Manga Hostel

planxty's Profile Photo

A wonderful hostel.

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 21, 2011

People sometimes look at me slightly askance when I tell them I still stay in hostels now that I am in my fifties. Certainly those of my generation have an image of spartan conditions, cold showers, curfews, chores and all sorts of annoyances. Quite honestly things have changed considerably and I would hold up the Manga Hostel as an example of what is available for a very few euros.

Do not be put off the outward appearance. You have to go throught the carpark of a residential block and it does not look very appealing, indeed the exterior isn't very inspiring either. Go through the gate, however, and you are in a delightful little garden area (pictured) where I was greeted in a most friendly way by the young lady on duty. Registration was quick and easy (you have to be registered with the local police but they do all that for you) and I was shown to the room, a dorm of 12 bunk beds. Clean and tidy, there were also good sized lockers for each bed which was handy for keeping valuables in although I never felt any fear of theft there. People seemed to leave stuff just lying about quite openly (e.g. the expensive looking heaphones in the image of the bunkroom). I was alone in there when I took that image.

Wandering out for a stroll to the first VT Euro premeet nearby, I was engaged in conversation by the young lady again as well as a couple of other guests (there were only about four of us in there that night) and a glass of raki, the local spirit, offered as well as some sweets. Never one to refuse a drink I accepted this typical Serb hospitality and sallied forth with a spring in my step. That raki is powerful stuff, I can tell you.

Next morning, I inexplicably awoke earlier than usual and went outside for a cigarette as the whole hostel is non smoking. I was met by the night person, another delightful young lady with excellent English and she immediately offered me coffee, which was much appreciated. Normally in hostels you have to make your own. I subsequently found out you can help youself to coffee or tea whenever you want. This friendly service was to be the hallmark of my whole stay. It really is more like staying in a friends place than a commercial venture.

To the technicalities. The bed was very comfortable with all bedding provided. I stand 6'5" and I lay stretched out on the bunk with neither head nor feet touching the boards. The toilet / shower room is immaculate. The kitchen, although I did not use it, looked clean and tidy and the common room boasts some games and a satellite TV with about 120 channels on it. There is free wifi and, if you don't have your own laptop, there are two broadband computers to use. Should you want, there is even a Playstation.

If you are not worried about sleeping in a communal dorm (I believe there are private rooms available should you prefer) I really don't know why you would spend a lot more money on a hotel when you can stay here.

Very highly recommended.

Unique Quality: The unique quality of this place has to be the young and amazingly friendly staff, they really are superb.

Add to your Trip Planner

Nearby Manga Hostel

4 Photos of Manga Hostel

View Professional Photos

Belgrade Travel Forum

Need advice about Belgrade, Republic of Serbia? Visit the Travel Forum for Belgrade and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Belgrade hotel reviews

Cars And Gas Stations
Knez Mihailova Ulica
Visit Belgrade Fair
Things to Do
Republic square - see you there
Visit Kalemegdan
BusPlus ticket system
Transportation
To city center via Balkanska street
Transportation
To the city center on foot
Public transportation in Belgrade
Park of Friendship
T A X I
Good grief!
Things to Do
Don't miss the fresh turkish coffee!
Spirit of Vracar
Things to Do
Outstanding experience in the city!
Belgrade for active travelers