Doni

chellibean's Profile Photo

Amazing Location

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 19, 2009

I had an interior room overlooking a courtyard. Because I was on a major budget crunch, I had a room that shared a bathroom, but had a private sink. I know there are en suite rooms that are larger than the tiny one I had, but it was fine for my needs at the time.

The hotel staff was very accomodating in dealing with problems that I had with my bank. The breakfast was basic, cereal, but enough to get me on my way if I chose to eat it.

However, the best thing about this hotel without a doubt is the location. It is a quick walk to San Marco and all that is surround the piazza. It was also very easy to find in a city that can be very confusing with all of it's curving streets.

nichole_521's Profile Photo

Central, Clean, Friendly

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 5, 2007

Albergo Doni is a very central hotel, about five minutes by foot, from San Marco square. The staff is helpful and kind. The rooms are clean. It is a very old building, very old. There is the option for private baths or shared baths. Breakfast is served in the morning. If I visited Venice again, I would stay here ago.

Unique Quality: High ceilings that are beautifully painted. Located on a small canal.

Directions: Very easy to find. From train station you take boat number 51 in the direction of S.Zaccaria. Get off on S.Zaccaria boat station, cross the bridge on your right. Take the first street on the left called Calle del Vin. The boat is six euro a person.

Friendly and central

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 16, 2007

Doni is a family run hotel very close to Plaza San Marco. In an old Venetian building with countless pictures of Venice over the (seemingly original,) wall paper it has kept the feel of being in a family home.
I had a room with sink and bidet, but no on suite, but the bathroom down the corridor was clean (if basic), and I never had to wait to use it so I think maybe everyone else had their own,( or wasn't washing much!) The bed was very good, but the walls are a little thin so I wouldn't book it for a honeymoon unless you really want the world to know it!

But the big plus here is the staff, the man on reception was extremely helpful. He spent time with me, (unasked) working out the timing and which boats to catch, to get to the airport on time. They were always friendly, provided maps and advice and I would recommend it to anyone who is doing a budget Italian trip.

Unique Quality: Really friendly and helpful staff! Very close to Saint Marc's Square, (5 min walk.)

Directions: Castello Ovest. Near Saint Marc Square. Get off at the Zaccaria boat stop, Number 52 Vaporretto from the bus station.

Marpessa's Profile Photo

Reasonable Accommodation

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 12, 2005

Well my single room here was very small, seemed like an afterthought that they would turn it into a room. But it had a comfortable bed, desk, a sink and a window facing a courtyard. It was basic, but it was really all I needed. I had a peek into the double rooms and they were much larger, they were very big. My room did not have en-suite and the bathroom was 2 floors down. There is no air-conditioning, but there is an overhead fan in the room.

Breakfast is fairly average, just cereal, coffee/tea and some bread rolls. But if you're hungry it does the trick (and is included in the price of your room).

The location was great, only one minute from Piazza S. Marco ( and for the price it wasn't bad). Plus the people who worked there were very nice (I had to get up at 5.30am on the day I left to catch a waterbus to the train station - and one of the ladies there helped me figure out which time would be best for me to catch a waterbus, and other times as well - incase I missed the first one).

Directions: Get off at Riva Schiavoni (waterbus stop - S. Zaccaria), walk up Calle Del Vin and follow it around until you come to Hotel Doni - which faces a canal.

sue_stone's Profile Photo

Cheap but central

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 16, 2004

This is a fairly basic one star hotel close to San Marco.

It is a friendly, family run place, spread over 3 or 4 stories in a narrow building located next to a small canal.

It was nothing fancy, but had a great feel about it - we really enjoyed our stay here

Be warned - there are steep stairs up to all the rooms...

Unique Quality: Our roomed looked out onto the small canal which was great!

In a really convenient location, only a few minutes walk from Piazza San Marco.

Directions: From the S.Lucia railstation, take the Vaporetto no.51, direction S.Zaccaria.
Get off on S.Zaccaria boat station and cross the bridge on your right.
Then take the first street on the left called Calle del Vin.

Nearby Doni

Doni

• Albergo Doni Venice
  • Albergo Doni Hotel Venice

Address: Castello - San Zaccaria, 4656, Fondamenta del Vin, Venice, Veneto, 30122, Italy

6 Photos of Doni

View Professional Photos

Venice Travel Forum

Need advice about Venice, Italy? Visit the Travel Forum for Venice and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Venice hotel reviews

Campanile di San Marco
Carnival Time
Murano Island
Things to Do
By train (Santa Lucia station)
Gondola
Transportation
Walking (incl. city maps)
Campos
Food, wine and sweets
Scala Contarini del Bovolo
Burano Lace
Water Taxi - Private Boats
Churches
Off The Beaten Path
Street Sellers (fake products)
Isola Burano
Carnival
Ai Sportivi
Pigeons
Tourist Traps
Canal Grande, Palazzi (Grand Canal/Palazzi)
Bridges