VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Baltschug Kempinski

See Amenities

poor service

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 20, 2011

The hotel has got a wonderful location. It owns a very beautiful building. But service is very very poor. I have no choice but to stay here becasue our company has got special prices and the office is very close, but I wish I had stayed elsewhere. All extra serivces are so expensive that I first thought I made a mistake in my calculations to Euro... And for this money you get nothing.
Just a few examples: I asked for extra towels, and they ignored it. I asked to get theatre tickets for the opening night (emailed in advance), and got no reply. The toilet was leaking. There were crums on the floor. The reception is very rude and not willing to help. How can this be a five star hotel and cost so much?! This is crazy.

Unique Quality: The location is great!!! 15 minutes to walk and you're in Red Square.

Directions: located in the very centre, across the river from the Kremlin.

not improving

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 7, 2011

My husband travels a lot to Moscow, for business, and most of the times his company bookes us into this hotel. It's very very expensive, and I would even say too expensive for what is it. We've been staying there for four years already, and the hotel hasn't become any better, I mean it's a normal thing to develop in some way but it seems like the management aren't actually doing anything. Anyway, all in all the hotel is good, but only if you aren't paying yourself. It's in the center of the city, but you have to walk quite a bit to get to the main attractions. Be ready to tip everyone, beause you can see it the eyes of everyone of their staff that they're expecting it.

Unique Quality: Good view.

Directions: take the taxi, it's quite a lot to walk

iaint's Profile Photo

Wow

by written on March 20, 2009

I stayed here in 1968. Then it was an Intourist "gem". I wasn't a sophisticated judge of hotels in those days (being 15 at the time) but it was not good.

Staff who were unhelpful and rude, straight from the Intourist school of charm. Each floor had a woman sitting at a desk, recording your movements. We'd been told to assume the rooms were all bugged, and to watch what we said.

From looking at the website, it has been transformed!

5* luxury, and no doubt prices to match.

The exterior looks unchanged.

Unique Quality: Location - 5 minute walk to Red Square with a view of the Kremlin.

Directions: Just across the river from the southeast corner of the Kremlin.

The best!

by written on July 15, 2008

From the moment we were welcomed by the doorman to the time he called for our car and packed our baggage into the trunk we were treated so well. The room was charming -- an elegance of a golden era of traveling. The hotel's principal rooms were opulent. Our package included breakfast which we had sent to our room. The food was magnificent and special thanks to Oleg who was so very prompt, efficient and friendly in the morning. We didn't want to leave, imagining what it would be like to spend weeks on end being pampered. Simply the best hotel in Moscow. It is unbelievably close to the Kremlin and Cathedral and the best shops. Finally, it was all so very reasonable in terms of cost. We will be returning!

Unique Quality: excellent service, view, location

Directions: historical center

Add to your Trip Planner

best stay in Moscow so far

by written on January 11, 2008

I stay in Moscow regularly for business (generally for one night at a time) and have stayed at a range of the city's hotels over time, including in the main business area.

Check-in/check-out was polite and efficient and there was no issue with adding to bags in store or changing in the gym prior to heading off to the airport.

Rooms have been laid out with a lot of thought and attention to detail. .

Room service timely and high quality.

With the dig now over, access by foot from the main downtown business and/or shopping area is easy, despite the riverfront location.

Unique Quality: Location, service, attitude

baldurontour's Profile Photo

Best View in Moskau

by written on October 21, 2007

I stayed here for business just one day.

Rooms are very very Big, although I felt that the furniture was quite "normal". I have surely seen rooms in Moscow which had more ambiente. But surely this was the biggest Standard/Deluxe Room I ever had.

Fabulous location. You can walk to the highlights Basilica, Kreml, Balshoi Theatre, Tverskaja...and many more.

Unique Quality: The Breakfast room has the best view you can gelt on the Basilica.

Be sure to pick a breakfast time, when the room is not so full so that you have a free pick of the best table.

Baltschug Kempenski offers the best Breakfast I have ever had in Moscow. The have like 15 different fresh pressed juices for selection....really all fresh!

Directions: Opposite of the Kremlin and Basilica.

kris-t's Profile Photo

Baltschug Kempinsky *****

by written on June 1, 2006

Favorably situated on the bank of the Moscow River, just opposite the Kremlin, the Baltschug Kempinsky Moscow Hotel gives a great opportunity to businesspeople and leisure tourists to stay in the very center of business and cultural life of the Russian capital.
For the high standards of services the Baltschug Kempinski Moscow Hotel was prized more than once.

It's historical building - in the late 19th century famous Russian artists like Kramskoy and Vasnetsov had their studios here.

