VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Please save any personal content and exchange contact info with other members you’d like to stay in touch with. Thank you for your contributions to the VirtualTourist community.

Penzance Hotels

Our Members Say

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hub by Premier Inn London Westminster, St James's: Budget Hotel, Great Location In Westminster

Hub is Premier Inn's budget line, this is the 2nd one I’ve stayed in and I think they are great for short stays. I stayed 7 nights in this one, by the end my back was not happy. The price can be quite a bit lower than the regular Premier Inn hotels but you are required to pay in advance regardless of whether you book a cancellable or non cancellable room. The disadvantage of this to foreign visitors is that the exchange rate can fluctuate and can cost you money if the value is different if you need to cancel. I hesitated booking the room just for a few days and in that time the cost went up quite a bit and never went back down again. <br/><br/>The location of this hotel is great, you can walk to Westminster Abbey, St. James’s Park, Buckingham Palace, the London Eye and the Houses of Parliament. The St. James’s Park underground station is 2 minutes away, you can also walk to Victoria Station or Westminster in 10-15 minutes. I thought it was very easy to find, follow the signs for Park/Broadway/New Scotland Yard and there is a sign for Dacre Street and it's a 1/2 block.<br/><br/> We ended up with an accessible room because the double rooms were booked for part of our visit. The room and the bathroom are a little larger than the regular room in order to make it accessible for wheelchairs. There are a few nice extras, free tea and coffee in the lobby and snacks throughout the day. Breakfast is a reasonable 4£ extra and consisted of fruit, hot cereal, pastries, toast and juice. You could get it on a daily basis or for the whole stay. Check in is at 2 pm, they have luggage storage if you arrive earlier or need to store your luggage on the final day. Controls for the lights and heat are all on a panel over the bed, there’s a light you can turn on just in the bathroom from that panel. Wifi is free and fast. I didn’t find the bed to be super comfortable, not sure if that was because it was an accessible room or because I prefer a slightly softer bed. Only 2 pillows. Very little storage space, in the regular rooms I think there is storage under the bed but that’s not possible in an accessible room. Toiletries limited to hand soap and body wash. There is a hair dryer. The TV had a lot of options including movies and music. There is a do not disturb button and a don't make up my room button.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written December 14, 2016

Radisson Blu Edwardian Vanderbilt: Gloucester Road hotel

I've been trying to burn up some miles on a credit card I want to get ride of and the Radisson Edwardian Vanderbilt used a reasonable number of miles and was in a neighborhood I was familiar with. Since I was visiting my myself, I got a single room. While small, it was adequate sized and had everything I needed-a in room safe, a small refrigerator, an ironing board, tea service, hair dryer, free wifi. The single rooms have a comfortable full size bed which is slightly bigger than a twin bed but smaller than a queen. There's no closet but there is a wardrobe where you can hang some clothes and a small desk. My room faced the busy Cromwell Road but the glass is sufficient to block the noise, I don't think the windows open.<br/><br/>The bathroom had everything I needed-bath gel, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, all in refillable dispensers on the wall, plus a couple of things that Americans seem to need, wash clothes and a single faucet and even a toothbrush holder. The shower had plenty of hot water,

This hotel appears to be a converted block of flats, to get to my room I had to go through at least 6 fire doors and I wasn't even the furthest away from reception. The hotel is a 5 minute walk from the Gloucester Road underground station which has three lines running through it, the Piccadilly line which gives easy access to Heathrow and the District and Circle. The ride from Heathrow is less than 45 minutes. To get to the hotel I turned left out of the station, the 1st street is Cromwell Road and the hotel is on that 1st block if you turn right on Cromwell. There's a large Sainbury's 5 minutes west on Cromwell and a Waitrose next to the Gloucester Road station. The Natural History Museum, V&amp;A and Science Museums are 5-10 minutes away on foot if you go east, there's no need to take the underground.<br/><br/>Breakfast was included in my rate and it was a decent breakfast with most of the makings of an English breakfast-eggs, sausage, bacon, mushrooms, beans, tomatoes plus bread for toast, cereal, pastries (although none were terribly sweet), fruit, juice, tea, coffee. It wasn't my favorite hotel breakfast but it was certainly adequate. The staff is the breakfast room were pleasant and efficient. On Sunday, the queue for breakfast was so long that I skipped it, I think a large tour bus arrived the night before and the hotel might have been near full occupancy.

