Grand Hotel Stockholm

MM212's Profile Photo

Grand Hotel: Old World Hotel

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 20, 2016

The Grand Hotel is Stockholm's prime Belle Époque hotel. Everything is fantastic about the hotel, as one would expect, from the beautiful period interiors and impeccable service, to great facilities and breathtaking views. The only disadvantage is the interior feels a bit dated and could benefit from a bit of a renovation to modernise it... I do not mean to imply that it is lacking, but the world is changing a bit. Nevertheless, my one night stay here on business in Oct 2016 was most enjoyable and I certainly would stay here again.

Unique Quality: +46 8 679 35 00

Directions: Södra Blasieholmshamnen 8, 103 27 Stockholm, Sweden

I wish I could give the Grand Hotel a grand review

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 29, 2010

The Grand Hotel is beautiful and centrally located. I'd have loved to give it a good review. However, my experience there prohibits me from doing so. I had purchased a number of souvenirs in Finland and Sweden and asked the concierge where I could post them. He told me that they would do that for me and bill me for postage. This occurred on August 9, 2010. As I write this review, it is October 30, 2010, and they still have not sent my items. They have also refused to respond to me emails and phone calls, as well as to my complaints to IHG's customer service. Perhaps one needs to be a Nobel Prize winner to get good service at the (not-so) Grand Hotel. I would have expected much better service from a five-star establishment. I have nothing to show for a once-in-a-lifetime trip.

Unique Quality: Poor service.

Directions: In close proximity to the Royal Palace, Gamlastan, the subway, and other attractions. Apparently, it is not near a post office.

Top Hotel in Sweden

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 14, 2009

This is the place to stay in Stockholm. Regarded as the best hotel in Sweden, not just Stockholm, The Grand offers class in abundance. From check-out to check-out, you will be pampered all the way. From my taxi from Arlanda airport to the hotel, my bags were removed from the car and shipped to my room. The room was outstanding. With spectacular views of the water and the Royal Palace, the room was in the ideal location and of a decent size with a large double bed and a lounge area.

The hotel bar (Cadier) is a high-class affair. The menu lists a large range of beers, whiskies, and cocktails to suit any taste you may have. We opted for afternoon tea on a Sunday which was provided free as we were Intercontinental Royal Ambassador members (do you know the Grand is an Intercontinental branded hotel?).

The breakfast was fantastic. With a multitude of dishes to choose, we were setup for the day (we went back to bed) and ready for anything. The waiter is always at the ready with tea/coffee should you require it.

Checkout was just as good. My bags were whisked into the back of a chaffeured Mercedes Benz and we were whisked off to the airport in perfect time for our flight and even had a little time to relax in the SAS business class lounge.

Unique Quality: This place has class in abundance.

Traditional and nice

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 29, 2006

Recommended, very famous and classic hotel, its beatiful, mexican people if u r in Stockholm this is the kind of thotel ull like, so choose this one, guys. The only remark, I was there in summer, and for the breakfast buffet It was a mess. The hostess told us "free sitting" and u can imagine the hassle to find a table since the restaurant is rather small. When I finally found a table and asked to a waitress to clean it the guy almost moved me from the table saying that the hostess should have assigned me a place; well the waitress guy look like the typical guy hired for the summer who gets drunk at night and works with the hangover LOL. Still the rooms and the service are very nice.

Directions: In front of the royal palace

Astralka's Profile Photo

No spiders

by written on November 6, 2004

It has a great location in the centre of the town. I prefere to stay outside of these hotels, so it is up to you to try it. When you are there, definitely cross the bridge to Skeppsholmen beautiful island with several museums (museum of modern art (free of charge), architecture, asiatic museum) and fantastic views of Stockhom panorama.

Sjalen's Profile Photo

As classy as it gets

by written on August 11, 2004

I have never stayed here myself as I have in fact never ever stayed in a Stockholm hotel, having my family here, but this is one of the top hotels and you can see for yourself what the location is like...

wadekorzan's Profile Photo

Very expensive and very famous

by written on June 3, 2004

I actually did not stay here, but it has to be mentioned because it's probably the most famous hotel in Stockholm. Even if you don't stay here, you should go inside and have a look--it's beautiful! The only thing is that you probably should not walk in wearing some old torn jeans and a old tshirt!

The hotel is incredible and the Nobel prize winners sleep here after the big banquet. One room is situated in a tower with a 360 degree view. Many of the rooms have an incredible view over the Royal Palace.

Directions: Metro Kungstradgarden--very conveniently located close to the Royal Garden, Wasa Museum, Nordiska Museum, Skansen open air museum, boat cruise, old town, and central Stockholm...

yooperprof's Profile Photo

Where the Big People Stay

by written on January 7, 2004

If you are really Grand, (and if you have an expense account), you probably want to stay at the Grand Hotel. This is where Greta Garbo stayed on her return visits to Stockholm, after she became a Hollywood star and glamour queen of the world. Needless to say, I didn't stay at the Grand, but I did look in at the lobby, to get a sense of how the upper crust lives.

Manara's Profile Photo

A bit disappointing

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 3, 2003

The Grand is where I was accommodated on my first visit to Stockholm. The hotel is historic, and rated as the best in town. It is also famous because the people awarded the Nobel prize are accommodated here.
I confirm that the location is great, the rooms are comfortable and the breakfasts in the veranda are a pleasure, but there were also some disappointments, that I probably felt more strongly because of the reputation of this hotel

Unique Quality: First of all, there is a drawback in staying in a historic building: it is impossible to add more elevators, so you may have to walk a long way from you room to the elevator, and then you may have to wait a long time.
The most disappointing thing, however, was at the check-out. I had made two telephone calls but I was billed five. The person at the counter was adamant that their telephone system was computer controlled and that there could not be any mistake. In such cases, what I would normally do is ask to speak with the manager, but I had to go to a meeting, and the people I had to meet were already waiting for me in the lobby, so I preferred not to waste their time and paid.
This is why I feel disappointed with the Grand.

Directions: In Blasieholmen, central Stockholm

Erkmen's Profile Photo

Grand Hotel... Really Grand

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 20, 2003

No we can not afford to stay in this hotel.. But when we were in stockholm mike jagger was staying here. And this hotel is said to be the most expensive one in Stockholm..

We could not dare to go in but nothing can stop us to have a photo of it..

Nobbe's Profile Photo

Grand Hôtel in Stockholm city...

by written on August 24, 2002

Grand Hôtel in Stockholm city is a five star and a member of The Leading Hotels of the World. Few other hotels in northern Europe are in the same class.

Unique Quality: The Grand Hôtel opened for the first time in 1874 and has a long and fascinating history. The Grand Hôtel has 304 rooms, including 21 suites. No room is like another. Many of the rooms and all the suites have a view over the harbor, Old Town and Royal Palace.

Directions: In the City Centre, just next to the Old Town and the Royal Palace.

Nearby Grand Hotel Stockholm

• Spa
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Stockholm Travel Forum

Need advice about Stockholm, Sweden? Visit the Travel Forum for Stockholm and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Stockholm hotel reviews

Taxis
Södermalm Shops
H&M
Shopping
Gamla Stan (The Old Town)
Off The Beaten Path
Services and Information
Gondolen
Zum Franziskaner
Restaurants
Kungliga Slottet (Royal Palace)
Meals