Bauer Hotel Venice

Tags

Luxury Travel Romantic Travel and Honeymoons Cruise
See Amenities
av101773's Profile Photo

Birthday weekend stay at the Bauer

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 18, 2016

I had booked the Bauer as it was my wife's birthday in April 2016 and I was a little apprehensive about our stay at the Bauer as I had read some worrying reviews of the Bauer Casa Nova (hotel annex around the corner), but fortunately we had a room in the main part of the hotel. We didn't have a great view as we were towards the back, but we could just see the top of the bell tower in Saint Mark's Square. No real problem.
The 3rd floor room was very nice and comfortable with fabric lined walls and antique-style furniture and a marble bathroom. Complimentary wifi in the room worked well and there was a small safe for storing your valuables/passports/etc. The windows had electronically operated blackout shutters which cut out the morning light completely. We had an adjoining door (locked, of course) to the next room, in the closet area. Unfortunately this door was not sound proofed and we could clearly hear people talking and opening/closing their closet doors. But closing the door between the closet area and the bedroom helped get rid of any sound leaking through.
On my wife's birthday we were pleasantly surprised on our return to our room after a morning out, to find a chilled bottle of prosecco and two glasses left by the staff after they had probably seen the birthday cards I had given to my wife that morning. This was totally unprompted and unexpected and a very nice surprise.
We met the manager Stefano, and thanked him and his staff for the prosecco and the wonderful treatment we received at the hotel throughout our stay. The concierge staff were all very friendly and couldn't do enough for us. Stefano even arranged for tea and coffe to be delivered to our room on our departure day as we were leaving very early (4.45am) for the airport and he even offered to pack a breakfast box for our journey. Very considerate and thoughtful.
A buffet breakfast was included in our stay and there was a good selection from eggs, bacon, sausage, fresh fruit to cereals to croissants and bread for toasting and it was nice to start the morning with a glass of prosecco which was also available alongside a variety of juices. Tea and (excellent) coffee was served to the table. I would recommend the breakfast room closest to the Grand Canal as it is bright and airy and has a great view if you get a window table. The other breakfast areas felt a little 'removed' near the bar area with the second breakfast room, in the middle of the hotel, adequate but looking a bit dull as it has no natural light.
The best thing about this hotel is it's location, just two minutes walk from St Mark's Square/Doge's Palace and close to the water transport stops. High-end stores are also very close by along with a multitude of restaurants and bars.
If you are a guest at the Bauer and you want to get away from the crowds and the hustle and bustle of tourists, the Bauer has a sister hotel (the Bauer Paladio) across the St Marks basin on the island of Giudecca, accessible by the hotel's complimentary water taxi shuttle. The hotel has a nice garden and is VERY peaceful and quiet. In fact the whole of this island seems to be almost free of tourists.
On the whole the Bauer is a very nice hotel and it's decor and rooms compliment the historic city well and I wouldn't want it to be totally modernised with contemporary furnishings and fittings although the designer furniture in the foyer fits it's surroundings very well.
The only thing we would have liked in the room would have been tea/coffee making facilities, but this is probably not traditional in Venice hotels, unlike hotels in the UK or America I guess. It was also not possible to borrow an iron/ironing board as you usually can in UK hotels, but clothes ironing was offered as a chargeable service.
I booked the hotel as part of a flight and hotel package through British Airways and, if it is within your budget, I would highly recommend the Bauer Hotel.

Magnifico

by written on July 21, 2009

What a beautiful and exquisite hotel. Winter is a wonderful time to visit Venice and not be bothered by the hoards of people. From Reception Staff to Houskeeping, was First Class. The staff at the Bauer shows attention to detail and no request was too much for them. If you have the opportunity to stay at a Five Star Deluxe Hotel, choose the Bauer. You won't be dissapointed.

Unique Quality: We had a suite that faced the Grand Canal. Old World Charm with a fantastic view.