• Written December 27, 2015

Radisson single room

DoubleTree by Hilton London Victoria: Nice hotel near Victoria Station

For the last 2 nights of our stay we stayed at the Doubletree Victoria. We were welcomed with a warm cookie and check in was fast. We had a twin room, there were two beds pushed together but they were large enough that you didn't feel like you were sleeping with the other person. The room had an in room safe, a small refrigerator, tea service, hair dryer, ironing board. The hotel has free wifi throughout, I'm not sure I used it since I had a UK sim card but however I got it, it was quite speedy.<br/><br/>Bathroom had a shower with either an overhead or hand held shower and they had all the toiletries, shampoo, bath gel, conditioner and lotion

The room rate, booked with Avios miles, included breakfast. They had the makings for a full English breakfast-eggs, bacon, mushrooms, baked beans, sausages- plus toast, pastries, fruit, meat, cheese, cereal, juice, coffee, tea. You could also get eggs made to order.<br/><br/>We were on the 4th floor and I heard a little noise the 2nd morning from outside but it wasn't as loud as it could have been seeing as we were right next to Victoria Station. <br/><br/>To get back to Heathrow I took a District line train to Baron's Court (Hammersmith also works) and changed to a Piccadilly line train, cross platform access means no hauling up and downstairs. The ticket queues are ridiculous at peak times at Victoria so I recommend topping up at another station, go a little further into the station where the line is shorter or doing it after peak times

• Written July 4, 2015

Pullman St. Pancras: Modern hotel near King's Cross

I had never stayed near King's Cross before, the rates always seem to be higher than they should be. But I booked this one using miles and it turned out to be a convenient location, 5 minutes from St. Pancras or King's Cross which is convenient if you are coming in via Eurostar or on a train coming from the north like York. To get to the hotel from Heathrow we used the tube since King's Cross is on the Piccadilly line.<br/><br/>We had a twin room, of the three we stayed in on this trip, this was the largest. The beds were comfortable and the room had all the extras I need, an in room safe, minibar, hair dryer, free wifi<br/><br/>The bathroom is quite modern and they supplied all the toiletries I need, shampoo, conditioner, lotion and bath gel all from Kiehl.

Our room rate, booked with Avios miles, included a breakfast buffet which was lovely, they had the makings of a full English breakfast-eggs, baked beans, bacon, tomato, mushroom plus cereal, yogurt, fresh fruit, meat, cheese, pastries, juice, coffee, tea plus I think they did eggs to order if you didn't care for scrambled. I can't imagine someone being disappointed.

• Written June 24, 2015

K&#43;K Hotel George: Earl's Court boutique hotel

I tried to get a hotel on Priceline but was unsuccessful for what I wanted to pay so I decided instead to use some airline miles to get the K&amp;K George located near Earl's Court. I loved the location of the hotel, it's just a 2 minute walk from the Earl's Court underground station and extremely easy to find. While Earl's Court is not the most central of locations, for a short trip like this one it's an extremely quick trip to and from Heathrow on the tube, there are lots of restaurants, two very large supermarkets on Cromwell Road and seems to be a safe area.

The room was very nice, we had a twin room on the 5th floor. Twin room in many of the boutique hotels means two twin beds pushed together, I think we could have moved the end tables into the center and pushed them apart but that seemed like more work than I wanted to do.<br/><br/>The bathroom was stocked with every toiletry I needed-shampoo, conditioner, lotion, bath gel, soap and even emory boards. The hair dryer was in the bathroom.<br/><br/>There was tea service, an in room safe, a TV.<br/><br/>Breakfast was included in our rate, it was a very nice spread with eggs, bacon, sausages, toast, cereal, meat, cheese, fruit, pastries, juice and I think there was even champagne for mimosas.

