there said I'd lost it somewhere, said it's my fault (my fault was listening to them about the luggage room) and started raising her voice at me to drive me away. I said I want to see the manager/owner, Mario I think was he's name, but he didn't show his face around there for the rest of my stay. I dunno who took my camera but I was seriously annoyed with their rotten attitude towards their own guests. I was so angry, I wanted to leave but I was with many friends and we had already paid.
If you go there, don't leave anything in the luggage room! Later in my stay there, I discovered that the door didn't even close even after you locked it with the key! Their maintenance of the place sucked!
The staff is rude and the conditions are accordingly to the price you pay. Dont stay there!

dmirebella's Profile Photo

Crappy Hostel - try not to stay here!!

by written on November 5, 2005

Ok - this is the deal. I booked to stay at this place in August and my stay was in October. Anyways - 1 week before my departure to Europe, I get this email from the 'friendly' staff at M&J stating that since my arrival is after 6pm - they cannot take my booking. To make things worse - they would NOT refund my deposit and it was my fault that I did not read the terms and conditions!

Now - mind you the terms states on the website that arrival time was up to 10pm and I have the email as prove even. Being a customer, I was obviously irrate but the all further correspondences from the staff members at M&J were rude and obnoxious .

Hence, I am putting up this posting to all potential M&J Place Hostel ppl to NOT stay at this place.

Snowzy's Profile Photo

A Love-hate Affair

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 6, 2005

I don't really like this hostel. Very inefficient especially when checking in. Very crowded and small kitchen. Flimsy beds and very noisy because it is near the main road.

Unique Quality: Save by its nice Italian breakfast at the cafe downstairs (a cup of hot brevarage and nice bread), free internet service (they have 3 internet-ready computers) and located near the train station (Roma Termini).

Directions: Exit from Roma Termini at Via Marsala. 2 mins walk.

Dutch1980's Profile Photo

Good centred Hostel

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 1, 2004

Our stay was really good, we had a quad room with shower so we had a little bit of luxury.
The staff was friendly and it really close to the train station and the subway's.

I would really recommand this Hostel to you.

Unique Quality: There is a common room were you can meet people, we met some swedisch girls so we were very lucky :o)
The common room closes at night but the Hostel has no curfew.
There is also a kitchen were you can cook your own meal if you want. But I like the Italian restaurants more :p

I was there before the Euro ;o) so I don't know what the price will be at the moment.

• Breakfast Included

chicabonita's Profile Photo

Youth hostel

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 26, 2004

I made the reservation on www.hostelworld.com which worked pretty good.

We had a six bed dorm with an ensuite bathroom. The rooms and bathroom were cleaned everyday.

Unique Quality: Bed lines and breakfast included.

Breakfast consisted of a fruit juice, a croissant and a yoghourt.

Directions: not far from Termini Station

anzzz's Profile Photo

Hostel close to Termini

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 12, 2004

We stayed at M&J in February which is supposed to be one of the most quiet travelling months in Rome but the hostel was packed. We were lucky to get beds without a reservation.

One of the good sides of this hostel is its location right next to the Temini station. It's easy to walk or take a bus/metro to the major sights from there. It was also nice that breakfast was included (juice, a croissant and a yoghurt) but I would have really appreciated some tea or coffee!

The staff was friendly and the hostel was relatively clean if not entirely spotless.

The room we stayed at was for 10 people with bunk beds; I suppose all of the rooms are pretty much the same size. As it's always in big dormitories, there's some noise and people coming and going and snoring... this didn't disturb my sleep though. The beds were rather comfy.

Unique Quality: There were 3 (quite slow) computers with internet connections that could be used for free. Also they have a kitchen where you can cook your own meals and a tv room for socialising.

Despite all the facilities provided, most of the time it was quite impossible to take advantage of them. The computers were always in use and there was a line of people waiting. The kitchen was a mess, 20 people truing to cook at the same time.

Directions: Just next to the Termini station

• Pets Allowed
  • Free High Speed Internet
  • Kitchenette

Rome Travel Forum

Need advice about Rome, Italy? Visit the Travel Forum for Rome and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Rome hotel reviews