Total ripoff

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 1, 2008

Expected a first class luxury hotel when we arrived in August 2008. What a letdown. Considering a cost of over $450 a nite, it was a real disappointment. The grand topper was that after we checked in at about 3 PM, we went to have a drink at the bar. We paid a world record tab..................ONE gin and tonic was 23.o Euro AND one Coca Cola was 8.0 Euro!!!!!
The room, which was supposedly upgraded (it was not), was absolutely crap!!!! Would recommend you save your money and stay at any number of alternate hotels that don't claim to be 5 star, as the Bauer does. The experience was so bad that I would never go to Venice again.

Unique Quality: On the Grand Canal. Big deal.

Directions: St Marks Sq area

fil83's Profile Photo

One of Venice's finest!

by written on August 23, 2007

I absolultely loved my stay in the Bauer Hotel, fantastic location about 150m from St. Marks Square. Close to local amenities, and great views from the hotel room. The decor was perfect, very sophesticated. The service was very good, everyone was very friendly, if I find myself back in venice will definitely consider staying here again!

Unique Quality: Great views, friendly, good customer service and romantic!

iaint's Profile Photo

stylish?

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 16, 2007

Mixed feelings. Looks expensive and "classy" but feels too formal.

My single room was just a big cupboard. Well furnished, but small.

Of course location is tops - San Marco round the corner etc. And its great to get your own water taxi to/from the airport, right from the hotel jetty!

Unique Quality: Location. Style (whether its your style or not!).

Directions: up a canal somewhere

Add to your Trip Planner

Amazing hotel with a great location

by written on February 3, 2007

We went in January as a group of 39 with my college. Our hotels were pre-selected but I have to say that this was one of the nicest hotels we stayed in while we were in Italy. The rooms are beautiful and the beds are so comfy that you dont want to get up in the morning. Not to mention the great breakfast (although pricey) and views. We were directly over the canal and you could look down at the gondoliers and then out over the streets of venice. Lovely and accomodating.

Unique Quality: great views, great breakfast, great bedding

excellent location, great service

by written on May 15, 2006

My wife and I splurged at stayed at the Bauer April 21-26...it was excellent..the front desk staff was helpful, the location perfect, and the room comfortable and good sized for Europe and very quiet...

all in all a five star experience

Unique Quality: the terrace for breakfast and aperitif time was fantastic, right on the Grand Canal with a view of San Salute

Excellent hotel, great location

by written on May 10, 2006

My wife and I stayed 5 nights the end of April 2006 and loved this hotel. It was a splurge for us but the facilities, the service and the location were excellent. The dining terrace for breakfast and aperitif time overllooking the Grand Canal and across from San Salute was magical.

Concierge and front desk both efficient and helpful. The room was a good size for Venice and very quiet (not a canal view room)

Directions: near San Marco

wolf66's Profile Photo

Living in San Marco

by written on September 1, 2002

In the center of the town at the channels.
It has an old and a new wing,rooms with or
without channelview.May be there are even nicer and cheaper hotels in town,but
it`s very very difficult to get a room in town at carneval.You have to book one year or more in advance.So I had the luck to get a wonderful and very expensive room four weeks before carneval.

Unique Quality: It`s a must to live in San Marco during carneval days.The best is when the people
with accomodation on mainland have gone.In the night you feel the magic of
old venice.

• Free High Speed Internet
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Venice Travel Forum

Need advice about Venice, Italy? Visit the Travel Forum for Venice and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Venice hotel reviews

Carnival Time
Murano Island
Traghetto
Transportation
By train (Santa Lucia station)
Transportation
Walking (incl. city maps)
Food, wine and sweets
Campos
Scala Contarini del Bovolo
Burano Lace
Churches
Water Taxi - Private Boats
Transportation
Street Sellers (fake products)
Isola Burano
Winged lions
Carnival
Pigeons
Tourist Traps
Canal Grande, Palazzi (Grand Canal/Palazzi)
Bridges