• Written December 8, 2014

Premier Inn Holborn: New Premier Inn Holborn

Premier Inn hotels are fairly standard, I have stayed in a dozen or more over the years in the UK and there are certain things that you can depend on. They are comfortable, clean and have the same amenities at all hotels. There will always be a tea service. The color scheme will always be purple. There will be extra pillows and towels in the room. There will be a hair dryer. <br/><br/>Now for what I don't like about Premier Inn. I have never seen one with an in room safe. The standard wifi policy is the 1st 30 minutes are free, damned if I can figure out how to save some of the minutes for a later time, buy a voucher if you want more time. Granted the charge for full access isn't much, I think it's £3, but in this day of needing to always be hooked up, most hotels offer free wifi. The toiletries consist of hand soap in a dispenser on the wall and combo bath gel/shampoo in the shower

There are many Premier Inn locations in London, this one was just opening when I booked it, you could still smell fresh paint in the hallways. It is now booking for more than double what I booked it for! I paid £69 for the 1st night and £79 for the 2nd night, in August on a bank holiday this is a steal for central London without using a blind bidding website.<br/><br/>Check in will eventually be automated, there was staff on hand to help but a machine spit out my room cards. They didn't have any maps of central London, just one of the neighborhood, I'm sure they will eventually remedy this.<br/><br/>Holborn is on the Piccadilly line so we were able to take the tube to Heathrow without changing lines, getting from Euston was a little more complicated but only required one change on the tube, it looks like a bus would have been more direct.

• Written September 1, 2014

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Corus Hotel Hyde Park: Hotwire again

My fourth and final hotel of this trip was also booked by using Hotwire, it was billed as a 4* in Hyde Park although I would seriously challenge whomever classified this as a 4* hotel. Granted I booked for only one person, but I ended up with just about the smallest hotel room I've ever had in London, just enough room for a bed, small desk and a night stand. And I'm guessing that Hotwire customers get the worst rooms in the hotel, from the minute I checked in I felt that I had inferior status. Had the room only been small, I wouldn't have really felt all that bad, after all it's just a place to sleep for me. But the not so pleasant part of the stay was not one but two false firm alarms, the 1st at 8:30am on Saturday morning was merely an annoyance as I scrambled to get dressed before it was shut off. The 2nd one, at 12:10am on Sunday morning, woke me up but I took my time getting dressed and sure enough it was turned off too. Add to that the nocturnal moaning of my neighbors at 3am on Saturday, after the 4th round appeared to be starting I pounded loudly on the wall and mercifully it stopped.

Only a few pluses, free wifi didn't require logging on multiple times. There was a room safe, an iron and tea/coffee service. The hotel was only about 5 minutes from Lancaster Gate, Hyde Park/Kensington Gardens just across the street, Paddington Station walkable although I didn't try it with luggage.

• Written April 14, 2014

Corus Hotel single room

Park Grand London Paddington: Hotwire-Paddington area

Our 1st few nights of the trip were spent at the Park Grand London Paddington which I got from Hotwire, you don't know which hotel, just the price. Paddington was a good location for our 1st night, we took the Heathrow Connect to Paddington and walked to the hotel, less than 10 minutes on foot with luggage. I tried to email them before we arrived to ask for a twin room but my email bounced back and then I forgot, at 1st they said I had booked a single but I hadn't, then there was a long discussion about whether a double or twin had more space, finally they gave me a twin. <br/><br/>The twin beds are in reality two mattresses on a single base that you could push about 3 inches apart, if it were not for the fact that there was double bed sheets and comforter. The bed was big enough where it wasn't too weird sleeping with a friend.

The bed was comfortable enough although I didn't care for the pillows, my traveling companion liked them. The shower was good, plenty of hot water and good pressure, there was shampoo, conditioner, lotion, bath gel and soap. The room had a safe, tea/coffee service, free wifi although you had to relog on if off for any period of time.

