Venice Hotels

Our Members Say

• deilex profile photo deilex
Appartamenti Grimaldi: Bad Risk

Grimaldi Apartments... do not touch them even with a ten foot pole.

I booked an apartment with Grimaldi Apartments in Venice for July of this year through the Booking.com website. Prior to booking I was put in touch with a Grimaldi rep who was fast to reply and nothing but helpful in an exchange of several e-mails.

Once my credit card was charged by Booking.com for the full cost of the apartment, however, all replies from Grimaldi to my e-mail suddenly stopped. To test my suspicions I had a friend inquire via several e-mails from a different address about available apartments… all of which received prompt replies. There was no mistake in any e-mail address and I am convinced that my latter correspondence to Grimaldi Apartments was willfully ignored.

I then checked the internet for independent reviews of Grimaldi Apartments and found no less than five separate clients who told identical stories of how, after arriving in Venice, their contacts were nowhere to be found and could not be reached by phone. In all cases the clients were left to fend for themselves with no access to the apartments for which they had paid.

All this apparent neglect added up to unacceptable risk in my opinion so I cancelled my booking with this simple explanation... if I can't count on Grimaldi Apartments to make small time to reply to my e-mail, how am I supposed to feel confident that it will suffer the inconvenience of meeting me at the Venice dock when I have three kids ready to crash?

Now despite the fact that I cancelled my booking with almost seven weeks of notice there is no way I'm going to get any of my money back since the booking is non-refundable.

So be forewarned… think twice before you gamble the full cost of an apartment in Venice with Grimaldi Apartments. This firm is not at all sympathetic or accountable to its clients. I learned that my only protection with a booking firm that proves elusive is the unpaid balance of my apartment. I’ll never forfeit that money up front again!

• Written August 10, 2010

• JohanIsWeg profile photo JohanIsWeg
  • Reviews: 211

La Palazzina Veneziana: Affordable Venetian Opulence

Not the easiest place to find on the Internet, La Palazzina Veneziana is one of those little secrets travellers like to keep to themselves. Overlooking Il Ponte delle Guglie in Cannaregio, La Palazzina Veneziana offers select guests the opportunity to enjoy a "real" Venice experience - at an affordable price.

Booking. We corresponded via email with Katia at La Palazzina Veneziana, which was a painless experience. Katia was prompt in her replies and answered all my questions unhesitatingly. The price was all inclusive and Katia only required our credit card details to secure the room - payment was made upon our arrival. She also assured me we could leave our luggage for safekeeping, should we arrive prior to book-in. Their email is info@lapalazzinaveneziana.it

Arrival. Having arrived at Santa Lucia Train Station, we turned left into Rio Tera Lista de Spagna, crossed Guglie Bridge and arrived at the front entrance of the guest house. Even with bags in tow, we covered the 500m in a matter of minutes!

Room. Our luxuriously appointed room was a stunning replica of 18th Century Venetian accommodation. Looking out over the Cannaregio canal, our room had its own terrace from where we could watch the hustle and bustle of water-borne commerce and the romance of gliding gondolas. Relaxing with a glass of white wine, we got many an envious glance from the throngs of day-trippers trudging their way back across the Guglie Bridge to Santa Lucia Train Station.

Breakfast. While not spectacular, the breakfast provided the necessary sustenance for an active day of walking and sightseeing. The buffet style breakfast included all the basics, except for meat such as bacon or ham. However, Alina was always willing to produce a few slices if that is what guests required.

Service. Very friendly, almost homely. Alina speaks English well and was always on hand to answer a question or give advice.

Location. Situated as it is in Cannaregio, the guest house is in close proximity to the vibrant stalls, shops, restaurants and wine shops along Rio Tera San Leonardo. It is also very close to the famous Jewish Ghetto (Campo di Ghetto Nuovo). Vaporetto stops Guglie and San Marcuola is also close nearby, although we preferred to walk to Santo Croce, San Polo, Dorsoduro, Castello and Piazza San Marco.

Canal views in a luxurious room at an affordable price.

• Related to: Luxury Travel, Arts and Culture, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written July 30, 2010

La Palazzina Veneziana

• AusPinay profile photo AusPinay
  • Reviews: 587

CENTRALE HOTEL, Mestre: Central to Everything

Our stay was pleasant enough and what we more or less expected. It is unpretentious as it is just really great accommodation if you like good location- close to all amenities plus all the shops you can ever think of- food, dining, fresh markets, supermarkets, bus stops, train, plus loads of cultural and artistic pursuits just around it!

