Holiday Inn Express Crewe

Work Abroad Family Travel Business Travel
See Amenities
DAO's Profile Photo

NOT GOOD ENOUGH

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 6, 2015

The original Holiday Inn company set the standard for hotels stays in the USA decades ago. The promised consistency, high standards and a good price. It was always implied that you would get a good night’s sleep. Sorry – but this location is not good enough. I have read reviews where they have made excuses about not originally being a Holiday Inn and being an acquisition. There is a sign at the often un-manned reception indicating that it is a franchise. I don’t give a damn. I didn’t get a good night’s sleep on a business trip.

VERDICT: FAIL

First I emailed them to be assured I would have a quiet room. They did this, but then I was given a different room. I checked my emails and back to reception I went. The new room (the promised room) materialised after several minutes of dithering. It looked the business and I was quite happy. Until I went to bed. I had 2 beds thrown together and one was bad, the other worse. Seriously bad. I have back issues and I kept waking up in pain. Lumpy, uneven, overly firm. Just poor. And the air-conditioning? It decided to work intermittently and at times heat the room. I had to keep getting up to try and turn it back on (off defaults to heat). When I finally got up to go to work I was exhausted and needed a shower and coffee. I boiled the water and opened the coffee sachet. Too bad there were no coffee cups or spoons! Who runs this place? Anyway the shower was the best in the whole of the UK in 20 years. It was like being washed by a firehose. Cool.

I went to check-out and saw one of the cleaning crew who saw me, and disappeared. Fair enough, he was not a reception member. Then I waited. And waited. I needed to go to work! I looked high and low. Actually I saw a window below and several people – in uniform – drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes outside. I had to go out and ask to check out. They all seemed to look at the youngest guy to make him go do it. Glad I don’t work here!

The sad thing is that whenever I did ring reception on the phone – they acted immediately, politely and with a smile. They just need better organisation and better mattresses!

So off to work – barely made it on time – exhausted – and no caffeine.

EPIC BUSINESS STAY FAIL.

Unique Quality:

OVERVIEW:
• Bad beds, strange service, well located for the train station
• 70 Non-smoking rooms – other than the beds- are well appointed
• Free Wi-Fi, Buffet Breakfast, Bar (recent reviews state no beer available!)
• Free car park (register your details or you get a fine from the CCTV system!)
• Buffet Breakfast Included

ROOMS:
• Double, twin or family rooms – all air conditioning
• Free Wi-Fi and work desk
• All bathrooms are shower only, but great shower & great towels, hairdryer
• TV (poor reception), phone, odd placement of electrical outlets

SERVICES:
• Business Center
• Health and Fitness Center (Off-site)
• Ice Machine, Safety Deposit Box, Kids Eat Free

• Continental Breakfast
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Crewe Travel Forum

Need advice about Crewe, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for Crewe and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Crewe hotel reviews