• Written April 14, 2014

Park Grand Paddington

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Holiday Inn Express Slough: Hotel in suburban London

I thought about putting this review in Slough but I doubt that anyone would ever see it as who the heck wants to stay in Slough? But it was the best of a bunch of bad options for us, Mr. Dabs needed to be at Bray Lake at 6:30am on Saturday, leaving from London we would have had to take a very expensive cab ride.<br/><br/>So who stays in Slough? The 1st night it seemed like almost no one, the 2nd night we woke up the next morning to find a giant group of German tourists on a bus trip eating all the eggs and beans.

The location, for what we needed, was great. It was 2 minutes on foot to the train station that goes into London Paddington, it was 8.50£ one way, 8.70£ for a cheap day return, the express train only took 15 minutes. it was 5 minutes from the bus station that goes to Heathrow. There's an enormous 24 hour Tesco next to the bus station. Nothing is close to Bray Lake, it was a £20 car ride to get there from Slough. The car service called by the hotel had no idea where it was, fortunately we had printed out a map as GPS didn't know where it was either.<br/><br/>The free breakfast was very good, there was scrambled eggs, sausage, baked beans, toast, pastries, juice, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, juice, fruit, yogurt, cheese.<br/><br/>The room was fine, probably the best bed we had on the trip, spacious with a loveseat and a desk. There was tea and coffee service in the room. <br/><br/>Free wifi in room, other reviews suggest that parking is not free so check if you are driving.

• Written September 11, 2013

Tune Hotel Paddington: The Ryan Air of hotels

Tune Hotels are a newer addition to the London hotel market, most of their hotels seem to be in Asia. It appears that the Tune in Paddington has been open since summer 2012, there are three other locations in London-Westminster, King's Cross and Liverpool Street. <br/><br/>The concept is that you pay for the room with a bed and then literally everything else will cost you extra. During the booking process you get to select which items you need, the Comfort Package is automatically added for 10£ which includes TV, wifi, towel rental &amp; toiletries, hairdryer and in room safe, you have to deselect if you want less. Luggage was an extra 2.50£ per bag, just for the large bags, using a credit card was an extra 10%.

Let's start with what I liked about the hotel, it is a decently priced hotel in a very high hotel cost market. You can save money by eliminating options you don't use. The hotel is only a year old so it's very clean. All of the rooms have air conditioning. If you need to stay near Paddington, it is very convenient.<br/><br/>Now what I didn't, the lowest level of room comes without a window, you are below ground level and you will hear the tube that runs from Paddington to Edgware Road, perhaps they could add that on as an extra, a simulation of the Blitz package! Fortunately that stops when the tube stops running.<br/><br/>The bed had about as much cushion as the floor and the pillows didn't add much, I supplemented mine with my towel which is extra, who travels without taking a shower and needing a towel? I asked just to make sure it wasn't a supplement for a decent towel, as it was quite a nice towel, but indeed you get no towel unless you add it on.<br/><br/>Would I stay here again? Probably not, it was one of the worst nights sleep I've had while traveling. But the concept is great for those on a budget, in the off season it looks like rates are as low as £45 per night.

• Written September 8, 2013

Ibis London City: More budget lodging in the east end

Priceline wasn't giving me the same rates for the 2nd part of our stay so I finally booked the Ibis London City which is located in the Whitechapel area of London. I had previously stayed at the Ibis Budget Whitechapel which is just up the street but I didn't like the shower opening into the bedroom for a stay with my niece so I booked this one instead.

