Townhouse Hotel Maastricht

johngayton's Profile Photo

Chic, Welcoming and Almost Perfect

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 27, 2010

I was very impressed with this hotel and doubly so by the very reasonable rate I got through www.booking.com

I must have struck lucky with my timing but even if I'd paid twice as much as I did it would still have been excellent value-for-money.

The Townhouse styles itself as a "Design Hotel" and that's what it is - chic, trendy and characterful but also welcoming in a genuinely friendly fashion. On check-in, which was swift and efficient, the receptionist offered me a bowl of soup or a nibble of sausage. I don't know whether that's the norm or whether it was because the Netherlands had been playing football that afternoon (the World Cup 2010 quarter-final against Uruguay which they won 3-2) but was certainly an interesting introduction.

Unique Quality: I passed on the soup but did partake of a nibble to chew on as I took the stairs up to my 1st floor room (there is a lift but as I was travelling light it wasn't worth waiting for). I must have struck lucky with my room as well as it was hugely spacious with what I'd call a bay window, a double bed which could have slept four (or more if you were having that sort of visit LOL ;)), an uncluttered work desk with a huge domed overlight and snuck on a table in the corner (underneath the plasma TV) an inviting-looking bottle of wine.

Everything I need from a hotel, although the TV was totally superfluous for my personal way of travelling.

I never did try the wine as I found a great bar locally which was open until late. My rate didn't include breakfast which wasn't a worry as I never got back before 2 am and would have have missed it anyway. I did though take advantage of the morning coffee which is a help-yourself affair from a fresh brew machine (I think it was 1.50 Euro) and the price seemed to include a freebie range of "Vienoisserie" (mini croissants, biscotti, mini chocolatines and a couple of other nibbles).

My ensuite bathroom was spotlessly clean with a bath that filled rapidly - perfect for giving the cobblestoned feet a good soak and even had a touch button radio for a bit of musical bathing accompaniment.

The only thing I wasn't impressed with was the internet connection. This is a freebie, and those who haven't brought their own machine can borrow one from reception free of charge, but the connection cut out every 45 minutes and required reregistering (still free). Not good if you are doing anything serious online.

Directions: Less than 5 minutes walk from the railway and bus stations - turn right on the main road and left on the next and you're pretty much there.

Add to your Trip Planner

• Fitness Center
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Maastricht Travel Forum

Need advice about Maastricht, Netherlands? Visit the Travel Forum for Maastricht and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Maastricht hotel reviews