Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel

See Amenities
scaleguy's Profile Photo

Good location but overpriced

by written on August 6, 2012

Very close to central rail station but not necessarily easy to find. I even had a local with me and it took a bit to find the street. We had to stop and ask directions from a shop keeper.

The room was modern and spacious with all of the amenities an American would expect.

On the cons side, the hotel is on a busy street and the walls are thin. I was woke up numerous times through the night by the loud noises in the street below my window.

Bar food was very good but the portions were so tiny they didn't matter. Beer was cold and good

Directions: Straight out the front door of Amsterdam Central. Cross the street and stay on the right side. Go past the coffee shop to Kattengat Street and turn right. The front door is half way down the block.

Jimbo222's Profile Photo

Center of the city!

by written on March 4, 2012

Great hotel to stay at. I think around a block or 2 blocks walk from Amsterdam Central train station. You can basically walk to anywhere within central area. Go down and you'll have a stretch of restaurants/bars/fastfood to go to. Can go red light district for maybe a 5-10 minutes walk if i remember correctly.

pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Former Sonesta (Koepelkerk) Hotel

by written on March 22, 2009

The Renaissance Hotel is part of the Marriot group. It was known as the Sonesta hotel, that took over the round Lutherian church at the Kattengat in 1975. The church building is a characteric part of the hotel.

The Renaissance hotel offers 400+ rooms with all comfort.

The hotel is just 10 minutes walking from the Centraal Station and at one side has a view to the Singel and Brouwersgracht canals; two of the most romantic city canals.

Directions: From the Centraal Station keep right and enter the city via the Martelaarsgracht street.
Keep right at the second corner and you are almost there.

MBDVB's Profile Photo

Amsterdam hotel

by written on August 9, 2008

Agreed with Pieter, et al, regarding the three hotels, Walt. I encourage you to use as many points as needed to get the best room you can afford. I stayed at the Renaissance a few years back, will be there next month.

As for coffeeshops... two suggestions... look into www.Channels.nl
and here's a printable map... www.coffeeshop.freeuk.com/index.htm

Also an excellent map, Streetwise Amsterdam is available at Barnes & Noble or online at www.streetwisemaps.com

Have a great trip!

Directions: Coming out of Centraal Station, cross the bridge, bear right , left at the light and walk for only about 2 blocks. Can't miss it...

TheView's Profile Photo

Amsterdam Renaissance Hotel

by written on May 6, 2008

Very nice hotel perfectly fine shower and a great bed. The room was situated out to a minor street this was the only little minus as the noise from the traffic did influence my sleep (that is they was nice and had earplugs in the room but I reader sleep without if I could decide myself). I was on the other hand delighted as I did arrive early in the morning to Amsterdam and the check in being at 15.00 hours I asked the reception if I could leave my luggage here before check in I was not only given this opportunity but given a room right away.

Directions: Short walk from the central station.

Add to your Trip Planner

Okay hotel, but not what I expected

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 19, 2008

I stayed at the Renaissance in Aug '07 based on my membership in the Marriott rewards program. I had previously stayed at the Renaissance in Las Vegas. First of all, I was walking on a very bad toe and had a very had time getting around. The front desk was able to accommondate my request for an early check-in, but put me into a room where there was construction work going on right above me (without mentioning it of course). I was able to call the front desk from my room and get them to reassign me, however as previously mentioned, it was more than an inconvenience and hassle having to pack up and move to another quieter room. Since I had a very hard time walking, I spent too much of my trip in my room resting on the bed.

While Renaissance is Marriott's most elite hotels chain, the room itself was a pretty basic. While it had the expected amenities (mini-fridge, room safe, reasonably comfortable bed), it was nothing like the Renaissance hotel I stayed at while in Vegas, which had a flatscreen LCD TV and incredibly nice furniture and decor. This room was more like a courtyard room with a very basic bathroom. For the money they charged me and the reputation that a Renaissance hotel has, I expected a lot more.

JackM2006's Profile Photo

Excellent buffet breakfast

by written on June 23, 2007

My stay was pleasant and it is centrally located within the city. A short walking distance to the Dam, red light district, main train station and the Jordaan.

Unique Quality: The buffet breakfast was quite good. The room was clean and the bed was made daily. The bathroom was nice and clean with replacement toiletries daily. Will definitely stay there again when I visit Amsterdam.

Directions: Near the Jordaan.

Add to your Trip Planner

Quiet area yet it's in the middle of everything!

by written on April 8, 2007

I got this hotel thru Priceline.

This is a great location. Within walking distance to the Central station, Dam Square, Red Light district, Anne Frank's house, various restaurants, etc. It's in the middle of everything yet it's still peaceful at night. The lounge area offers complimentary coffee and tea all day and night. Very efficient staff... one lady saved me from destroying my flat iron (ya know the difference between a transformer and an adapter?).

Cons: For those who are planning to rent a car while visiting the city, this hotel charges 35 euros a day to park in their not-so-great parking garage.