A little disappointed that the wifi wasn't free, at every other Ibis I've stayed at it was. There are terminals in the lobby, 1L for 20 minutes, or you can pay 9.99L for use in your room per day (I think you also got upgraded TV). After I posted a review, the manager wrote me a note and said that they were making wifi free in the rooms and it appears to be so on their website.<br/><br/>Beds are comfortable compared to other Ibis hotels I've stayed at.<br/><br/>Bathroom a little small, small towels, toiletries were all attached to the wall, hand soap and bath gel which they say doubles as shampoo but I used my own.<br/><br/>Room was big enough but not a lot of space for luggage. Twin room is two beds pushed together, you can move them about a foot apart.<br/><br/>Teapot and tea complimentary, no room safe, no fridge, hair dryer

• Written June 11, 2013

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Marriott London County Hall: Priceline 5* Westminster

I started bidding much earlier than usual after seeing people get good hotels for my dates on betterbidding.com, I bid Westminster 4* and was accepted at $90 per night &#43; tax ($111US) and upgraded to the 5* London Marriott County Hall.For my niece's 1st trip to Europe it was a great location, easy to find because of it's location next to the London Eye, right across the Thames from the Houses of Parliament.<br/><br/>When we arrived at around 1pm they did not have a room ready, I asked for a twin and they said they had none available. So I was very pleasantly surprised when they showed us to our room and it was a twin with a view of the Thames, actually looking right into the pods on the London Eye

The room was very spacious and had every amenity you\d expect from a Marriott. An in room safe, tea/coffee maker, ironing board, trouser press, mini bar, and what I think was complimentary fruit and bottled water although we didn't eat any of it.<br/><br/>The shower had good pressure and plenty of hot water, toiletries were all I needed-shampoo, conditioner, bath gel and lotion. Nice big towels as well.<br/><br/>Also pleasantly surprised that we got free wifi in the lobby, although they do charge in use it in the room.<br/><br/>From Heathrow, we took the Piccadilly line to Hammersmith and changed to the District line, a no stair change of lines, cross platform and got off at Westminster station, I believe it was exit 1-2. To get to St. Pancras for the Eurostar, we went to Waterloo station, there is an entrance off York Road which is easier than going all the way to the main station entrance. Jubilee line, easy change to the Victoria line at Oxford Circus.

• Written June 11, 2013

K West Hotel &amp; Spa: Priceline-Notting Hill/Bayswater

I wasn't very happy at first when I got the K West Hotel when I bid on Priceline, the closest tube is Shepard's Bush which I thought to be a bit outside the zone I was bidding on. I was probably bidding a bit too early as this stay was after the cruise so I was bidding at least a couple of weeks out. I finally got it at $105US &#43;tax. It ended up not being too bad of a location, just a couple of stops from Notting Hill Gate where we spent Saturday morning and only about 45 minutes from Heathrow where we went on Sunday.<br/><br/>In the immediate area there was a Westfield shopping mall with a whole string of restaurants including a Wagamama, one of Jamie Oliver's restaurants and a branch of the Real Greek. I also spotted a Nando's and there were a lot of little takeaway kebab shops and fast food. There's a Morrison's supermarket on the main street as well as a couple of everything for a £ shops.<br/><br/>Shepard's Bush (central line) is the closest tube station but for our trip to Heathrow they suggested going to Shepard's Bush Market (Circle and Hammersmith/City lines) for an easier connection, it was 5-10 minutes up the street. To get to the hotel from Shepard's Bush station, you cross over the busy street in front of the station and then walk down a ramp and take the right branch at the bottom which is Richmond Way, the hotel is a couple minutes walk from there. The street is pretty deserted at night but I didn't have any concerns as I was traveling with my husband.

I'd have to debate Priceline's 4* designation for this hotel, the carpet is pretty worn and stained throughout the hotel, our shower had a bit of mold in it. But otherwise, it was fine. The room had everything you'd expect-a room safe, a small refrigerator, ironing board, TV hair dryer. <br/><br/>The shower was good and there were nice big fluffy towels. Shampoo, conditioner and bath gel as well as bar soap.<br/><br/>We didn't try getting wifi in our room but there were a few computer terminals in the lobby where we checked our email. We also didn't really check out the spa services, I assume everything was extra.<br/><br/>Checkin and checkout were fine, we arrived before the normal checkin time and had no problem getting a room right away. Breakfast is extra