It did not disppoint when it comes to location but for a family of four like us- the room was a bit small- the phone was on the floor asa table lamp can't fit in afterour three beds are all lined up side by side almost touching each other! The other bed for my eldestis separated but it is also in a cramp0ed corner!

No amenities like coffe or tea making and just basic supplies provided but as a whole it was okay!

Brekky is not so bad - the prosciutto was great & the breads are always fresh so not much to complain about except this hotel is always busy so just no frills, as staff is just so businesslike, being so busy all the time!

location ,location ,location

It is surrounded by parks, banks, shopping, transport, dining options ,etc..swo count yourself lucky you are not in the chaos of the main tourist island. It is easily reached anyway by train or bus.

• Related to: Hiking and Walking, Historical Travel, Family Travel
  • Written April 23, 2010

lobby of hotel

• lee.evelyn profile photo lee.evelyn
  • Reviews: 39

Hotel Mori d'Oriente: Romantic Hotel in a quiet location

A 4 star hotel with 5 star service. The charming receptionists and all hotel staff are multilingual. Beautiful rooms, tastefully furnished with an venetian byzantine theme, opulent buffet breakfast. Internet Point and WiFi. The barman and the receptionist are a goldmine of information about anything in Venice, they will book concert or opera tickets.

Beside a canal. Arrive by water taxi directly at the front of the hotel. Two Suites have canal view.
Cozy bar with venetian byzantine theme, which serves a great selection of wines and cocktail and light meals.

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Theater Travel, Museum Visits
  • Written February 28, 2010

Hotel Mori d'Oriente

• Jawnuta profile photo Jawnuta
  • Reviews: 450

apartments: Self catering apartment

We used this website
to search for our accommodation.

Since there were 4 of us, and we wanted to cook some seafood from Venice fish marked (if we failed to find reasonable seafood trattoria) we decided to rent an apartment for 3 nights.
I researched many possible websites to find a nice place to stay for reasonable price.
The cheapest room in decent B&B in Venice was E150/4 people therefore E150 was my cut off price.

I found several available apartments. Some were nicer than others (looking at the pictures). Some had better location than others (based on what we were planning to do during our stay). But generally this website has nice choice of places for every pocket and family size.

We made our booking and are crossing our fingers for GOOD TIME IN VENICE!!!!!

• Written February 20, 2010

• Jawnuta profile photo Jawnuta
  • Reviews: 450
Gran Canal apartment: Self catering apartment

We booked this apartment in February for July 6th to 9th 2010. Unfortunately few days after we made our booking the owner informed us that by mistake he overbooked and we were left scrambling for a new place.

Too bad, because we loved the location (smack in the middle of Venice). The apartment was huge, and beautifully decorated. It had plenty of good reviews from other travelers.

It was located close to the fish marked (as we intended to cook at least twice some good seafood).

We were supposed to pay E150 for a night (4 people)

I am little upset, because it is really beautiful apartment and it supposed to be a special trip for my sister who is getting married, but on the other hand, the owner informed us very fast about the mistake and we were able to find another accommodation.

See the photos on their website why I really wanted to stay there, and why I am crying so much about it .... it is very "venetian" apartment :-) It would have been 100% "venetian" experience :-)

GranCanal

P.S.
as I was looking at both websites I noticed strange discrepancy between both.
GranCanal
GranCanal?
They all look the same, and the owner is the same, but one appear to be 1 bedroom apartment where the other one is 2 bedroom apartment.
Hmmm... maybe those are two different apartments or maybe they are "just too good to be true"

• Written February 20, 2010

• marcwensma profile photo marcwensma
  • Reviews: 4

Casa Eden: unique bed and breakfast in Venice

This bed and breakfast is run by a very friendly family and it is located at the island Giudecca. By boat just a few minutes from San Marco.
It has only 2 suites and a big and beautiful garden. one suite has room for max 3 persons and the other max 5 (this one has an extra separate bedroom). The lady of the house will serve you breakfast every morning and there is a kitchen(with pots and pans etc) in the suite so you can make your own meal an eat in the lovely garden in the gazebo.
According to the quality and location of this B&B the price is absolutely ok. We paid about E.100 per day for 2 persons.
You can go out and in whenever you like because you will get your own key of your appartement.