Unique Quality: The guests of the Baltschug Kempinsky Hotel can make a round-the-world culinary voyage without leaving the premises of the hotel. The great choice of bars and restaurants offering best world cuisines makes this real.
At the Baltschug Restaurant the guests are treated with delicious dishes of Russian and international cuisines and offered best wines and champagne. The restaurant regularly hosts theme evenings devoted to the culinary art of different countries of the world. The perfect accomplishment to the dinner at the Baltschug Restaurant is the live classic, modern and jazz music and the splendid view of the Kremlin.

Single from 545 USD/ night .... hm.... for some one who can affort that...

butkus6061's Profile Photo

Location..location..location

by written on February 26, 2006

This hotel has a fabulous location and is one of the top hotels in Moscow.
It is on the expensive side. The service was attentive but not 5 star.
The Concierge was very helpful with helping me purchase airline tickes to St.Petersburg as well as securing great seats at the ballet, restaurant reccomendations,shipping paskages bask to USA, and arranging car services. I arranged my private tour of the Kremlin through the concierge..so they can make anything happen. They have a couple of nice restaurants with good russian basics and a bar for a night cap.
The rooms are also not 5 star quality and the bed/furniture seems dated..but..ask for the Kremlin/St Basil view over looking the Moscow River..simpy amazing..to look out the window with must be one of the best views in Moscow and Europe.
Would I use again..I head back to Moscow soon..I am trying out the National Hotel..as I felt for the money I had higher expectations

Unique Quality: Staff was very attentive for the most part
Good busines center and workout facility with Sauna
Incredible views and close to Red Square/Kremlin/St Basil's.
The building is very pretty...
Expensive

Directions: Kremlin/Red Square

PeterVancouver's Profile Photo

Kempinski Moscow -top of the range

by written on May 17, 2005

Quite something ! A truly five star hotel with a very conservative decor less than 100m across the bridge from the Kremlin. Naturally, I would have liked a room overlooking the Kremlin, but think I would have to rob a bank to afford it. Although my room had no special views, it was well appointed and of course the service was excellent which was only to be expected

Unique Quality: It was odd in this day and age, in having to surrender my passport for the night with the reception, but then this is Moscow. The idea of the elevators being operated only with a plastic card was supposed to be for security purposes, but I think if confronted with an armed gang, I would not be too reluctant in handing mine over. The hotel has a number of superb grey mercedes for their guests , with what are clearly ex military young men as drivers, also in matching grey suits. Whilst opening the car door I could see my driver wore a shoulder holster and a sizable pistol. I am not sure if this is company dress, but I convinced myself that this was to defend the guest, rather than himself.

Upon arrival at the airport, I had already "palmed" some US Dollars as a tip for the driver and as I thanked him and shook hands it was increadible how he slipped the money from my hand into his and with the cameras watching, there was no way that they could detect forien money had just changed hands. I have travelled moderatly extensivly and this was so very slick compared with anywhere else in the world

Directions: On Bol'saja Ordynka (M2). .

Nav1c's Profile Photo

Presidential suite...sweet!

by written on April 2, 2005

Expensive, but amazing views of St. Basil's, Red Square, and the Kremlin. We partied like rock stars in this hotel, but for what we paid, we had to get our moneys worth.

Klod5's Profile Photo

Baltchoug Kempinski *****

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 10, 2004

The Leading Hotels of The World
Centre-ville. Vue magnifique sur le Kremlin et sur l'eglise Basile-le-Bienheureux.
Official information :
Ideally located just across the Moskva River from the Kremlin in Russia's historic and cultural center, the Hotel Baltschug Kempinski Moscow provides business and leisure travellers with the perfect base from which to explore one of the world's most important and dynamic cities.

Unique Quality: 234 chambres - rooms.
All rooms are air conditioned and beautifully appointed, with amenities including satellite TV channels, two direct-dial satellite telephones with voice mail, in-house mobile phones, computer outlet and direct Internet access, personal safe, minibar, bathrobe and slippers.

KidsForChrist's Profile Photo

The best - if you can afford it!

by written on February 12, 2004

Great 5-star accomodations... if my business wasn't paying for it, there's no way I could afford it. Across the river from the Kremlin- great views, walking distance from St. Basil's. Would recommend in a heartbeat--go ahead and splurge!

Baltchug-Kempinsky Hotel

by written on September 12, 2002

Want luxury and prestige? Welcome to Baltchug-Kempinsky Hotel.
Starting from 120-570 DM to 900-2500 $ per night.

Unique Quality: Located on the picturesque bank of the Moskva river in front of the Kremlin.Michael Jackson stayed here when he was on a visit to Moscow. There are two restaurants and a business-centre.

Nearby Baltschug Kempinski

• Suites
  • Airport Transportation
  • Bar / Lounge

Moscow Travel Forum

Need advice about Moscow, Russia? Visit the Travel Forum for Moscow and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Moscow hotel reviews