The Richmoor Hotel

Tags

Photography Trains Beaches
See Amenities

Weymouth's worst?

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 16, 2012

Prior to booking a 4 night break with my hubby and another couple, through Macpherson's, I emailed and phoned, the proprietor of the Richmoor Hotel Weymouth, Lorraine Godwin. I asked if the en-suite bathroom on their web site was a wet-room, and explained how my disabilities made it difficult for me to use a shower cubicle and nigh on impossible to stand under a shower over a bath.

She assured me the en-suite room shown was the wet-room in room 305. She pointed out that there were stairs to that room, situated next to the lift, but no more than in a normal house and there was a hand rail. I explained that I would not mind struggling up a flight of stairs if it meant I could have a shower in a wet-room every morning.
She advised me to contact Macpherson's and request room 305 and she would ensure I got that particular room, or I could wait until I arrived and look at a couple of other possibilities.
Needless to say, I made my request through Macpherson's and emailed Lorraine just before our holiday to thank her and tell her how much I was looking forward to having a holiday where I could actually have a shower every morning.
After getting out of the tiny lift (only room for two people); struggling up 10 stairs with my walking stick and the hand rail; I found a further 6 steps to negotiate before getting to room 305.
I thought 'this is worth it because I can have a shower every morning'.
Imagine my surprise and horror when I opened the door to the en-suite wet-room and found the shower cubicle was even smaller than a standard size cubicle with a step down into the shower situated extremely close to the front of the toilet.
I couldn't believe that someone could deliberately mislead a disabled person in such an obviously uncaring manner.
There were many complaints from others throughout the week including dirty rooms; filthy stained pillows; no pillow cases; no toilet rolls; no available rooms, even though they were booked and paid for.
Three couples and our coach driver had to be booked into two nearby hotels, but who was going to pay for them; Lorraine or Macpherson’s?
Whilst having dinner on our last night Lorraine informed our driver, in a loud voice, that her car was blocking the coach from leaving in the morning; adding that she would not move it until she had been paid. She told him that if he damaged it she would call the police.
A short time later she returned to the dining room to inform all guests they were to hand in their room keys when they came down to breakfast to enable the staff to start cleaning the rooms.
We all agreed to keep our keys until we were able to leave as there was only one toilet in the building should we be unable to return to our rooms. (Not that anyone would want to use the hotel's public toilet as there was no privacy from people passing in the street. A few guests had commented that they had seen a woman carrying out all of her ablutions through the closed window.
There were many problems at meal times including long waits; cold food; a fly under the food; starters not arriving; and others too numerous to mention.
Every meal time Lorraine appeared, sometimes more than once, to shout that the problems were due to her staff. During our last breakfast she even 'told off the guests' for not supporting her bingo and quizzes nor using her bar.
I believe that Lorraine's hotel gave us all an insight into how a badly run old people's care home would be.
As for the board outside advertising ‘5* reviews’ for Shelley’s Restaurant, I can only say ‘the regulars’ must have sat a long way from the two inches of thick black grease that was all around the base of the freezer, next to the table standing over rubbish and old scraps of food, which were there all week.
The weather was good so we spent most of our time wandering around the lovely shops and watching people enjoying the beautiful clean beach and sea. What a glorious place Weymouth is, but what a shame that a woman from Manchester can be the proprietor of what could have been a lovely hotel in a wonderful listed building.

Unique Quality: The building is a listed building and stands alongside others. From the outside the whole row of hotels look magnificent. The beach and pier, just across the road, were lovely.

Directions: It sits at the end of a long row of beautiful listed buildings opposite the pier and beach. A level walk to bars and shops.

Add to your Trip Planner

well worth staying at this hotel

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 21, 2011

me and my partner and my daughter stayed at the richmoor hotel for 3nights from the 9th of july 2011 we had a fab stay, members of staff were lovely the lady who owns the hotel was a kind approachable person that works very hard anything was not a problem the restaurant is well worth a visit lovely menu lovely food and a fantastic breakfast in nice surroundings. Or room was nice had wonderful sea view plenty of hot water tea and coffee facilities. The hotel is close to all of weymouths amenities the beach is just over the road ,most important thing to use was my partner had a knee replasment end of last year and fines a lot of steps a problem not at this hotel it had a lift made things alot easier yes we will stay again but for longer next time

Directions: opposite the band stand on waymouth seafront

Add to your Trip Planner

• Continental Breakfast
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Weymouth Travel Forum

Need advice about Weymouth, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for Weymouth and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Weymouth hotel reviews

Longhorn at the Lugger
Beef at the Beefeater
Nothe Fort
Things to Do
It is against the law to eat in this establishment
Don't expect good service
Restaurants
American style hidden from street view
Full English Breakfasts all day & Roasts from noon
Tyneham church
Tyneham school house
pay the ferry man!
Things to Do
Tyneham... abandoned but not forgotten
The Old Harbour
Nothe Fort
Castles in the sand
Monkey World
Portland Harbour
Always a pleasure
Always a pleasure
Restaurants
Swans , swans and more swans
Seeing the Sealife