I had a little hesitation to mention this B&B because I think it is the best secret spot in Venice where you can stay.

It is located next to hotel Cipriani. Take the boat from San Marco to Giudecca and go off at at the first stop on Giudecca, go left and look for the iron gate. There it is. You will come into a courtyard (In this courtyard also the house of a famous english popstar; for privacy reasons I will not mention his name) and at the end of it is the B&B. The garden is at the back of the house. From this garden you walk directly into your apartment

Excellent spot in the centre of Venice. Beautiful garden. Good apartment with kitchen and bathroom. Absolute privacy.

• Related to: Historical Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Luxury Travel
  • Written February 15, 2010

Garden

• mosaicob profile photo mosaicob

Al Campanile Madonna Dell'Orto: Home comfort in Venice is quite precious

We've been more than once in Venice for the Biennale, but for the first time we had this idea to rent an apartment instead of a standard hotel.
Having a regular traveling experience, we were pleased to have our independent home comfort, of wide spaces and so close to the direct airport boat stop.
We had a loft apartment, furnished in a stylish manner, all white and contemporary architectural look, but not too minimal though. With all open spaces inside of partitioned areas, with all new furniture.
Probably we were one of the first clients ever, all was brand new. Not any other accomodation in Venice that I could remember.
On the map it looked far from the saint Mark's Square, but we found the right way to arrive there in 20-25 minutes of walk. On the other hand, we discovered beautiful hidden allies.
We definitely recommand this apartment.

The place is practically situated in a very calm and residential neighbourhood of Venice, 5 minutes of walk to the Jewish quartier. The owners who manage the place have only three apartment houses in the same location, and all of them are of douplex in a private and extraordinary garden with the church's bell tower from the rear. It's so lovely to have some abundance of outdoor space, since Venice sometimes disappoint you with wall views out of your hotel window!
Too bad we had a bad weather, otherwise it could have been a very nice experience of having an outdoor coffee and breakfast.
We were in the mid of November and the owners had already made Christmas decorations.

• Related to: Architecture, Museum Visits, Arts and Culture
  • Written December 23, 2009
Tip Photo

We used to program our daily trips with coffee

• CraigandCorrine profile photo CraigandCorrine

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Don't Stay in Venice itself.

For our trip to Venice we didn't actually stay in Venice. We stayed on the mainland and saved about $300 per night. We stayed in a hotel that was a three minute walk to the train station. The train into Venice cost about 1Euro and we were there in about 10 minutes.

I wish I could remember the name of the Hotel...

• Written November 14, 2009

• skatzcatz profile photo skatzcatz
  • Reviews: 634

Hotel Galleria: Hotel Galleria

A small room but with a great view on the Grand Canal.

great view and right next to the Academia Bridge.

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written November 8, 2009

Hotel Galleria

• traveling-gal profile photo traveling-gal

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Casa Lagana: Venice Hotel scam

a true story:
our first hotel choice was booked ( Corte Campagne- in Rick Steves book), so he referred us to Casa Lagana ( NOT in RS book, but figured a referral was good). Alberto Lagana should be avoided at all costs! He pulled a "bait and switch" and had his rep " Mr Enrico" take us to a shabby building ( not even a hotel), shabby rooms and bathroom in the middle of one room..dark stairs; we did not even know where we were, as it was different neighbor than his "hotel" brochure listed and neither Mr Enrico nor Alberto Lagano spoke any English. We were very upset and needed someplace for 4 of us to stay for 4 nights; so, we called Riccardo of Hotel Corte Campagne- who spoke English- and he called a friend for us. "Sylvia" came to get us and led us to a lovely apartment in a quiet neighborhood. It all worked out, but not without tense moments. So: avoid Casa Lagana, but give Corte Campagne a try.

no unique qualities - Alberto Lagana had us taken to another site..not even sure if his hotel exists, BUT I sure wouldn't take a chance- no matter how cheap it was!!!!!