MBDVB's Profile Photo

American standard

by written on November 1, 2006

Great location on Kattengat, only moments from the front of Centraal Station. From personal experience, the hotel is not quite up to Renaissance standards here in the USA, with the Club level room I had being large by european standards, was comparable to a standard Hampton Inn room stateside. The level did include access to breakfast and happy hour rooms, which was nice but not exceptional.

Unique Quality: Easy to find, and with a good staff on hand.

Directions: Centraal Station in the direction of the Damrak. Right at the first traffic light Prins Hendrikkade; walk until the Café Karpershoek at the corner. Left Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal direction Spuistraat. South on Spuistraat, first right Kattengat.

Frisbeeace's Profile Photo

Walking distance from your train

by written on September 23, 2006

The Ren Amsterdam is a very nice property, better than most establishments of the same brand, and located in a nice quiet area. It is very close to the train station (3 blocks) and within walking distance to the main sights. Service is excellent, rooms comfortable and ample for European standards. I was very pleased with it.

mkc87's Profile Photo

Quite yet Close to everything

by written on May 30, 2006

Most everything that you want in a hotel. The lobby was great, the room was okay, and the bed was a little saggy. But I've stayed in much worse. I would definenently recommend this hotel to the tourist and business traveler alike.

Unique Quality: Close to everything, and right off the main walk. Only a short walk, about a block and a half from Central Station, even in the rain. The Tram/Bus stop is right on the corner. Also, you can easily walk to everything you would like to see in Amsterdam, yet quiet, and very safe part of the city right on the Singel Canal. I didn't really use the pool, or have a great view. I hate to publicise this site, but the hotel usually goes for $300 a night (not worth that much), but you can get a great deal from Priceline.com

Directions: Walk accross the street from Central Station, walk to your right walk left when you reach the Singel Canal and you should see the hotel sign on your left.

lesley1160's Profile Photo

Amsterdam Apartments

by written on April 7, 2005

We landed at Schipol Airport and took a train into the centre of Amsterdam. The apartments were situated within walking distance of the station and were very clean and comfortable.
The beauty of Amsterdam is that everything is within walking distance.
We visited the Van Gogh museum and the flower market, both are a must see.

Unique Quality: Clean, comfortable, very central. Great for wandering around Dam Square and soaking up the atmosphere.

Directions: The apartments are part of the Renaisaance Hotel and are situated a short distance of central station (approximately at 200 metres). Near the Dam Square and the Central Station.

CrystalCat's Profile Photo

Close to train station

by written on March 13, 2005

Not a bad place to stay but we didn't enjoy the location as much our stays near the Jordaan area. If you are going to Amsterdam to sample the seedy side of life (coffee shops, mushrooms, redlight) then this hotel is near all of that. Rooms were large and had nice furniture.

Unique Quality: Check out their specials and other packages. We stayed there during the winter and they offered a great deal that included one appetizer and a beer, a canal tour, a diamond tour, and breakfast daily for $130 per night.

Directions: Take Damrak from the station and make a right on Haring-parkkers. Go left on Nieuwezijdsarm. At Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal look to your right, and towards the sky and you will see the hotel. Cross the street down Kattengrat and it will be on your right.

Whitewidow21's Profile Photo

My hotel room

by written on May 13, 2004

Here is an interior picture of the hotel, small but there was more than enough room for one person. This room was always filled with heavy, thick, potent, fumes that the poor maid would come out stoned with blood shot eyes. Infact it was so thick that you wouldn't be able to see infront of you clearly.

Whitewidow21's Profile Photo

Great 4-star hotel

by written on May 13, 2004

This hotel is off the hook. They treat pot heads with high class royalty. From the moment I checked in, they went out of there way to make sure my stay was comforting. They would have these tasty Dutch gummy bears in the front; I would always take advantage of it without being hassled by taking too much. To be honest most of the time I was in Amsterdam I didn't spend too much time in the hotel, I was always outside looking for adventure even in the poring rain. I would always show up early morning after midnight with blood shot eyes and still they treated me with respect. They have these awesome lounge areas where you can take some coffee with a chocolate croissant and enjoy as you unwind. Great place to meet some European chicks. For some reason there were allot of Asians with there laptops, browsing the web. And most important they have smoking rooms. The central station was right behind this hotel, literally a block or two, walking distance.

Unique Quality: I purchased my trip through priceline.com where I think I got a pretty good deal, the trip with air fare and hotel set me back a little less that $1,500.00. Two weeks after I booked my trip I decided to get some more quotes and see how much they were running for then, for the same trip it ended up costing a little less than $5,000.00.
SO DEFFINATLEY MAKE SURE AND BOOK WAY AHEAD OF TIME.

Nearby Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel

• Suites
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Amsterdam Travel Forum

Need advice about Amsterdam, Netherlands? Visit the Travel Forum for Amsterdam and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Amsterdam hotel reviews