• Written July 24, 2012

K West Hotel & Spa

Ibis Budget Whitechapel: Budget lodging in London's east end

I happened upon a post about a new Ibis hotel opening in Whitechapel and the rate was fantastic, 44£ for the 1st nights and 60£ for the other 4 nights. The hotel is brand new, they seem to have built the entrance inside a former car showroom and then up.<br/><br/>I reserved a double room as it was the same price as a twin. When I arrived very early in the morning from Heathrow, they first said it would be an extra 10£ to check in early and then said, sorrry, we were fully booked last night and that's not an option.<br/><br/>I think the area around the hotel is interesting with a lot of ethnic shops and restaurants. It's located on Whitechapel Road which is a very busy street at all times of the day. It was equidistant from the Aldgate East and Whitechapel tube stations and there is a bus stop almost right outside the hotel. It wasn't an inconvenient as I originally thought, the Tower of London is just a tube stop away, you can walk to many of the east end markets and a couple of the major train stations, Waterloo and King's Cross/St. Pancras, are just a few stops away

For those unfamiliar with the Ibis chain, Ibis hotels offer basic cheap accomodation with no frills. The beds are typically about as basic as you can get, there are no additional amenities like room safes, refrigerators, irons, tea service or hair dryers. But they are clean, very affordable and comfortable enough. Some of the Ibis budget hotels are formerly Etap hotels, this one is brand new as of June 2012.<br/><br/>Wifi was free, at first they gave you a new code every day, mid stay they gave me a code for the rest of my stay.<br/><br/>A buffet breakfast is extra, I didn't take it but it looked to be reasonably priced, 4-5£.<br/><br/>Although next to a mosque, I only heard the prayer call once, the windows seem to insulate the outside noise. The rooms have a/c so you don't really need to open the windows, in any case, there was a lock on the windows and they only opened a crack.<br/><br/>The double room I stayed in, room 610, had the shower enclosure inside the room so when you stepped out, you were inside the bedroom, not a bathroom. The toilet is behind a separate door. Because this is an Ibis budget hotel and not a regular Ibis, I think even the twin rooms have this configuration so it might be awkward if you are traveling with someone you don't want to see naked.

• Written July 24, 2012

Ibis Whitechapel

Premier Inn London Kensington - Olympia: Budget lodging Earl's Court

This was my second time staying at this hotel, the 1st time I booked it on booking.com, the 2nd time they had fixed their US credit card issues and I booked a non cancellable rate directly on their website.<br/><br/>The hotel is just a 5-10 minute walk from the Earl's Court tube station, the Earl's Court station is convenient for Heathrow as it is a stop on the Piccadilly line and also has connections with the Circle line and both branches of the District Line. The area has a lot of restaurants, many of which are chains, including Nando's, Strada, Gourmet Burger Kitchen and Masala Zone. There's a huge 24 hour Tesco a block to the west and a huge Sainsbury a couple of blocks to the east along Cromwell Road.<br/><br/>Breakfast wasn't included in our rate so we stopped every morning at the smaller Sainbury Express on the way to the tube station to get breakfast. The only thing I didn't like about this hotel is their wifi policy, the 1st 30 minutes are free, apparently by device since we both logged on, but it seemed like it only allowed us to log on once per day. You can add on for 3£ for 24 hours so it's not terribly expensive but this was the only hotel out of the four we stayed at where we didn't have completely free wifi. Since we ran out, I went to the reception area and asked them to look up a couple of addressed for me and they were very nice about it.

We booked a twin room and I think we got the same room I had last time as there were both handicap accessible twin rooms, quite spacious, both the bedroom and the bathroom. The beds were fine and the room was fine.<br/><br/>There were minimal toiletries, I think just dispenser soap. Because the room was handicap accessible, there were no doors on the shower, I remembered from the 1st visit not to leave clothing on the floor.<br/><br/>We checked in extremely late, 2:45am, after being delayed on the Eurostar and the night staff had our key ready and we were able just to go right to bed. Well done! There's another Premier Inn on Knaresborough Place, the Kensington Earl's Court location, so make sure you know which one you've booked.

• Written October 12, 2011