Beaver Hotel

Seniors Budget Travel Business Travel
See Amenities
DAO's Profile Photo

CRAP REALLY

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 9, 2012

London is full over bad, shocking, nasty and even scary hotels. This is one of them. When I was walking towards the hotel, I thought ‘what a nice tree lined and quiet residential area’. Approaching the entrance, the hotel looked presentable. Up the stairs and into the ‘lobby’. That’s when I started to think that this was a mistake. The desk area and entrance were very dark. I mean the absence of lights or the absence of replacing light bulbs. I was greeted by a bored Eastern European student. Usually not a good sign. I asked for a quiet room not facing the road and on a high floor. No problem. I then tried to fit into the tiny elevator which then clanged and bounced slowly to the top of the very tall building. Once I was able to drag my suitcase outside of the elevator I had to negotiate the smallest corridors you have ever seen. If there was ever a fire in this place I have no doubt this would be a tragedy in the making. My room was on the very end and virtually impossible to get both the door open and get my suitcase inside. The interior instantly produced a sense of dread. Faded green carpet, tiny room, a bed that looked to be falling apart and a small desk in the corner. On the wall I was greeted by the world’s oldest hairdryer and an ancient TV. A quick look in the bathroom revealed a tiny plastic cubicle that was stained and faded. Only a contortionist could use the toilet and take a shower. It was as small as a phone booth. Possibly smaller.

The best bits were when I examined the bed and opened the window. The second I touched the mattress I knew I would not sleep well and have a backache. Absolutely the cheapest quality spring mattress. Opening the window to get fresh air was a big mistake. I was greeted with the amazing smell of cigarette smoke. Many past residents of my faded little cell had been smokers and most hotels in the UK have been smoke free for years. Not this room! No, they obviously hung out or near the window and the curtains, walls and carpet near the window advertised this fact. Despite looking out onto some tress and a quiet area – I had to shut the window on a warm day. Given there was no chance of air-conditioning it was either swelter or smell. I chose sweating as the healthier option.

Breakfast was included, but I really had no desire to find out what they could muster up in the morning. I fled in the morning and was so tired at work that it was mentioned by 2 senior managers to me. Not good.

So what else is wrong with this place? It is a very far walk to the nearest anything. Shops, restaurants, bars, anything.

Please note:
I keep mentioning struggling to get my ‘suitcase’ in doors and through corridors. This is a small cabin-sized roller bag. It’s in one of the pictures and you can truly see how small the room is.

My advice – pay a little more and get a much better hotel than here.

Directions: TUBE:
Earl’s Court (District, Piccadilly)

Add to your Trip Planner

View Professional Photos

Amenities at Beaver Hotel

• Continental Breakfast

London Travel Forum

Need advice about London, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for London and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest London hotel reviews

Clayton Crown Hotel
Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
Travelodge London Kings Cross Royal Scot
Good (3.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
The Bentley Hotel London (The Waldorf Astoria Collection)
Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Houses of Parliament - Palace of Westminster
Buckingham Palace
Tower Bridge
Things to Do
Airports (travel to and from)
Souvenirs
Pigeons
Driving in London
Department stores
Trains
Transportation
Docklands Light Railway (DLR)
Tour buses