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written October 6, 2009

• Tuzik profile photo Tuzik
  • Reviews: 16

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Novotel Venezia Mestre Castellana: Arctic cold amidst tropical temperatures in August

I chose this hotel after having reviewed a ton of hotels in all price ranges in Venice itself. Since we travelled in August, it was essential for us to have a hotel with absolutely guaranteed, no excuses, working air conditioning. When doing my homework, I was really freaked out by the number of Venice hotels that had only sporadic (for an hour or two a day) air conditioning or none at all during the hottest summer periods. I quickly noticed that poor air conditioning was travelers' complain # 1 in July and August. Since I stayed in Novotels before, I was relieved to find one, not in Venice, but very close to it, in Mestre. I was spot on! After Venetian temperatures reaching 35-38 degrees Celsius we were so happy to step inside the hotel after a long day in the hot city. We would quickly change into swimsuits and jumb into the hotel's cold water swimming pool. What a treat!
The hotel itself was sparkling clean, with nice big rooms (for a change!), and a very decent restaurant for both breakfasts and our first night's dinner.
The service was excellent. The hotel has its own shuttle bus that guests can book ahead of time to go to Venice in the morning and for a return trip in the evening. We also booked the shuttle bus for early departure for our day trip and when leaving early by train for Florence.
All in all, great hotel. Will definitely stay there again. I didn't mind having to use public transportation to reach Venice. I thought it was very efficient, and the bus stop was a very quick walk from the hotel.

Great outdoor pool and bar. Very reasonable prices (89 Euros) that included breakfast was available from the hotel's website: www.novotel.com. We booked early and got an early booking great discount.

• Related to: Family Travel
  • Written September 18, 2009

• gaia606 profile photo gaia606
  • Reviews: 10

Views on Venice apartments: Apartments for 5 people

An apartment is a nice choice to enjoy Venice life-style, and for five people is cheaper then a hotel. In Venice there are many nice holiday apartments.
Have a look to this http://www.viewsonvenice.com/ca_san_sebastiano.html
or this (if you prefer to stay more close to Saint Mark):
I know the girls in the booking office, they are very nice and speak fluent English.

Nice apartments for 5 people with very good locations

• Related to: Historical Travel, Family Travel
  • Written October 14, 2008

• angiebabe profile photo angiebabe
  • Reviews: 1776

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Venice train station: Get a good deal by booking at the reservation desk

I arrived in Venice without having booked accommodation - when I went to the train station to find a place to leave my bag I came across a glass surrounded room in the train station with hotel reservations written on it.

They are designed to do deals for hotels on their lists - phone them for availability and tell you the current prices and book them for you if you wish. they wont tell you at the time the name of the hotel, only how much the price is right there and then and the location until you book nor can they the price that the hotel is usually - as it turns out that through this reservation office the hotels will do deals for lots cheaper - but they can tell you how many bookings are still available.

I decided not to book there and then but
bought a transport pass which allowed travel up and down the Grand canal and so on the other water buses - went to the christmas markets and so on, the stuff to see until dark.

Bit worried when got back to the reservations office for what would be left of accommodation - but they still had a few places available - I chose the one in the centre just a few minutes from San Marco square, for 50euro which Id checked did have breakfast included as it was a bit above what Id usually pay (but has since turned out to be even better than other Italian cities and towns prices!), so i could spend some time in there in the morning before heading back out to the train station.

It turned out to be a 3 star hotel and my room was normally priced at 91 euro. So even tho above my usual budget it was only 10 euro above the price Id been happy to pay for 2 star accom for 40 euro a night during the Carnivale but without breakfast about 5 years ago!

• Related to: Budget Travel, Singles, Trains
  • Written July 1, 2008
Tip Photo

train station on the left

• artbybec profile photo artbybec
  • Reviews: 10

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

COUNTRY HOUSE: AWSOME B&B!

After a few days in Venice I wanted to experience a country B&B. This charming place seems right out of a movie. It's not far from the airport, maybe 1mile and they are happy to pick you up and take you back for your departing flight. Very reasonable for 55€ a nite and I was there in March. There is a in house chef on the premises and the food was very impressive, you feel like you are having dinner at home.

The house has a guest dining room but also has a large dining area, (restaurant style) and at times they have live music. There were plans to add a pool on the grounds and I understood the project to be well underway. There is a private road excellent for long walks, and these facilties are pet friendly. Rosa and Loris are the owners and hosts, and you will be treated like family. Rosa speaks 8 languages and they are both sweethearts.

• Written June 11, 2008