Alla Funicolare B&B

suvanki's Profile Photo

Authentic Residential Hostel!

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 8, 2008

I booked my 2 nights accommodation here through Hostelbookers.com.

A single room with shared bathroom for 80 Euros (£64).

I'd booked it for its' location - near the funicular railway that goes up to Bergamo Alta - the Upper (old) town, for its price, and due to its good reviews.

Alighting from the airport bus at the Funicular stop, I spent quite a while looking for this place, walking up and down Via Locatelli. It's easy to miss as there isn't a sign outside.

Walking back up the hill I spotted a lady standing on the pavement watching me - She was the mother of the owner- Lorenzo. (Returning to work after my break, I found an e-mail from Lorenzo giving precise instructions on how to find the hostel)

Soon I was checked in, my room (Room 2 ) was comfortable - 3 single beds, plenty of wardrobe space and a balcony overlooking the street below- with views to the Old town above.

Next to my room was a WC and wash basin, and across the corridor a spacious bathroom with a whirlpool bath and shower attachment, a walk in shower, WC, bidet and basin. Towels provided.

I think that there were only another 3 rooms - 2 were occupied by a friendly family group. On my 2nd night, I had the whole place to myself.

No breakfast - but there are plenty of cafes nearby on Via Locatelli. I tended to head up to Old Bergamo and enjoy a pastry and coffee there.

Again, in the evening, there were plenty of restaurants nearby, though being November, some closed early.

The cafe/ bar at the bottom funicular station opened later than most

Unique Quality: I enjoyed my stay here-an experience of 'Real Bergamo' It is a family run place with plenty of character-also handy for exploring both the old and new parts of Bergamo.

The airport bus stops nearby, and you just have to cross the road to the funicular, that takes you to the old town of Bergamo.

Recommended!

Directions: Airport Bus route 1 Funicolare stop (sit on the left of the bus and you'll see the funicolare) Turn L. walk down L. side of Ave Locatelli. After 1st balcony you'll see No. 75!

Add to your Trip Planner
shibay1's Profile Photo

Practical and very affordable guest house

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 29, 2008

They call themselves B&B but Breakfast is not included in the price. It was only 45 euro per night for a double-bed. The host wasn't always available but I got everything I needed. If the room is facing the street, it is a bit noisy since many cars go by, although the street isn't that busy.

The facility is very clean.

Unique Quality: The location is really convenient since the bus 1 goes to the train station and the airport. Funicular that goes up to the old town is only 40 meters away!

Add to your Trip Planner

Nearby Alla Funicolare B&B

4 Photos of Alla Funicolare B&B

View Professional Photos

Bergamo Travel Forum

Need advice about Bergamo, Italy? Visit the Travel Forum for Bergamo and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Bergamo hotel reviews